DS v WDW Resort Costing Question

JillianS1128

Mouseketeer
Hi All!

Planning my first ever (solo!) trip, and while I know the argument re: on-site v. off and all the reasons for/against depend on my own prefs etc., I am currently doing the blunt math re: staying at a DS resort v. a value on-site, and I just want to make sure I'm not leaving anything out in my calculations (hidden costs etc. a newbie may be unaware of).

My math has them at pretty near in price (even though the deal I found for the DS hotel is amazing), once I factor in resort fees, cab to/from airport, etc. - that doesn't seem right. Thoughts?

I will not be driving or renting a vehicle. June 16-20 (yup, last min- that's my style :)).

Flying in from Canada, but irrelevant, since that's the same regardless!

Pop: (4 nights)

Package (room, non-hopper, 5 day tickets

Total: $1,085 USD

B Resort: (4 nights)

$440 USD/night (including taxes and $30/night resort fee)
5 day non-hopper ticket: $420 (with taxes)
Cab to/from airport (roughly $130 USD round trip_

total: $990 USD

Am I missing anything glaring? It just doesn't seem like a huge savings to go w/ DS (even though what I found on hotels.com is an amazing bargain).

Thanks in advance!

J

If you wanted to make the B Resort a better deal, skip the cab and take a shared ride shuttle from Mears Transportation. The cost for roundtrip is $37. If you book online, you can save 10% using the code WEB10.

http://www.mearstransportation.com/

A shared ride shuttle means you may stop at other hotels before reaching your hotel. But, the same thing can happen when you use Disney's Magical Express to get to a Disney Resort. So, that's more of an "even" comparison.

It doesn't appear that you're missing any fees or costs in your calculation. If you use Mears instead of a cab, that brings your savings to about $192.

Keep in mind that the B Resort is going to be arguably much nicer than Disney's Pop Century Resort.

Maybe you could price using Uber/Lyft from the airport, that should be cheaper than the cab price you quoted above.

You mention taxes on the B resort and BYO ticket prices, but no mention of taxes on the WDW resort. Is that a real total price you're reporting there? Will that be the actual total price you pay?

You mention taxes on the B resort and BYO ticket prices, but no mention of taxes on the WDW resort. Is that a real total price you're reporting there? Will that be the actual total price you pay?

it's a good question- and I too was doubting my homework on that. I'm having a VERY tough time with the website these past 5 days (Stitch eats my page every time I go 2-3 pages without "clearing my browser history" (tried Mac and PC, three diff browsers on each, logging in/out, hard refresh, etc etc)., so I couldn't double check at work.

HOWEVER, I did just book the B Resort! Such a great deal ($69 USD/night - not incl resort fees, but still) for King sized "captivating". Not going to find a better deal than that, I don't think.

Thanks!

it's a good question- and I too was doubting my homework on that. I'm having a VERY tough time with the website these past 5 days (Stitch eats my page every time I go 2-3 pages without "clearing my browser history" (tried Mac and PC, three diff browsers on each, logging in/out, hard refresh, etc etc)., so I couldn't double check at work.

HOWEVER, I did just book the B Resort! Such a great deal ($69 USD/night - not incl resort fees, but still) for King sized "captivating". Not going to find a better deal than that, I don't think.

Thanks!

Good deal! I thought "how did $69/night become $440/night you reported above?" Then I saw your totals at $990 and think you must have meant $440 total for room for length of stay. I really was thinking "how can that be a better deal than a value?" but if it's length of stay that would make sense. Have a great "first solo" trip.

ETA: I've been solo a few times myself. Nothing beats weaving out of crowds of groups of people and coming to a crossroads and asking no one else which way they'd like to go or where they'd like to eat. If you come across something spontaneous that you didn't know about, you can just go enjoy. You don't have to explain "why" to anyone, just do it.

Last edited:

I just priced it and get $1,162.33 for a Standard Room at Disney's Pop Century Resort with a 5-Day (non hopper) ticket.

I think an Uber/Lyft would be more like $30-40 each way ($60-80 round trip), so the airport transfer doesn't need to be $130.

The Pop will also be a bit higher once you include taxes.

But you're right - the price difference isn't huge. Big enough for some nice meals, but not huge. I think the difference will mostly come down to the experience you want.

I haven't stayed there personally, but the reports I've read show the B to be very upscale. If I were going alone or with DH, this would be one of my first picks for a more spa-like atmosphere after a busy day at the parks. The rooms themselves are more on par with a Disney Deluxe than a Value. You're also walking distance to the nightlife at DS.

Pop is a fun and funky budget resort. We're starting our trip there this fall because my 10-year-old begged for a "Disney" resort, and this one is in-your-face Disney. However, once you're there, that's it, no walking to see performances or try different restaurants or bars. Pop seems more geared to families with kids than solo adults. Not that solo adults can't enjoy Pop, too, but a resort like the B offers more in terms of amenities adults tend to like.

Also, consider that if you take an Uber/Lyft back to the airport, you can go at your own convenience rather than having to wait at the hotel 3 (or more) hours before your flight and stopping at a bunch of other resorts. Your time on the last day of your vacation is worth something, too.

For 1 person, there will not be much savings staying offsite vs a value resort. It is when you have multiple people that makes a difference. We are a family of 3, but even then studios are tiny. We get suites with full kitchens and that is where the savings come into play. For instance, we got 7-nights at WBC last Summer for $560. We cooked and had almost all meals at the resort. That is same as our grocery bill at home. We saved $600 by driving instead of flying. We bought APs because we were going to get at least 3 weeks of trips. Turns out, we are getting 5 weeks of trips. Doing the simple math, here is how the 5-weeks for 3 Disney Adults (DD is 11) pans out:

AP: $2,400 ($800 each or $140/week for the 5-weeks)
WBC: $560 for 7-nights (1BR/1BA)
OLR: $760 for 7-nights (2BR/2BA)
OKW: $700 for 7-nights (Studio)
WBC: $600 for 7-nights (1BR/1BA)
Reunion: $550 for 7-nights (3BR/3BA) In less than 3 weeks

Netting it all out, it comes to just over $5,500 for tickets and resort stays. Add another $800 for driving on 4 of those trips and $500 for flying on one. Add in about $400 per week for food totaling $2,000. For Just under $10,000, we will have 5-weeks worth of trips. To put that in perspective, we had friends that stayed at GF for 5 nights that spent $12,000 for 4 people.

I love how much you got out of your APs!

Yeah, not a huge diff in price for 1 person, you're right (when compared to a value), but man, the quality of hotel you get is significantly better. And, still a 10 min walk to Disney Springs, so I still think I'll feel "in it" enough.

With one adult as well, it's not like I feel the "differences" are those I'd really notice:

• Disney transportation: well, seems like the DS busses are just as efficient (give or take on both sides), and I can always take Disney transportation to DS and walk. I don't have kids to "send back to the hotel" etc.. And, my research tells me going back to a DS hotel from a park for an hour or two is just as efficient as Disney transportation (again, give or take on both sides, depending on park etc.). I don't mind having to walk an extra 2 mins :). In fact, I prefer it (I'm a walk to work and back, 3.5 km each way, kinda gal).
  • I don't see any drawbacks re: dining, park time, FP, EMH, etc.
  • Not planning on doing DP this trip (though not ruling it out in the future)
  • DME: this is the only thing that gave me some pause.
  • I mostly just see that I'm getting a nicer hotel, still "in Disney-ish", for a bit cheaper. And, because saving even a few hundred $ in this case means maybe staying an extra day (and still saving money), why not!

I could see (ironically) for longer trips doing a mod (or WL)- as maybe I'd spend a day at the resort, come and go a bit more, do the DP, etc., but I'm also someone who values international travel just as much (well, more ;), but shhh ), so I'd rather spread out my vacay budgets as much as possible! There are just too many amazing places on the planet to explore!

Thanks for all the advice!

My experience on my last onsite stay was 16 total hours of bus waiting (this does not include the ride portion) over 7 days. In comparison of driving myself over the 2 weeks in the Summer, I didn't even hit 10 total hours.

How are you getting to the parks if you stay at the B? Do they have a free shuttle?

How are you getting to the parks if you stay at the B? Do they have a free shuttle?

B Resort is a Disney Springs hotel which they have their own free shuttle service. It is the only shuttle I would use other than Disney. They are regular and a good system. Now that this year the Disney Springs hotels have 60 day FP+ and EMH along with the shuttle they are a clear contender for my money.

Here is the official transportation flyer given to guests staying at the seven Disney Springs Hotels. This covers the following hotels:

• B Resort and Spa: http://www.bhotelsandresorts.com/b-resort-and-spa/
• Best Western Lake Buena Vista: https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/b...y-springs-resort-area/propertyCode.10288.htmlhttps://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/b...y-springs-resort-area/propertyCode.10288.htmliata=00171890&ssob=BLBWI0003G&cid=BLBWI0003G:yext:website:10288
• DoubleTree Suites Lake Buena Vista: http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/ho...rlando-disney-springs-area-MCOFHDT/index.html
• Hilton Buena Vista Palace: http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/fl...palace-disney-springs-area-MCOBUHH/index.html
• Hilton Lake Buena Vista: http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/fl...-vista-disney-springs-area-ORLDWHH/index.html
• Holiday Inn Disney Springs: https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/lake-buena-vista/dislb/hoteldetail
• Wyndham Lake Buena Vista: https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndh...a-resort-downtown-disney-resort-area/overview

Link to the Disney Springs Hotels marketing website: http://disneyspringshotels.com/

dspringshotels-shuttles-may2016-front-600x900-small.jpg

dspringshotels-shuttles-may2016-back-600x900-small.jpg

Shuttles leave every 30 minutes all day long at designated times. The shuttles are run by Mears Transportation, which has been a Disney partner for decades. (They run Disney's Magical Express service.) Each shuttle runs to two different parks. It's usually one to Epcot, then Disney's Hollywood Studios and the other to the Transportation and Ticket Center (transfer to monorail/ferry for Magic Kingdom), then Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Although each bus stops at multiple hotels, these stops usually only take 2-3 minutes each. The exception would be if there are wheelchairs or ECVs to load/unload. All of these hotels are literally next to each other. In some cases, it only takes 1 minute to go from one hotel to the next.

disneysprings-hotels-labels.jpg

Link to Bing Maps: https://binged.it/2yfpHqf

Note: With the Disney Springs Hotels being added to the Extra Magic Hours program, the shuttle buses will certainly expand beyond the "regular park hours" that are listed on these flyers.

If anyone has questions, please ask.

i don't want to come off as rude, but why would you second guess staying at a disney resort that is nearly the same price as staying at an off-site when you are traveling solo?

i would just stay at the disney resort.
i really don't think the $95 savings is worth it lmao
the convenience of staying at a disney resort is well worth it.

i hope you have a great trip wherever you stay!:earboy2:

Hi All!

Planning my first ever (solo!) trip, and while I know the argument re: on-site v. off and all the reasons for/against depend on my own prefs etc., I am currently doing the blunt math re: staying at a DS resort v. a value on-site, and I just want to make sure I'm not leaving anything out in my calculations (hidden costs etc. a newbie may be unaware of).

Keep in mind that the B Resort is going to be arguably much nicer than Disney's Pop Century Resort.

i don't want to come off as rude, but why would you second guess staying at a disney resort that is nearly the same price as staying at an off-site when you are traveling solo?

i would just stay at the disney resort.
i really don't think the $95 savings is worth it lmao
the convenience of staying at a disney resort is well worth it.

i hope you have a great trip wherever you stay!:earboy2:

I'll try to answer since I have over @130 stays on property and @35 of those at POP Century AND I have stayed at B Resort in most their room options about 5 times.

OP says they understand the on/off reasoning. I get onsite only folks don't get the offsite benefits and visa-versa but there are huge perks both ways that can't be replicated by the other. OP says they have their own preferences and maybe they fall in to some I can think of ...

Including what @writerguyfl says .... B Resort is much nicer than POP Century .... especially for an adult or solo adult.

B Resort ...
... rooms are much larger with ample space to move around, some with sofas and balconies or views
... rooms are decorated modern, boutique and less sterile than the new POP rooms
... some rooms facing pool have balconies to enjoy or nicely furnished private patios that have pool access
... rooms are interior hallway entry, potentially much safer for a solo traveler
... bathrooms are large and modern and well done
... pool is usually quiet with very nice pool bar right there, nice loungers with pool towels right there
... pool deck area has outdoor lounges and nice furniture if you just want to relax
... grab and go is one of best I have seen and right by pool
... Table Service dining that has only had good reviews I have seen
... Nice indoor bar
... Good bus shuttle to parks
... Walking distance to Disney Springs, which as adults is a nice perk for dining and evenings
... This year, 60 day FP+ and EMH

If comparing one to the other the only plus POP brings is Magical Express. But then again, many folks don't like that system and still pay for taxi/etc to get them to hotel especially returning to airport.

The reason one would pick offsite for the same price is because they will almost always get much more for that same price. Right now I have 4 nights booked at POP in the fall with a discount. For the same exact price I can book B Resort in a two room executive suite in the tower. We are talking apples and oranges here. I'm tempted to book this but ...

For about $100 less I can book a FULL WEEK in a 1 bedroom condo with kitchen, porch, much nicer pools and amenities. Since I have a car and AP ... I can drive to parks faster than I can ride a bus, I park for free .... so for a week = $920* for POP OR $420 for a nice condo resort almost no brainer. But seriously, how is POP worth a thousand dollars for a week? and that is with a good discount!

* POP rate is probably more since I just took my weekday rate x 7 and we would have to add two weekend rates to that probably hitting $1000.

Last edited:
I'll try to answer since I have over @130 stays on property and @35 of those at POP Century AND I have stayed at B Resort in most their room options about 5 times.

OP says they understand the on/off reasoning. I get onsite only folks don't get the offsite benefits and visa-versa but there are huge perks both ways that can't be replicated by the other. OP says they have their own preferences and maybe they fall in to some I can think of ...

Including what @writerguyfl says .... B Resort is much nicer than POP Century .... especially for an adult or solo adult.

B Resort ...
... rooms are much larger with ample space to move around, some with sofas and balconies or views
... rooms are decorated modern, boutique and less sterile than the new POP rooms
... some rooms facing pool have balconies to enjoy or nicely furnished private patios that have pool access
... rooms are interior hallway entry, potentially much safer for a solo traveler
... pool is usually quiet with very nice pool bar right there, nice loungers with pool towels right there
... pool deck area has outdoor lounges and nice furniture if you just want to relax
... Nice indoor bar
... Walking distance to Disney Springs, which as adults is a nice perk for dining and evenings

If comparing one to the other the only plus POP brings is Magical Express. But then again, many folks don't like that system and still pay for taxi/etc to get them to hotel especially returning to airport.

The reason one would pick offsite for the same price is because they will almost always get much more for that same price. Right now I have 4 nights booked at POP in the fall with a discount. For the same exact price I can book B Resort in a two room executive suite in the tower. We are talking apples and oranges here. I'm tempted to book this but ...

For about $100 less I can book a FULL WEEK in a 1 bedroom condo with kitchen, porch, much nicer pools and amenities. Since I have a car and AP ... I can drive to parks faster than I can ride a bus, I park for free .... so for a week = $920 for POP OR $420 for a nice condo resort almost no brainer. But seriously, how is POP worth almost a thousand dollars for a week? and that is with a good discount!

yup :) all of the above.

This was not intended to start an "onsite/offsite" debate- there are plenty of those and, frankly, the answer to those debates in each case really lies in personal preferences and values- nothing else, really. And, only I can decide which side of the list mine fall.

Yup, POP is "only" $95 more, but (no offence to POP), B (and the other DS hotels for the most part) are MUCH nicer hotels. As HopperFan pointed out, with 60 day FP, just as efficient a shuttle service (if not better in some cases- but pluses and minuses in both columns, depending on the day/park/crap shoot luck), walking distance to DS, EMH etc. now at DS hotels, there really is no extra "quantitative" benefit to onsite, other than ME (again, as we both pointed out).

So, I'd pay more money at POP to get a (in my own personal opinion only) significantly inferior hotel, and really no added perks (against my own value propositions). That seems goofy to me (no pun intended :) ), but that's because I don't value whatever POP will give me that B may not above what B ill give me that POP will not.

B is the quality of a mod (or even deluxe), because of how crazily WDW prices their on-sites- so those are the apples to apples hotels...there you'd have a different debate (but a much larger price gap).

Again, each to his/her own, that wasn't the intention of this thread. It was to simply make sure I wasn't leaving anything out of my calculations.

B Resort ...
... Nice indoor bar

Great summary. I'd add:

... distance from your room to amenities is measured in steps, not tenths of a mile
... any problems are resolved by people at the hotel, not an off-site call center
... Do Not Disturb signs still exist and are (presumably) honored

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!