"Educational" sites & activities?

Flyrfan

Mouseketeer
After informing my DD's principal in September of our trip to WDW and the Wonder, I was informed today that I need a list of educational sites and activities that she will see and do. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much,
Hal

not sure the age of your DD but this is some of things we've done when pulling our son out of school:

R is for Robots, pictures and writing about robots and all the ways they are used and where in WDW and theme parks

San Juan: rainforest tour and using spanish language

Snorkeling: looking for types of coral, bring back if on the beach. photograph various fish

Journal: most common, writing a daily journal of who, what,where etc

St. Martin: history of 2 different countries and how they co-exist

Our son misses 3 days of school when we pull him out for teacher's convention week and 3 days President's week.

So far we've not had any problems!

If you're going on the Wonder, you're going to Nassau. I've heard mention of a Pirate Museum. If you get a room at Atlantis/Comfort Suites, you'll be able to learn about the mythology if the Lost Continent by touring The Dig. Plus, they have one of the largest collections of marine life at Atlantis.

Not sure about Freeport. Are you going there on your cruise?

If you don't want to spend alot of extra money - have your child interview employees from different countries on the ship. Have her compare the different cultures.

I should have mention that DD is 6. Dave, we are going to Nassau. The pirate museum sounds like fun as she is interested in Blackbeard from our many trips to NC's outer banks.

Thanks Dave, Sheree and Jody. Keep those ideas coming.

Hal

Hey Dave - any information for my DD who is also 6. We are doing the 7 night Magic. She will be missing a week of school and will doing a journal and will have her own camera. Anything interesting for her? Thanks :)

Hal -

Here's another place that looks kinda' interesting.

www.alcbahamas.org

LOVETHATMOUSE -

I'll take a look. I know that it's a little more difficult to find info about St Maarten because there are four languages in use there (English, Dutch, French, and Papiemento).

Dave, in the future I would suggest you refer all askers to the sites you listed! My list just grew tenfold! The problem I now have is trying to narrow it down to a reasonable and sensible itinerary for a six year old. I wish I knew a teacher in Nassau to facillitate an hour or two in a Bahamian school. Imagine her telling them that she sailed there with Mickey Mouse!

Thanks once again!
Hal

My daughter had to do a daily journal (among other activities) when I took her out of a week of second grade for the 7-night cruise. Included in the Personal Navigators are informational sheets about the history of the ports of call, and those were very helpful for her in preparing a little bit of history about each port.

Also along Deck 5 are framed "facts" about the ship that are very entertaing and informative (such as which is taller, the ship or the Eiffel Tower?). My daughter used some of those fun facts as well. She also had to do a daily weather report as part of the science part of her journal, and we simply flipped to the ship's channel for updated information on weather, humidity, breezes and seas.

There are plenty of ways to educate while on the cruise. The journal is a wonderful memory and my daughter got an "Excellent" on her project, plus the week gone counted as a week of school, with independent study (arranged in advance and approved by the school district).

Enjoy! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter