Encouragement/advice flying with toddlers

Liltx

DIS Veteran
I am really getting nervous now. We leave on Saturday and have a one stop flight but no transfer. I will be stuck alone on the plane for 4 hours with my two toddlers. Please tell me I can do this. One is very opinionated. I am going to give them Motrin for their ears before we board. They have Video Now jrs., crayons, and little toys. Any other ideas? Dh says I should leave the youngest at home but I would miss her too much. She doesn't forgive me right away when I leave her for 6 hours. Won't let me hold her for awhile.

Monica

How old, exactly, are you toddlers?

I have flown with one, two, and now three - short flights, long flights, to Hong Kong and back. It's all do-able, try not to stress leading up to it, that only makes it worse because the kids feel your vibe of anxiety.

Some ideas:
- ear planes for kids if they are old enough
- you said motrin for ears, we sometimes have to do a little bendaryl for motion sickness (you might want to be prepared just in case)
- having said that, I always bring extra clothes for them AND FOR ME, ever since the first time one of them threw up on my at the start of a long flight
- if they still have bottle or sippy cup, that sucking really helps for take off and landing
- bring snacks, drinks, toys that are "treats" to them, stuff they like but don't get too often
- make a little schedule in your mind for the flight, play time, snack, drinks, potty, reading, etc. Will help you feel like you have a plan, even if you don't follow it
- be really nice to the stewardess from the moment you get on, even if she's not that nice to you. When one is sleeping and the other one wants to go the bathroom and you want someone to watch the sleeping one so you don't have to wake them up, you will need her help
-encourage them to strech and flex when they do get up for potty or a break - locked in the seat tends to make them cranky after a few hours.

I actually find getting through security much harder than the actual flight - take off your shoes, take off your jacket, fold the stroller yourself while holding the baby and life it onto the x-ray, etc.

Good luck and feel free to PM with any questions.

Susy

We took a 6-hour flight when our DS had just turned two. A friend had given me wikki-stix (colored-wax-covered strings) and colorful pipe cleaners to bend into all kinds of shapes. We also brought board books and some small favorite toys, including a few new ones. He didn't really know what to do with the wikki-stix or pipe cleaners, so I showed him, and from then on he was asking me to make all kinds of shapes: Star, fish, doggie! A long flight for me, but he was happy, and for six hours cooped up in a plane, that's all that matters, baby! :sunny:

I don't have advice (my kids are 21(in two weeks) and 19), but I want to wish :wizard: you the best......... :cheer2: :cheer2: Cheer you on and say you can do it!!!! :banana: and I hope you get to be near "good" passengers. he he

You can do it..........you can do it..........you can do it...........
:wave: :cool1: :wizard: :banana: :cheer2: :woohoo:

I'm not sure how old your kids are but I've been flying with my DD since she was 18 months. The last few times I brought along a portable DVD player and that works wonders! She just sits and watches a movie during the flight and hardly moves an inch. The headphones can be a bit of a challenge, but I bought some that hook over the ear and those seem to work.

Other things that worked for us: lots of stickers and a book to stick them in, lots of different and _new_ snacks and candies, different and _new_ items to play with. One trip I wrapped up some surprise toys and she got one each half hour. I stress NEW because anything unfamiliar will generally interest them for a while. Having a lot of different snacks, things that she'd never eaten before also helped pass the time.

Thanks for the tips, esp. about potty time.
I wouldn't be too nervous if I wasn't going it alone with two. I've been flying alone with my first since she was 2 months old. This is just the first time alone with two.

My kids are 14 months and just turned 3. I am going to keep her in a pull up as well just in case.

I wish I could use Benadryl but it just makes them hyper. Found that out the hard way at midnight.

I do have wikki sticks in my teacher junk so I will dig those out.

I can't believe I used to think one with my dh was hard! I miss the non walking baby days. Those were a piece of cake.

Thanks again,
Monica

The portable DVD player is a great idea. I traveled with my little ones a few times when they were small on my own. I found having NEW colouring books or toys or stickers was fun and I would hand them out at appropriate times. Also have them DRINK when the plane is taking off, landing. The ear pain is terrible. My middle child still does not like to fly because he remembers ear pain. I also packed favourite snacks which I handed out at various times.
Good luck. I know what you mean about not wanting to leave one behind.
Deb

I flew with my grand daughter a couple times. we used her car seat so she was comfortable and could see out the window too. Then we carried her cup wit a lid so no spills. we had gummy snacks for her to eat and of coruese the DVD's for the lap top, coloring books and stickers and some polly pockets to play with.

Oh we gate checked the stroller.

I have twins and have flown with them at 23 months, 2 1/2 and 3. THe longest flight was to Phoenix where our portable DVD player did not charge properly and we only had one window seat so that made my kids have a fit right away and the plane ride was horrible.

On all our trips to WDW we have had no issues except for when it is time to turn the DVD player off and the movie is not over.

Aquadoodle makes these great little pages with Thomas, Elmo or Princesses that you can buy. They are compact and come with a pen. Make sure you have water to put in the pen but this kept my girls busy for awhile.

New stuff is key. Even if it is little dollar store toys if it is new it will hold attention for longer than if it is an old toy.

Like others suggested stickers are awesome!!! Coloring books or just lift the flap books too.

Suckers or little candy. I used the suckers for landing when their ears were popping. It seemed to really help with their ears.

I would call the airline and make sure you have all your seats assigned and see if there is anyway you can get the front row behind first class. There is a bit more leg room and they cannot kick the seats in front of them. Unfortunatly AirTran will not let us reserve them but we can ask when we get there.

My daughter picked her nose on one flight and it was bleeding like crazy, so a change of clothes is definatly a good idea.

Things to pack in your baby besides regular items would be.... band aides & kleenex.

They make an item called Lil Toppers (here is a simliar item http://www.snacktrap.com/Detail.bok?no=32) They are toppers for a water bottle that does not let the water just pour out. www.snacktrap.com is also great to keep snacks from spilling everywhere. These are also great for inside the park.

Security for us was the hardest to get through cause my kids just did not want to take off their shoes or give up their items to the security people. Once we got through there it was pretty easy.

Most importantly just relax and have a great trip :D

My best suggestion is to make sure you are at the airport very early and talk to the people at the check in counter. When we went (family of 4-2 adults and 2 kids 10 & 5) last Nov we got to the airport early because I had a wierd feeling that day, and good thing as they had all four of us seated in different rows. Because we were early we managed to move people around and at least the 5 year old and I sat together the 10 year old was across the aisle and my husband was a few rows back. Coming home the same thing. We are going this Nov and this time I booked with an airline that allowed me to reserve our seats already so we the kids are with a parent.

When my DDs were 3 and 18 mths, they were too young to really care about the free toys you get with kiddie meals. I started collecting those for the trip, and passed it out on a regular basis. The good thing was since they were "disposable" I didn't care if the toys were dropped, lost, or misplaced later on. Luckily though, they fell asleep on the flight :goodvibes

When they were a little older (3 and 5), they were happy to watch the inflight movie, or listen to the inflight children's radio station. Snacks were a must since Air Canada doesn't supply anything any more :guilty: They each had a carry-on that they packed themselves, and seemed to be content.

Now that was only a 2 1/2 flight. I'll have a 4-hour-plus flight this time. I think Mommy will need the Benadryl :p

I agree with the bringing of "new" things is key. However, I've often made the mistake of bringing too much. Keep it minimal so your child will focus and you don't spend the whole time dealing with their stuff. When I brought too much stuff, the kids were just tearing through things and asking for the next thing and I went crazy getting in and out of luggage getting things. A new coloring book and stickers with a baggy of a few new crayons and some treats they don't usually get are my staples. Also think about spills. My kids are always bumping their trays and dumping whatever's on it and you have to be a contortionist to get everything picked up in the cramped space. A baggy with four crayons is better than a box of more when they bump their tray and spill everything. Aquadoodles are a great idea!

And yes, getting through security is the worst part. Also, I hate the part where you sit on the plane for a half hour before it takes off. Your kids get settled, stare a while, play with their first item and you're starting to panic because they're going through your plans to keep them quiet and the plane hasn't even gotten off the ground yet. My kids always settled in and did shockingly well. They are usually tired from the airport, security and wandering around waiting to depart and the motion of the plane eventually puts them to sleep. Lots of people to stare at, the different buckle to play with, exciting trips to the restroom fill in the rest of the trip. Oh and yes, get there early and make sure you have seats together. Have a great time!

Hey, that gives me an idea. Get to the airport late! "Oh, so you say there aren't any seats available together? Oh, darn." And then pretend like they don't belong to me. Just Kidding.

Anyway, I will definitely pick up some stickers, suckers, and I have the color magic markers and paper and I am takig extra clothes. Can't do crayons because my little one loves to eat them. Makes for very interesting diapers. I will check into the Aquadoodle. Hopefully they have a travel one. I am only taking one carry on and my purse. I figure the 2 carseats and the stroller will be enough to get through security. I have never had to take off their shoes before so I hope I don't have to this time. I have had to be wanded while a security person held my screaming child. They even patted her down and yes she just happened to have a full diaper. I guess they could tell from the smell that they didn't want to check that part out. Hehehe

I could just kill my dh for not going! Thanks for all of the kind words and ideas.

Monica

Hopefully the video now players have a few new movies. That just make the time fly by and the kids will be good if the movies are new.

I also agree that sippy cups are a must! Any child will spill the little plastic cups the airlines hand out and they will be handy to have in the hotel room too.

Another tip, take their shoes off when you get on the airplane. This really stops them from kicking the seat in front of them.

Remember that the worst part is the waiting at the airport now esp. since they want you there 2 hours ahead of time-ugh. Make sure you have stuff to do while waiting!

Take advantage of preboarding to install the carseats, gather up pillows and blankets and gate check the stroller. Don't rush off the plane when landing though because you will have to wait a little bit for the stroller to be brought up and you don't want to be standing at the gate with 2 little ones while the rest of the passengers zoom by.

You can do it! Just remember they will follow your lead so if you are calm and collected they will probably be good as gold but if you are uptight, they will be too! Take is easy, allow enough time and don't get uptight through security. When my kids were little, we practiced at home taking their shoes off and pretending to put their stuff up on the "grocery" checkout thing-lol. Most importantly, have your paperwork in order-lol. The hoards of people behind you in the line will feel your pain with the stroller and carseats but not if you don't have your boarding passes and id in hand!

Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter