Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

Well, they wouldn't have to too badly. Let people buy resale. If it gets too cheap, ROFR it and force prices up closer to direct. Hoard those points and rent them out at a hotel room discount to ride the wave.
Then add lots of incentives to sell not sold out resorts, making the price seem high, but actually not be too bad.

The oly problem with this is during a recession, a lot less people go to Disney. These DVC properties cost a lot per night to stay there. Even SSR and OKW cost More than the non DVC moderates. So Disney would most likely lose money on that deal. If they let you and me buy it at a lower price we will go there, pay our dues, visit Parks, buy tickets and food. All those help Disney in hard times.

Well, I’m impressed! Our waitlist came through last Sunday. Our documents were mailed via FedEx (we’re in the UK). Everything was received on Thursday. I wasn’t expecting a prepaid envelope to return them, so was glad of that. FedEx collected them from our house to go back over the pond yesterday, and they should arrive back in the US on Monday! Pretty good service! Guess they’re trying to get as much done by the 25th as possible. The 25 points we bought are already in our account. The UY is April and it was no problem for them to bank them for us. We also got the Soarin tour booked for the summer and ordered our blue card :-)
Think we’re gong to enjoy being direct members!

The oly problem with this is during a recession, a lot less people go to Disney. These DVC properties cost a lot per night to stay there. Even SSR and OKW cost More than the non DVC moderates. So Disney would most likely lose money on that deal. If they let you and me buy it at a lower price we will go there, pay our dues, visit Parks, buy tickets and food. All those help Disney in hard times.

This is all speculative, of course, because the severity of a recession could impact tons of factors. They could rent out ROFRd points for as low as $11 a point and still make enough to cover the MFs, and make some back on the purchase price.
I saw the same thing happen with housing during the big recession. Many people who lost value on their houses, especially townhouses, chose to rent them out at rates just high enough to cover the mortgage instead of selling at a loss. Not ideal, but a way to ride out a tough stretch.

This is all speculative, of course, because the severity of a recession could impact tons of factors. They could rent out ROFRd points for as low as $11 a point and still make enough to cover the MFs, and make some back on the purchase price.
I saw the same thing happen with housing during the big recession. Many people who lost value on their houses, especially townhouses, chose to rent them out at rates just high enough to cover the mortgage instead of selling at a loss. Not ideal, but a way to ride out a tough stretch.

I agree, but Disney has a lot of other resorts to fill up. Private housing is a little different then a for profit cooperation. There are a lot of resale contracts on the market now. The prices are high. During a recession I can imagine how many contracts are for sale. In order for Disney to buy them it would cost huge money. It also does not make sense for Disney to tie up its money owning more than it needs to in these resorts. When times are tough companies will sell stuff off cheap to get cash because they need to. Ford sold Land Rover and Jaguar during the recession for $2.3 billion and contributed $600 million to retirement fund, for a net of $1.7 billion. Ford bought them for $5.3 billion. But I will agree if prices are low, it is wise to invest in DVC like others here have. There are people bought contracts for $75 per point 2-4 years ago, gone on several vacations and are now worth $100 per point. They could sell today and make a good profit. Wish I would have gotten some at those prices. I’m always late to the party.

I agree, but Disney has a lot of other resorts to fill up. Private housing is a little different then a for profit cooperation. There are a lot of resale contracts on the market now. The prices are high. During a recession I can imagine how many contracts are for sale. In order for Disney to buy them it would cost huge money. It also does not make sense for Disney to tie up its money owning more than it needs to in these resorts. When times are tough companies will sell stuff off cheap to get cash because they need to. Ford sold Land Rover and Jaguar during the recession for $2.3 billion and contributed $600 million to retirement fund, for a net of $1.7 billion. Ford bought them for $5.3 billion. But I will agree if prices are low, it is wise to invest in DVC like others here have. There are people bought contracts for $75 per point 2-4 years ago, gone on several vacations and are now worth $100 per point. They could sell today and make a good profit. Wish I would have gotten some at those prices. I’m always late to the party.
I twisted DW’s arm to pull the trigger on a 250 point BCV contract for $84/point in 2014.

It seemed like a high price to pay considering that those contracts were so much cheaper just a few years earlier.

I kicked myself for not buying just a little earlier...

Contracts are always going to test the limit of what the market can bear. For buyer and seller. $84/BCV might seem a great deal now, but that’s in retrospect. If prices had dropped back down into the 60’s now, it wouldn’t seem like nearly as good a deal.

If I invested 100K in Bitcoin right now, it could make me rich next month. Or wipe me out............

Last edited:
We bought 200 BCV in 2002 for $68/point (that was price with a 15% discount). Just sold it for $130. Took many vacations in those 16 years. Pretty sweet deal overall.

But buying back in at another resort, personal preference.

As I only have resale contracts (3), I have requested 25 direct at BWV for my same UY to beat the 2/25 date thinking of the points as future "insurance". I currently have the benefits prior to the change after April of 2016. I understand the benefits are not guaranteed and are just a plus of owing this timeshare. I have been on a wait list for about two weeks. My Guide knows if these points do not come through by the dead line, I am not interested. I followed up today with her. At this point, she questioned why I would not just add on 25 Aulani points. Even though I feel sure she knew the reasons, I replied. She told me there was more than 10 people ahead of me on the wait list. I will be curious to see if DVD will attempt to fill these type of low hanging fruit orders by the deadline knowing that 99% of these 25 points wait listed orders will go way.

Ha. My guide told me there was no way to know how far down the waitlist I was. Your guide seems to know.

As I only have resale contracts (3), I have requested 25 direct at BWV for my same UY to beat the 2/25 date thinking of the points as future "insurance". I currently have the benefits prior to the change after April of 2016. I understand the benefits are not guaranteed and are just a plus of owing this timeshare. I have been on a wait list for about two weeks. My Guide knows if these points do not come through by the dead line, I am not interested. I followed up today with her. At this point, she questioned why I would not just add on 25 Aulani points. Even though I feel sure she knew the reasons, I replied. She told me there was more than 10 people ahead of me on the wait list. I will be curious to see if DVD will attempt to fill these type of low hanging fruit orders by the deadline knowing that 99% of these 25 points wait listed orders will go way.

For BWV, I don't know how panicked they would be if they can't sell all their points right now. The Epcot resort resales have shot so high, I am sure they will have a pretty easy time finding enough demand to want to buy them direct. Especially with BWV being cheaper than BCV.

Ha. My guide told me there was no way to know how far down the waitlist I was. Your guide seems to know.

I think it depends on the length of the waitlist and how many points you're looking for. My guide said she couldn't see names on the wait list. However, when I told her how many points I was looking for, then she was able to see where I was because I was the only person on that list with that exact point request. If there are a lot of people asking for 25 points, then it might be tough to tell.

I think it depends on the length of the waitlist and how many points you're looking for. My guide said she couldn't see names on the wait list. However, when I told her how many points I was looking for, then she was able to see where I was because I was the only person on that list with that exact point request. If there are a lot of people asking for 25 points, then it might be tough to tell.

Ask for 26 points - maybe that'll move you up the list a bit.

We just called and got a guide this morning to waitlist Poly / BLT at 50 points to try and get started before the 75 point requirement. If it doesn't work out then our buying strategy will have to change. Don't want to finance and profit sharing at work hits this past week. Here's hoping, I've been hard selling the Mrs. since 2013 and she finally caved :)

The economy/stock market is cyclical, so there will be a next recession. The prices might not be what they were several years ago during the last recession, but they should be lower than what they are now.

For the record, I didn't know anything about DVC during the previous recession, so I was late to the same party, too.

LAX

!!!

If "others are looking for 25, too", maybe asking for 26 or 30, 35, etc. will put you "next to" others on the list instead of behind. If I'm DVD, I want to sell the most points possible, so I'd prioritize higher numbers first.

I have a slight problem and would appreciate hearing from those in the know. I spoke to a guide a few days ago who told me she had 25 points that I could add on (same use year, different resort). But then a few minutes ago I heard from my original guide who offered my 50 points at my home resort but a different use year. He said he couldn't give me 25 points at my home resort since it was a different use year and would therefore be a different account. The problem is this...when I asked him about buying 25 points at a different resort (but same use year) he said that isn't possible, you can only add 25 points on at your home and same UY. So which of these guides is right? The original one who told me I could is off for the weekend and I won't be able to talk to her to (hopefully) finalize the purchase until Monday. So which one is right? Thanks to those a lot more knowledgable than me!

!!!

If "others are looking for 25, too", maybe asking for 26 or 30, 35, etc. will put you "next to" others on the list instead of behind. If I'm DVD, I want to sell the most points possible, so I'd prioritize higher numbers first.

I think someone reported earlier in the thread that if 50 points become available, the person with a 50-point request lower down on the waitlist won't jump over someone with a 25-point request higher up (not sure how accurate/true this is).

LAX

!!!

That's not how the waitlist works. If they ROFR or get returned a contract of 200 they will just go down first come first served. So if the person wants equal or less then tey will be given the opportunity to buy and a little time to decide. If they have changed their mind it goes to #2 that fits within the points reacquired. So once they reach you it's just a question if they have the number of points left that you want. Say they have 50 points. If you want 25 points that's what you will be offered and then they'll go down the list numerically to the next person that wants those last 25 points. So if it gets down the line and they have 25 points left and it would have been you but you said you wanted 26 points then they'd skip over to the next person who wanted 25 - since that's all they have. If someone puts down a ragne they'll check with them or maybe on the odd occasion of wanting a large number of points they'll ask if they want to buy part of what they want and waitlist for the rest. But going from 25 to 26 points does zero for you.

Last edited:
That's not how the waitlist works. If they ROFR or get returned a contract of 200 they will just go down first come first served. So if the person wants equal or less then tey will be given the opportunity to buy and a little time to decide. If they have changed their mind it goes to #2 that fits within the points reacquired. So once they reach you it's just a question if they have the number of points left that you want. Say they have 50 points. If you want 25 points that's what you will be offered and then they'll go down the list numerically to the next person that wants those last 25 points. So if it gets down the line and they have 25 points left and it would have been you but you said you wanted 26 points then they'd skip over to the next person who wanted 25 - since that's all they have. If someone puts down a ragne they'll check with them or maybe on the odd occasion of wanting a large number of points they'll ask if they want to buy part of what they want and waitlist for the rest. But going from 25 to 26 points does zero for you.
But they won't orphan points. If they had 26, they likely would not sell 25 and lose the 1. I suspect they do pick and chose somewhat. Also, it seems they sell them when they get them at times rather than holding them for the wait list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter