dvc begging for referals

Texas is listed as an eligible state but last I checked, we couldn't receive any real estate gift over $50. Could be an issue.

:earsboy: Bill

Any idea what states are eligible?
From the terms on the member website:
"Eligible Jurisdictions" refers to jurisdictions where Members may participate in the Program and where Introduced Guests must reside, in order for Member to be eligible for Disney Experience. Current Eligible Jurisdictions are: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawai`i, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah and Washington. DVD reserves the right in its sole discretion to add or remove Eligible Jurisdictions without prior notice. Program void where prohibited.
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/dream-it-forward/terms/

Greed makes them want to sell as fast as they can and they make so much profit, they will keep building DVC resorts until there isn't anywhere to build. The more they sell, the harder it is to book where you want, when you want unless you own the resorts where you want to book.

I hear you but part of the 'sell' is that you can stay anywhere on Disney property... albeit the 11 month or 7 month window. My home is SSR which I like but I don't always want to stay there! And I don't always plan a trip a year out... as I'm sure not everyone does. Sometimes you just want to plan one a few months out, and depending on the time of year, you're lucky if you find anything. For example, I tried booking a studio for the first week in December at 7 months out (ok, a busy time of year but...) and there were no studios AT ALL available on property! I ended up with a 2BR at SSR! A lot more points than I was looking to use but that was my choice!

I hear you but part of the 'sell' is that you can stay anywhere on Disney property... albeit the 11 month or 7 month window. My home is SSR which I like but I don't always want to stay there! And I don't always plan a trip a year out... as I'm sure not everyone does. Sometimes you just want to plan one a few months out, and depending on the time of year, you're lucky if you find anything. For example, I tried booking a studio for the first week in December at 7 months out (ok, a busy time of year but...) and there were no studios AT ALL available on property! I ended up with a 2BR at SSR! A lot more points than I was looking to use but that was my choice!

Disney tells you what you could do, not that will be able to always do it or that it makes financial sense to do it. You can use your points for things other than DVC stays but it doesn't make financial sense to do so. You can use fast passes for your favorite attractions, maybe. You can book your favorite resort and room category, maybe. Disney is great at smoke and mirrors, the key is knowing how they think and making the best use of what they have to offer.

Disney tells you what you could do, not that will be able to always do it or that it makes financial sense to do it. You can use your points for things other than DVC stays but it doesn't make financial sense to do so. You can use fast passes for your favorite attractions, maybe. You can book your favorite resort and room category, maybe. Disney is great at smoke and mirrors, the key is knowing how they think and making the best use of what they have to offer.

Indeed! I've made great use of my points since being a member from 2008. Hilton Head, Vero, and various resorts. It's just frustrating at times! :)

Almost half of the the states aren't even eligible. I just don't see anyone running out to tell their friends about DVC because of this promotion. I think those who already have friends that are interested will just tell them to put them down as a referral if they decide to buy directly from DVD.

It's a bad marketing campaign, I wouldn't say it's desperate. I've seen so much worse from other timeshares.

You sure it's not the other way around, that members have been begging for a referral program? A lot of members were very unhappy when they did away with the paid referral program.

Greed makes them want to sell as fast as they can and they make so much profit, they will keep building DVC resorts until there isn't anywhere to build. The more they sell, the harder it is to book where you want, when you want unless you own the resorts where you want to book.

I don't see that as inappropriate, all were guaranteed is the ability to book our home resort subject to availability and the timing to try to book other resorts in the club currently at 7 months out.

I think the hard thing for me is trying to convince people they should go direct when resale is so much less expensive. However, there are people out there who just want to go that route and if you have people who want the new resorts and are okay with paying more for the product, at least the current member is offered something, which wasn't the case. What is interesting is that there is no incentive for the buyer to have the referral. In the old program, IIRC, a buyer with a referral got a few dollars off per point of the purchase price.

Even if I were eligible (which my state is not) I also couldn't recommend direct to a friend or family member. I'd be educating on resale.

The biggest problem with this "promotion" is the lack of states that are allowed to participate. There are going to be some ticked off people when they figure out they aren't going to be rewarded for their referral because they live in one of the ineligible states.

What is interesting is that there is no incentive for the buyer to have the referral. In the old program, IIRC, a buyer with a referral got a few dollars off per point of the purchase price.
I interpreted
We'll send them a special offer to try Membership and save, thanks to you.
to mean that they'd get some kind of discount, but it's not specified anywhere.

The biggest problem with this "promotion" is the lack of states that are allowed to participate. There are going to be some ticked off people when they figure out they aren't going to be rewarded for their referral because they live in one of the ineligible states.

Then the people should get the law makers in their state to change the laws to allow the awards. It's the same with DVD selling DVC, they are not licensed or registered to sell in many states or countries.

After years of singing the praises of DVC a friend of mine stayed at a DVC (I rented her my points for almost nothing) she bought in and used my name as her "referral". NOTHING. I even sent an e-mail asking if I was due any referral gift. Unfortunately there was no current referral gift at that time. I was so bummed. Oh well..my friend was very happy with her purchase. I will continue to tell anyone who asks about DVC. Bought in 1999 and have no regrets. I do however advise friends who ask to look into resales. HOWEVER I think I should have gotten a Thank you card.

Regardless of the deal sales must be hurting I think that is what we should take from this also how many of us know people who would plunk down full price
For a dvc?
...or that we would even recommend to family & friends to pay full price. That said there are probably lots of members who aren't aware of the disboards and the savings advantage of resale.

...or that we would even recommend to family & friends to pay full price. That said there are probably lots of members who aren't aware of the disboards and the savings advantage of resale.

Sorry but looking for clarification... I thought if you bought resale you lose some DVC perks? TIA

Sorry but looking for clarification... I thought if you bought resale you lose some DVC perks? TIA

Yes, DVC has begun some restrictions but most are not with the extra thousands of dollars required to purchase direct and the ones of some value can be gained with a small direct add on after the resale purchase.

Early in our ownership we felt that DVC was worth referring people to and we refereed many even though we could not receive a monetary award. We have a stack of letters thanking us for doing so. Back then DVC felt much different, more personal, we got to know management and CM's, had lunch a couple of times with managers, received special extras like VIP room cleanings and gift baskets. Today our policy is to not actively refer but to answer questions if asked even if the person asking might not like the answers.

Back then DVC felt much different, more personal...

DVC didn't just feel different and more personal 20+ years ago, it WAS different. Resort managers can't have lunch with 500,000 members. I've never received a "gift basket", but in my time as an owner, I've accumulated more free baseball caps, lanyards, pins, prints, passport holders and other swag than I know what to do with.

DVC is a timeshare, plain and simple. The absence of gift baskets and executive lunches doesn't diminish the product DVC aims to deliver: lower cost accommodations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter