Dues year question

shairpdrh

DIS Veteran
I should probably understand this after all of the posts I have read, but I am stuck on how to think about what time period dues "cover". I know 2018 dues will be announced in late 2017 and paid in early 2018 and are on a calendar year (not UY) schedule. Are those dues on our 2018 UY points? I assume so, but somehow it seems odd (probably because we have a Dec UY and that is so late in the year).

The main reason I am trying to reason this out is because we bought in Sept 2016 and so we received 2016 points and have points coming for 2017. I understand that we will pay prorated 2017 dues based on our contract date, but I keep getting twisted when I assign those dues to a year of points.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I am sure the answer is simple!

I should probably understand this after all of the posts I have read, but I am stuck on how to think about what time period dues "cover". I know 2018 dues will be announced in late 2017 and paid in early 2018 and are on a calendar year (not UY) schedule. Are those dues on our 2018 UY points? I assume so, but somehow it seems odd (probably because we have a Dec UY and that is so late in the year).

The main reason I am trying to reason this out is because we bought in Sept 2016 and so we received 2016 points and have points coming for 2017. I understand that we will pay prorated 2017 dues based on our contract date, but I keep getting twisted when I assign those dues to a year of points.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I am sure the answer is simple!

As you said, dues are on a calendar basis, not use year. If you buy direct, dues are pro-rated based on the day you sign for the remainder of the year. Use year is not a factor.

Because it's on a calendar year each UY is paying for slightly different dues.

For example Feb is paying for 1/12th of 2017 and 11/12ths of 2018. So a Dec UY would be paying for 11/12ths of 2017 points and 1/12th of 2018 points.

One way to look at it is to distinguish between that which you actually own, to which dues apply, and the use year/point system. Despite that everyone treats points as the thing of ultimate value with DVC, points are actually declared to have no monetary value in the official documents (which is actually why DVC has a rule against charging money for the transfer of points; that is legally necessary to be consistent with the concept that points are deemed to have no monetary value). Instead they are defined to be merely symbols that represent your ownership interest created for use in the reservation system.

What you actually own is a percentage interest in a "unit." A unit can be one or more rooms at the resort (e.g., at OKW each building is a unit). That is the real estate interest that is actually subject to dues, including property taxes. DVC is timeshares but legally it is just like any other condominium project when it comes to dues. Typically, condominiums have a calendar year for application and payment of dues, and that is true regardless of whether you purchase your condominium real estate interest early, mid, or late in the year. That allows for creating one annual budget, and not twelve, to cover all the different units in the resort. It conforms to property taxes assessed by the government and chargeable to unit owners, which are always assessed on a calendar year basis (though actually paid twice per year during months other than the first or last month of a year). It prevents complications that would be created if instead dues had to be budgeted according to use year, e.g., some use years have more ownership interests than others and thus you would need to budget different percentages of total dues payble per use year.

You pay the 2018 rate on all the points, no matter the use year. Trying to break it down just confuses things.

You pay the 2018 rate on all the points, no matter the use year. Trying to break it down just confuses things.

I agree. I have a February UY and I still don’t bother thinking about it even though my UY causes it to make the most sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!