ECV Newbie - Offsite Rental Questions

jasmine82998

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I'm new to the DIS boards and especially DISabilities, but I've been poring over the forums looking for answers to my questions. I hope some of you can help:)

My husband and I have been going to WDW for 20 years, we went for our honeymoon and have another trip planned in July to celebrate our anniversary. We are taking our 3 kids, ranging in age from 9 to 17 years. He has RA and Lupus and so for the first time, we'll be renting an ECV. We're staying at CBR and I understand that with the construction, it's not possible to walk to the Custom House, so it may be really inconvenient to try to meet a vendor there. I'd love to hear thoughts on this. I'm also looking for recent reviews and recommendations on Buena Vista, Randy's, Scooterbug, Best Price, and any other vendors you guys care to comment on. Has anybody heard of/used Gold Mobility?

In addition to just general customer service and scooter condition from the companies, my husband is nervous about operating one of these in the parks and likes the idea of getting some instruction from a vendor like Randy's, I've read that they come out and show you how to operate. However, I know that Buena Vista is popular (although not the cheapest) and that they can drop off with Bell Services, along with Scooterbug and Best Price. I'm trying to figure out the other differences.

For example, I'm confused about what limitations a non-featured Disney provider has if something malfunctions while we're in the parks? Would we have to get it to the entrance? (I assume featured providers would come to us wherever we are? Any experience with this?)

Maybe we're worrying about this way too much, but of course we want to be proactive about this and try to avoid any problems. I think having the ECV will make all of us much happier.

I really appreciate any insights and recent experiences you all can share. TIA!

I used Randy's because I felt like I needed some instruction as a first time user. Especially in how to disassemble it to put it in a car trunk. I used them several times. I now have my own scooter so no longer rent.

I never had any issues so don't know about how in park problems are handled.

I have fibromyalgia and as such have to use an ECV while in the parks.

I love and always use Walker Mobility. They aren't the cheapest, but I've rented from them on every one of our previous trips and have never had an issue with one of their ECV's breaking down.

I would honestly have him practice ahead of time. Maybe going to your local grocery store and using one there to try it out. While they are not the exact ones some companies use, it will give him a general feel for them. Also, Walker will give you instructions on how to use it. I've always found their drivers to be very nice and helpful. They do allow you to schedule a time for them to drop off. I've always hung around the lobby waiting for them.

I would call them and ask because they might be able to drop it off closer for you.

I was going to use Buena Vista, but their ECVs aren't water proof and I was concerned about it. Considering that it's Florida and sometimes there is a lot of rain.

I also recommend that he take a bit of time to practice around the resort. Letting him get a feel for the controls.

If youmhave any questions please feel free to ask.

Good point, I had not considered the need for waterproof, I was actually unaware that Buena Vista scooters were not. Thanks for the tip about Walker! Now if I can convince him to practice at the grocery store....

Regarding BV and waterproof scooters. A couple weeks ago, I was caught in Animal Kingdom during a Florida monsoon (rain). Leaving AK, people walking were taking off their shoes because the water was so deep. Yet, my Buena Vista Scooter got me where I needed to go, no problem. And as I looked around, I never saw one Buena Vista Scooter dead in the rain. And it was POURING!!! Yes, I used the poncho that they'd supplied (as much to keep me dry) and I had an umbrella.

@jasmine82998 Hi, and Welcome to our little corner of The DIS! :)

First of all - please reassure your hubby that the controls on most of the rental ECVs are pretty straightforward, and pretty simple. There is a "speed" knob (typically has a picture of a turtle on one side, and a picture of a rabbit on the other side... Hmmm... :)) Around these parts, we recommend beginners start on "turtle" and go slow - especially until they feel more confident! Then there is the "throttle" itself - typically either you "squeeze" a handle back towards the tiller, or there is a thumb operated control that you push with your thumb to go. That's about it... no brakes, so you have to learn to watch other bi-pedals very carefully in case they step out in front of you! (and they will)

@CatNipRules had an excellent suggestion - once the scooter has been dropped off, the Resort is a *great* place to practice! Here he can practice turning (especially get used to how tightly he can turn) backing up, maneuvering through food service and shops, curb cuts, and - of course - getting on and off the bus! Another great place for daytime practice (if you have some free time in your plans) is Disney Springs; during the day it is often not very busy, and those buses (again during the day) tend to not be as crowded, so it's a good first experience. He can just let the bus drivers know that he is a scooter newbie, and they will help him get parked. He will be surprised at how quickly he gets the hang of it!

Regarding rain: Some vendors will have a clear "shower cap" to put over the controls; others include a poncho, like Walker. Obviously, we try to keep our scooters (and especially the exposed electronic controls) as dry as possible, but it's Florida, and you will most likely get caught in a shower at some point. Don't panic - use what the vendor supplies, and he can always wear a standard Parks poncho, put the back of the poncho OVER the seat back (so it hangs down behind the scooter) and put the FRONT of the poncho OVER the front of the scooter to cover the controls, and go on!

As far as *who* to rent from, that's really subjective. I would look at the most commonly mentioned vendors here (currently seems to be Buena Vista, Walker, Apple and Yellow) and I always reached out via phone to any company I was considering renting from. I would ask them questions to see how they treated their customers, and what their policies were, for example, if the rental unit had a problem after the office was closed for the night. They may try to sell you "insurance" - ask each vendor specifically what it covers (and ask to see the policy beforehand so that you have time to review it thoroughly - and then ask your insurance agent that supplies your Homeowner's and/or Auto insurance policy(s) if you would be duplicating any coverage prior to signing up) Ask them any questions you might have *now* on the phone. You can typically tell a lot about a company by the way they answer (or don't!) these kind of questions. And remember that price and quality are not always equal; when I was a purchasing agent, I learned very quickly that the highest priced vendor and the lowest priced vendor were often not the best choice; the former is often overpriced and ripping you off, and the latter is usually cutting corners and offering an inferior product or service. You might pay a bit more for the quote that falls in the middle, but it's also more likely to be a realistic quote and a solid offering.

Although it's been a few years since I rented from an external vendor (like some other folks around here, I have my own ECV that I travel with), here's a few tips that might help - regardless of the vendor!

First of all - and I can't stress this enough - charge the battery overnight, every night. A rental ECV should be able to go all day at WDW if it is properly and fully charged overnight. The exception to this is if a customer needs a larger size (bariatric) unit, and tries to "get by" with an undersized unit, the battery will drain faster because it is under a greater strain than it is designed for. Make sure the ECV you rent is the right size for you! :)

It's important to have the office hours & availability of your mobility vendor at hand. (Prior to owning my own ECV, I would make an address book or contacts entry in my phone for any mobility vendor I would rent from, so that I could access the number easily. In the "Notes" area, I would include information like office hours, and ask them about emergency after hours information.)

Do take the time to ask the vendor what their current after-hours policy is regarding an emergency - like if the unit stops working altogether (but the battery was charged) or if the battery won't hold a charge at all. Most of the time you will know if there is a problem well before they close the office for the day, but rarely, an ECV will fail later in the evening. If it should happen, find a Cast Member, tell them you need assistance (you may have to ask for a Manager to come help) and then leave a message for the vendor, and follow any emergency instructions they have given you.

Some people will confuse the *cosmetic condition* of the scooter with it's ability to perform. Rental scooters do receive a lot of abuse at the hands of either new users, or careless users ("It's not mine, so I don't care!") and often this shows in the cosmetic condition of the scooter - scuffs, scrapes, broken plastic covers, ripped seats, etc. As long as the unit *performs* - meaning it runs all day on a full charge, and gets you around safely - don't worry about how it looks.

Buy a cheap, colorful bandana, or a roll of brightly colored/patterned grosgrain ribbon from either Walmart or Hobby Lobby (they both sell ribbon and bandanas - pick something you like!) and tie it somewhere on the ECV that is visible. It will help distinguish your rental from a sea of identical rental units outside of rides, attractions, dining, etc. The more you decorate your rental, the easier it will be to spot quickly!

Last, but not least, snap a couple of photos of the ECV when it is dropped off (both sides of the unit) and keep your paperwork safe somewhere besides the scooter. Just like when you rent a car, you want to be able to prove the condition the unit was in when it was delivered to you. Make sure that the battery is fully charged when it is dropped off (it should be) and that the charger is with the unit.

And go have fun! :)

@jasmine82998 Hi, and Welcome to our little corner of The DIS! :)

First of all - please reassure your hubby that the controls on most of the rental ECVs are pretty straightforward, and pretty simple. There is a "speed" knob (typically has a picture of a turtle on one side, and a picture of a rabbit on the other side... Hmmm... :)) Around these parts, we recommend beginners start on "turtle" and go slow - especially until they feel more confident! Then there is the "throttle" itself - typically either you "squeeze" a handle back towards the tiller, or there is a thumb operated control that you push with your thumb to go. That's about it... no brakes, so you have to learn to watch other bi-pedals very carefully in case they step out in front of you! (and they will)

@CatNipRules had an excellent suggestion - once the scooter has been dropped off, the Resort is a *great* place to practice! Here he can practice turning (especially get used to how tightly he can turn) backing up, maneuvering through food service and shops, curb cuts, and - of course - getting on and off the bus! Another great place for daytime practice (if you have some free time in your plans) is Disney Springs; during the day it is often not very busy, and those buses (again during the day) tend to not be as crowded, so it's a good first experience. He can just let the bus drivers know that he is a scooter newbie, and they will help him get parked. He will be surprised at how quickly he gets the hang of it!

Regarding rain: Some vendors will have a clear "shower cap" to put over the controls; others include a poncho, like Walker. Obviously, we try to keep our scooters (and especially the exposed electronic controls) as dry as possible, but it's Florida, and you will most likely get caught in a shower at some point. Don't panic - use what the vendor supplies, and he can always wear a standard Parks poncho, put the back of the poncho OVER the seat back (so it hangs down behind the scooter) and put the FRONT of the poncho OVER the front of the scooter to cover the controls, and go on!

As far as *who* to rent from, that's really subjective. I would look at the most commonly mentioned vendors here (currently seems to be Buena Vista, Walker, Apple and Yellow) and I always reached out via phone to any company I was considering renting from. I would ask them questions to see how they treated their customers, and what their policies were, for example, if the rental unit had a problem after the office was closed for the night. They may try to sell you "insurance" - ask each vendor specifically what it covers (and ask to see the policy beforehand so that you have time to review it thoroughly - and then ask your insurance agent that supplies your Homeowner's and/or Auto insurance policy(s) if you would be duplicating any coverage prior to signing up) Ask them any questions you might have *now* on the phone. You can typically tell a lot about a company by the way they answer (or don't!) these kind of questions. And remember that price and quality are not always equal; when I was a purchasing agent, I learned very quickly that the highest priced vendor and the lowest priced vendor were often not the best choice; the former is often overpriced and ripping you off, and the latter is usually cutting corners and offering an inferior product or service. You might pay a bit more for the quote that falls in the middle, but it's also more likely to be a realistic quote and a solid offering.

Although it's been a few years since I rented from an external vendor (like some other folks around here, I have my own ECV that I travel with), here's a few tips that might help - regardless of the vendor!

First of all - and I can't stress this enough - charge the battery overnight, every night. A rental ECV should be able to go all day at WDW if it is properly and fully charged overnight. The exception to this is if a customer needs a larger size (bariatric) unit, and tries to "get by" with an undersized unit, the battery will drain faster because it is under a greater strain than it is designed for. Make sure the ECV you rent is the right size for you! :)

It's important to have the office hours & availability of your mobility vendor at hand. (Prior to owning my own ECV, I would make an address book or contacts entry in my phone for any mobility vendor I would rent from, so that I could access the number easily. In the "Notes" area, I would include information like office hours, and ask them about emergency after hours information.)

Do take the time to ask the vendor what their current after-hours policy is regarding an emergency - like if the unit stops working altogether (but the battery was charged) or if the battery won't hold a charge at all. Most of the time you will know if there is a problem well before they close the office for the day, but rarely, an ECV will fail later in the evening. If it should happen, find a Cast Member, tell them you need assistance (you may have to ask for a Manager to come help) and then leave a message for the vendor, and follow any emergency instructions they have given you.

Some people will confuse the *cosmetic condition* of the scooter with it's ability to perform. Rental scooters do receive a lot of abuse at the hands of either new users, or careless users ("It's not mine, so I don't care!") and often this shows in the cosmetic condition of the scooter - scuffs, scrapes, broken plastic covers, ripped seats, etc. As long as the unit *performs* - meaning it runs all day on a full charge, and gets you around safely - don't worry about how it looks.

Buy a cheap, colorful bandana, or a roll of brightly colored/patterned grosgrain ribbon from either Walmart or Hobby Lobby (they both sell ribbon and bandanas - pick something you like!) and tie it somewhere on the ECV that is visible. It will help distinguish your rental from a sea of identical rental units outside of rides, attractions, dining, etc. The more you decorate your rental, the easier it will be to spot quickly!

Last, but not least, snap a couple of photos of the ECV when it is dropped off (both sides of the unit) and keep your paperwork safe somewhere besides the scooter. Just like when you rent a car, you want to be able to prove the condition the unit was in when it was delivered to you. Make sure that the battery is fully charged when it is dropped off (it should be) and that the charger is with the unit.

And go have fun! :)

We've always used walkermobility.com.and have always been happy. Once a friend with us did something silly and couldn't start it back up in MK. I called them and they came immediately to the park, fixed it simple and we were fine and dandy. I'm sure the other places are fine but Walker has been in business a very long time.

As someone with Lupus and RA, let me tell you to check out the tiller and controls.

I used Walker every time that I rented. They were wonderful.

But. . . . . . . .

Their controls were actually pretty hard on my thumbs. I really didn't realize it until my husband purchased a scooter for me and while we were shopping, I was able to try various tillers. Wow, there is a huge difference between how they work.

The scooter that I own is much better for all day use.

As someone with Lupus and RA, let me tell you to check out the tiller and controls.

But. . . . . . . .

Their controls were actually pretty hard on my thumbs. I really didn't realize it until my husband purchased a scooter for me and while we were shopping, I was able to try various tillers. Wow, there is a huge difference between how they work.

The way their controls and my thumbs work is the main reason I stopped using Walker. Too bad, Walker was very good to work with, and made pick up and delivery of the scooter extremely easy.

But. . . . . . . .

I barely made it through my first (and only) rental with Walker because of the tiller design/thumbs issue. MY thumbs and hands were in so much pain after just the first day :-( The Buena Vista scooter I rented later that stay, and for all our subsequent stays, has a tiller design that works much better *for me*. No thumb/hand pain ! :-)

SW

Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread! The information given here, and the time you all took to respond to my questions, was fantastic and very much appreciated. It really was invaluable to us as we were planning our trip to be able to read about other peoples' experiences and advice. It made us feel very well prepared, and we decided to go with a company outside of the preferred Disney list. We just got back and everything went smoothly! I wanted to post back in case anyone else is interested to know about our experience with the company we used. We researched everything to death, and in the end decided to go with Gold Mobility Scooters. My husband was definitely concerned about the tiller with his RA after reading some of the posts here, and theirs was the kind where you didn't have to use your thumbs. Their prices were a little better than Randy's, and he liked the idea of having a fan and a phone charger, plus the lighting underneath. The scooter was basically new, it was a Pride Victory 10 and he said very smooth ride. He called the company when we boarded DME and they were waiting with ECV at the CBR Custom House when we got there. No problems with it dying, even after he forgot to charge it one night. Although, it was running sluggish, so definitely needed to do that (oops)! There was one day where the bus driver did something to the brake and it started beeping on the way to the Animal Kingdom. He called the company to ask about it and they met us at the gate with a new scooter within 5 minutes of the bus dropping us off. There was tons of rain, but they provided little shower caps and a bunch of free ponchos, so we made sure to put that over the controls when the rain started and never had any trouble.

Overall we had a great trip and my husband said the ECV is a must from now on. It made it possible for him to enjoy the parks, especially the World Showcase at Epcot. He loved being able to zoom around without worrying about a cane or having to stop and rest before moving on to the next one. Regarding CBR, that resort is very spread out, but was still quite beautiful in spite of the construction. Having the ECV enabled him to explore the resort with us and actually enjoy the ambiance of the Caribbean Cay bridge. I'm really glad we went ahead and got that ECV. It was so worth it for our family, and I was so happy that my husband had the mobility he needed to enjoy the parks with us, rather than spending his nights in pain after walking all day.

Again I thank all the wonderful folks who shared their experience and advice with us. Cheers!

I'm glad to hear that you have such a great experience with them. I've reserved a rental with them in October. It's always great to hear good stories.

This is great to know, we are going with them in January. Everyone I know who has used them has loved them, but still good to hear from more people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter