Easy and delicious Thanksgiving meal

moon

DIS Veteran
Craigs%20Thanksgiving%20Dinner%20in%20a%20Can.jpg

YUMMM!

Speaking of mincemeat pie, does anybody actually enjoy it? I tried it a few years ago. Sickeningly sweet. Nobody couldn't even finish one slice and 90% went into the trash.

When I was a kid, I thought mincemeat referred to an actual animal, some small, cute, and furry woodland creature. Awwww, how horrible that people eat such things.

Speaking of mincemeat pie, does anybody actually enjoy it? I tried it a few years ago. Sickeningly sweet. Nobody couldn't even finish one slice and 90% went into the trash.

When I was a kid, I thought mincemeat referred to an actual animal, some small, cute, and furry woodland creature. Awwww, how horrible that people eat such things.

My grandmother made it every year for Christmas, because my grandfather loved it. I don't think any of us kids ever ate it.

Traditional English mincemeat pie did actually contain meat, usually mutton, venison or beef, along with dried fruit as the filling. Modern versions may use suet as an ingredient, but most are a combination of fruits (dates, figs, raisins, apricots, apples, etc.) and spices.

OP, I'm guessing your photo is not real, however they do make canned turkey meat, similar to tuna, which doesn't look too bad.

My grandma used to make mincemeat pie for my grandpa - the kind with meat. He had it ALL to himself....

Speaking of mincemeat pie, does anybody actually enjoy it?
I do. My mom makes mincemeat tarts (so mini-pies) and I don't find them too sweet. The raspberry tarts (basically raspberry jelly in the middle of the tart) is very sickeningly sweet.

My mom used to make mince meat pie (not with meat, but apples and raisins I think?) for holidays. We made a hard sauce for it - butter, sugar, rum. Since she has passed on maybe I will attempt it for Christmas this year.

Mincemeat pie is thankfully a something that dinna move from the old country to America for any of my family I know of.
Works for me;).

I've had Canadian mincemeat pie that isn't bad. It wasn't sickeningly sweet like what we know here. It had actual meat in it and lots of spices. It actually kind of tasted like spice cake or a really good gingerbread.

The mincemeat pie tradition seems to have not made it past my parents' generation in my family. My father loved it, and a close friend of my mother's still loves it, so my mother still makes pies, but no one in the subsequent generations seems to really love it.

OK, I'm game to try and guess the layers (working from top to bottom):
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
???
Gravy
Pressed turkey
Cranberry sauce
Broccoli
Sweet potatoes
??? More gravy or maybe blended-up pumpkin pie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter