dvc begging for referals

dwight16

DIS Veteran
wow just got an email about referring family's to become DVC members and they will treat me to a special experience. they wont tell you what it is BUT it wont cost more then 120 bucks in the fine print. yeah so i am going to refer a friend to drop 20k and your going to give me a 120 dollar "perk" another FAIL by DVC copper creak must be selling great if they are begging for this. you would really need to make it worth my while to get me to "refer" a friend to this a probably i would not think about unless there were onetime points offered. i smell the desperation of DVC i think they are probably scrambling for sales....i was just on a cruise and they were BEGGING.....

It does make you wonder what the $120 perk is though. A GC or maybe an unique tour? Or $120 worth of DVC promotional swag lol.

This shouldn't be a surprise. Most sales people offer incentives for referrals. That's how many sales are made....

Here's the relevant portion of the terms and conditions:

"Disney Experience" refers to a non-monetary item or service, such as dining or entertainment, which will have a value of at least $120, that a Member will be eligible for if one of his or her Introduced Guests purchases an Ownership Interest from DVD. The Disney Experience can be chosen by a Member from a predetermined list to experience at the Walt Disney World® Resort or the Disneyland® Resort. Disney Experiences are subject to change without notice. DVD reserves the right to substitute a Disney Experience of equal or greater value or eliminate any Disney Experience.

It does make you wonder what the $120 perk is though. A GC or maybe an unique tour? Or $120 worth of DVC promotional swag lol.

Yes, at least $120 value. Interesting that they don't give any indication of what some of those offers may be. Also note that there is only a certain number of States that permit this, and that both the member and the referral must live in one of those States.

Regardless of the deal sales must be hurting I think that is what we should take from this also how many of us know people who would plunk down full price
For a dvc?

wow just got an email about referring family's to become DVC members and they will treat me to a special experience. they wont tell you what it is BUT it wont cost more then 120 bucks in the fine print. yeah so i am going to refer a friend to drop 20k and your going to give me a 120 dollar "perk" another FAIL by DVC copper creak must be selling great if they are begging for this. you would really need to make it worth my while to get me to "refer" a friend to this a probably i would not think about unless there were onetime points offered. i smell the desperation of DVC i think they are probably scrambling for sales....i was just on a cruise and they were BEGGING.....

Pretty negative opinion of DVC as in your post you say they beg, failed and are desperate. I was on a cruise last December and I got a phone call before hand mentioning going someplace on the day we boarded, which I ignored and never heard from them again. You must think all banks are desperate by offering referral bonuses. As others said it just guarantees it is worth at least $120, not that it can't be more but yes that is all someone should expect. If you think DVC is bad though are you telling me you'd refer your friend for $600 but not for $120.

DVD had a referral program for cash and they stopped it a couple of years ago. As posted only some states allow this due to being in bed with the real estate industry supporting licensed agents.

:earsboy: Bill

It's something they've done for years if you did referrals and they bought but stopped a few years ago due to legalities. It's smart to let your current customers help you find new ones. There is SO much opportunity that DVD leaves on the table when it comes to sales that they could do and still be professional. EVERY single person who checks in to a DVC resort who is not a member should have some type of communication inviting them to tour if they have not done so within a specified period, say 5 years.

Sailed on Dream in May, sales pitch still the same as it's been but more polished presentation. Only one mixed drink offered and freebies in room have declined lol.

To call it begging, well i don't agree, it's the same old same old. If anything as Dean said, it's of the kid-glove approach as to mining leads/referrals, especially considering their product is TS sales.

Are sales really hurting? They're still building DVC resorts wherever they can put them... and honestly, the last few times I've booked it's getting harder and harder to get into the resort I want, the type of room I want or I get wait listed for part of the stay.

Are sales really hurting? They're still building DVC resorts wherever they can put them... and honestly, the last few times I've booked it's getting harder and harder to get into the resort I want, the type of room I want or I get wait listed for part of the stay.

Greed makes them want to sell as fast as they can and they make so much profit, they will keep building DVC resorts until there isn't anywhere to build. The more they sell, the harder it is to book where you want, when you want unless you own the resorts where you want to book.

:earsboy: Bill

Sales appear to be strong but the program itself is a fairly modest expense. The terms and conditions state that the reward will be at least $120 in value, but I sincerely doubt that it will be much more than that. Perhaps a meal voucher or invitation to some dessert party. Maybe even a one-day theme park ticket (the $120 is somewhat curious--right about the cost of a single day pass.)

Members can only get one reward per year, it must be redeemed within 12 months and it cannot be transferred, sold, etc.

Bottom line: If you refer a friend or family member who buys just 150-200 points, the expense for this referral program could be under $1 per point for Disney. That's a pretty good tradeoff to get members actively talking about DVC again.

Yes, at least $120 value. Interesting that they don't give any indication of what some of those offers may be. Also note that there is only a certain number of States that permit this, and that both the member and the referral must live in one of those States.

Any idea what states are eligible?

Pretty negative opinion of DVC as in your post you say they beg, failed and are desperate. I was on a cruise last December and I got a phone call before hand mentioning going someplace on the day we boarded, which I ignored and never heard from them again. You must think all banks are desperate by offering referral bonuses. As others said it just guarantees it is worth at least $120, not that it can't be more but yes that is all someone should expect. If you think DVC is bad though are you telling me you'd refer your friend for $600 but not for $120.

There's a trend in OPs postings. "Fail" may mean "it's not what I would do" and nothing else :) Sometimes people just like to appear negative :)

I think the hard thing for me is trying to convince people they should go direct when resale is so much less expensive. However, there are people out there who just want to go that route and if you have people who want the new resorts and are okay with paying more for the product, at least the current member is offered something, which wasn't the case. What is interesting is that there is no incentive for the buyer to have the referral. In the old program, IIRC, a buyer with a referral got a few dollars off per point of the purchase price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!