emerald aisle/reserve

margaretCT

Mouseketeer
I have EA reservations made some time ago for a full-size car. Just called National about getting a full-size on EA since they now have full-size on Emerald Reserve. Was told I could only get what was on EA and if there were only intermediates there, that is all I could get regardless of ressie for full-size.

Anyone know if this is the case?

Margaret in CT

That is exactly right, the only size car on EA, basically, is intermediate. You can, however select from the full size aisle if that is what you have reserved, which is what I see you did.

Thanks, Gail. I thought you would be the one to answer!

So, even though my ressies are for EA, they will let me select from the full-size aisle if no full-size in the EA? Think I'll have any trouble with the agents in the garage?

Margaret in CT

Hi,
There should not be a problem at all, since you have reserved a full sized car and they are no longer putting them on the EA.
Even before this change, they did not give anyone trouble about going to the aisle that was for their reserved car class.
You should be fine and with no hassle.

I may open up a can of worms, but I just wanted to say something about National's procedures that we encountered last week.

After arriving late to pick up our car (9:30 p.m.), we went to the Aisle like we always do. There was not a lot to pick from. A lot of white cars, which I know some of you abhor. Seems like there were several Galants. Anyway, we finally decided on a silver Taurus. It looked okay, and our teenage son has one. We're used to driving it. We drive to the checkout, and the man (let's say English speaking challenged) kept on asking us for our Emerald Membership. We've never carried it! Not sure we have a hard copy. We kept on referring to the fact that we couldn't have made the ressie without having membership. Not exactly sure what he said, but that we were supposed to check at the counter.:rolleyes: What!!! We never check at the counter. We pick out our car, and we're off. We've done it many times at MCO and other places. Please check our ressie number. He can't do that.:confused: Why not?:mad: We ask for a manager. None available. Finally, he tells us that we can take care of it when we get back. AND DO WHAT??? He gives us absolutely no paperwork. So are we "stealing" their car or what? As soon as we drive off, I immediately call the National 800# on my cell phone and they show no problem. Checking back in was a little bit of a problem, though. I finally spoke to an English speaking person. Never could tell if they showed which car we checked out or not, but they at least confirmed my internet price. It took longer than 15 minutes to straighten out. I think it was because several were checking their cars in at the same time, and we got lost in the shuffle.

Anyway, please beware. Especially if you are checking your car out late in the evening. If problems do arise, there's no one to help.

I have yet to have a problem with National, but, then again, I always have the card, the coupons and anything else I think I might need. :) Yes, I abhor white cars. LOL

I carry all the coupons, DC card, etc. too. But, I've never carried the Emerald Membership card. Don't know why. We've always had great service with National. I really like the idea of picking my own vehicle. In Detroit last summer, we waited around until a brand new Chevy Blazer came in. We drive a Ford Explorer, so we were thrilled to. We were really surprised to have this happen at MCO, though. I always expected if I rented from L&M that this would more likely happen with them.

Just realized my DD is signed on at this computer. I'm really wdwfam. Sorry for the confusion.:D

I may not always have the card but I make sure that I write down the EC number on the ressie.

I seem to remember getting an email or something from National a while back saying that you must have your Emerald Club card with you when you pick up your car. I can't find the email here as my work PC died a month or too back and all my saved emails died along with it. :( I always carry my card with me when I travel and plan on renting with National... It is better to be safe than sorry....

Thanks for the advice - I'll carry all cards and ressie numbers with me.

I should mention we had sort of the opposite from wdwfam happen to us last January. I didn't reserve EA but regular counter service because the price was about $40 less. Went to the counter (no line!). Agent at the counter looked up our reservation, computer showed that we are Emerald Aisle members, and he told us to just go to EA and pick a car! I even questioned him, mentioning that reservations were for counter not EA, and he said "no problem". We were charged an extra $16 over our reservation amount on return, but that was quickly taken care of with a phone call once we were home.

We'll see what happens when we get there and just go with the flow!

Margaret in CT

My sister signed up for the EC a few weeks ago. She had the option of getting the plastic card or not getting it. The website told her she didn't need to carry another plastic card and her DL would be all she would need.

With the new "quick rent" program, you don't even need to be an Emerald Club member to skip the counter. If you make your reservation with a credit card, you can skip the counter and head directly to the size aisle you reserved. I saw a commercial on TV tonight for it. You would still need to be an Emerald Club member to pick from the Emerald Aisle. With the new restrictions on Emerald Club, there really isn't much advantage to have it. The main advantage of EC for me was skipping the counter, anyone can do that now; plus, paying for an intermediate and getting a full size, that is gone now.

Originally posted by DebbieB
With the new "quick rent" program, you don't even need to be an Emerald Club member to skip the counter. If you make your reservation with a credit card, you can skip the counter and head directly to the size aisle you reserved. I saw a commercial on TV tonight for it. You would still need to be an Emerald Club member to pick from the Emerald Aisle. With the new restrictions on Emerald Club, there really isn't much advantage to have it. The main advantage of EC for me was skipping the counter, anyone can do that now; plus, paying for an intermediate and getting a full size, that is gone now.

There is a joker in the deck here, you cannot use coupons with "quick rent". Yes, there is still an an advantage to being an EC member, sometimes you get rates a non member cannot get.
This new program, which really is not new, is for business travelers and impatient people who don't need coupons. :)

I joined emerald club about 3 months ago, and have never received a car. I contacted National, and the representative told me that I did not need the card because my reservation would show the emarald club # on it.

Originally posted by jtjcwise
I joined emerald club about 3 months ago, and have never received a car. I contacted National, and the representative told me that I did not need the card because my reservation would show the emarald club # on it.

Just a word to the wise, what is said on the phone and what happens when you get there are often two different things.
IMHO, it is best to carry this tiny little credit card size card. That way you will not have any issues when you get there.

Thanks Gail. I just called Emerald Club and asked for a card. Was told again that I did not need one. I insisted. They are to mail me one today.

I called about my full size, Emerald Aisle reservation in August. I was told that I should go to the Emerald Choice Aisle to get a full sized car as the EA will PROBABLY only have intermediates. She also told me that the prices at EC are supposed to be lower so that the EA people aren't penalized when getting a full size car. We'll see about that.

So, where do I go, EC or full size aisle?

Originally posted by Letsbgoofy
I called about my full size, Emerald Aisle reservation in August. I was told that I should go to the Emerald Choice Aisle to get a full sized car as the EA will PROBABLY only have intermediates. She also told me that the prices at EC are supposed to be lower so that the EA people aren't penalized when getting a full size car. We'll see about that.

So, where do I go, EC or full size aisle?

You can check both, they are right next to each other. EC is Emerald Club, EA is Emerald Aisle. EA is right next to full size.

Thanks Gail. I just called Emerald Club and asked for a card. Was told again that I did not need one. I insisted. They are to mail me one today.

Good, after what WDWFam went through, I would not chance it.
And, honestly, we have always been asked for ours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter