DVC Banked Point question

snoopywoodstockus

Mouseketeer
We are buying a DVC Resale with 200 banked points. 200 + 200 banked points from 2016, banked points need to be used by 6/1/18.

Does that mean that we must book and take a trip by 6/1/18 using those points or that me just must book a trip that will use those points by 6/1/18.

Thanks for all help here.

They need to be used for a stay with a checkout date on or before 6/1/2018.

Lost my mind, so I removed the details from my previous post.

Yes, I have a June use year. Any points banked from the 2016 use year are good for nights at a DVC Resort, but the last night they can be used for is May 31, 2018, with a check-out date of June 1, 2018.

And I'll go ahead and delete erionm's first post.

Okay, Thanks for the info.

My wife was right on that. I thought as long as you had booked a stay with those points by then (even if the stay was after 6/1/18) we would be good. It seems i was wrong. :)

Okay, Thanks for the info.

My wife was right on that. I thought as long as you had booked a stay with those points by then (even if the stay was after 6/1/18) we would be good. It seems i was wrong. :)

Think of it like this, you are paying nightly for your room with points instead of cash. On 6/1, your points disappear so how can you use them for payment?

:earsboy: Bill

Follow up newb question: for current year 2017 points, do those points also have to be used by 6/1/2018? Can a reservation be made using those points for a stay in July 2018?

Follow up newb question: for current year 2017 points, do those points also have to be used by 6/1/2018? Can a reservation be made using those points for a stay in July 2018?
If you are also talking about a June UY any 2017 points would need to be banked into the June 2018 UY in order to use them for a July 2018 stay.

Just to add two things. If you already have an existing reservation, sometimes the CM can "reallocate" points-that is, apply your newly purchased banked points to a reservation you already have. Also, perhaps you'll be lucky enough to get a very kind CM, as we did when we purchased a contract with banked points-she let us bank the points into the following year, under the theory, she said, that the points had not been previously banked by us, the current owners. Were we very lucky or has that happened to anyone else? We were quite pleasantly surprised.

Just to add two things. If you already have an existing reservation, sometimes the CM can "reallocate" points-that is, apply your newly purchased banked points to a reservation you already have. Also, perhaps you'll be lucky enough to get a very kind CM, as we did when we purchased a contract with banked points-she let us bank the points into the following year, under the theory, she said, that the points had not been previously banked by us, the current owners. Were we very lucky or has that happened to anyone else? We were quite pleasantly surprised.
I think you were very lucky since the contract is supposed to dictate what use year the points are from and can be banked into, not the ownership. They often allow point reallocation assuming it doesn't violate home resort priority and it is part of the same membership. There have been multiple reports of Disney allowing new resale owners to bank points that the previous owner did not bank even though it was past the banking window (i.e. at 11 months rather than the normal 8 month cutoff). However my understanding of the condo documents/rules regarding points says they can only be banked forward one year. If so that should follow the contract despite ownership changing. That's awesome that you were able to use them but I would not expect that to happen with any frequency for others going forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!