Driving to WDW from the GTA: our tried and tested itinerary

Bowen Family

Mouseketeer
Greetings all and happy new year!

I know this is a topic discussed at length in the past, but with the number of posters I've seen discussing the increasing costs and hassles of flying to WDW, I thought I would make a pitch for our preferred method: The Great Florida Family Road Trip!

We've perfected the itinerary below over multiple road trips to Florida (the most recent being over Christmas 2017), and it works perfectly for our family of four:

Day 1 heading south: Leave Toronto at 5am SHARP. Pre-book a comfortable hotel Charlotte, NC for that first night. Yes, that's a 1,200km drive from Toronto, but the excitement of the trip will carry you through the day! To pass the time, we put on Disney music and movies for the kids, and just enjoy the scenery and time together as a family. We always manage to arrive in Charlotte by dinner, then have our 'hotel party' and hit the pool, order a pizza, and unwind for the evening.

Day 2 heading south: Try to be on the road at 7:30am sharp to arrive at WDW by late afternoon. Be sure to stop at the I-95 Florida Welcome Centre, where the kids (and you) will love sampling Florida OJ and picking up brochures for all the parks you'll be visiting.

Day 1 heading home: There's no sugar-coating this. The post-vacation ride home just isn't as much fun, especially if it's winter and you're heading back into snow. But basically you do the same thing in reverse, just staying in Beckley, WV overnight on Day 1. I find this is far as you can reasonably get before it gets dark in the winter months. Just like the trip down, try to book a comfortable hotel with pool in advance.

Day 2 heading home: Back on the road at 7:30am and arrive home around dinner.

General tips:

It goes without saying that this 90/79/77 route in the winter requires scrupulous weather monitoring. Use your snow tires in the winter (we've had snow as far south as the Virginia/NC border), and definitely try to avoid driving after dark. It's amazing how much more fatigued you'll feel after a day of driving once the sun goes down.

Don't let the gas tank drop below a 1/4 full. This route has a few long stretches between gas stations, so play it smart and make frequent and quick stops for gas just off the highway.

Don't stay in the cheapest hotel you can find. We've done this and it's not worth the minimal savings. Splurge a bit so you can look forward to a comfortable and fun stay after a long day of driving. This entire round trip with gas and two nice hotels costs us about $750 CAN (equivalent to average round-trip airfare for one person), so spend the extra and enjoy yourself.

Make the trip an adventure! Give the kids their own road map to chart your progress. We make license plate and state welcome sign scavenger hunts for the kids, which they actually love! We also compete to see who can spot the first palm tree on the way down (and patch of snow on the way back). Traditions and activities like these will make the road trip part of the memory of the vacation, rather than just a 2,000km slog.

Be safe and have fun! Hope to see you on the road!

Love the post!

We’ve only ever flown, as air prices are crazy for the 5 of us.

We do it slightly different, in a straight shot to Florida via I-75. We leave around 10am (flexible start time) and stop for a coffee and a last minute bathroom break before hitting the 401.
I usually drive until we get 30 minutes past Atlanta. Driving through Atlanta at night is beautiful and you miss any rush hour traffic there.

We make it to the Kentucky / Tennessee border by sundown which makes for a beautiful stop (mountain view road just inside Tennessee) and an amazing view of the smoky mountains.

Stop for dinner somewhere in Tennessee and get the kids changed and ready for a sleep, brush teeth etc.

My DW sleeps periodically through the day, and for about 4-5 hours after dinner, and takes over for the last 6-7 hour stretch. And we arrive in Disney world around 7am, at which time we go to the resort to “check in” and then go for breakfast while we wait for our room to be ready. Each time we’ve gone we have had our room ready by 10am (early check in is one of our requests).

I can not argue in the least that the drive home is not as fun. I can barely drive 3 hours at a time without being exhausted.

Thanks for this!

We've only done the one extended road trip (GTA to Portland ME & Boston) and the kids were younger so I didn't extend any driving past 8 hours (excluding food stops or side excursions). We thought they'd sleep a lot during the drives. We were wrong - they watched a LOT of Dora, which in hindsight, I do not recommend anyone present as an option for a road trip.

We've been wanting to drive to Disney or a SC beach town so my wife and I periodically look at how to do the drive. Or rather, how I would do the drive since she doesn't. Knowing my kids, we'd likely end up doing the 2-night 401-I75 route (Probably have to avoid the Skyline Chili though).

Good point on the hotels. You're cramped in a car most of the day so having a comfortable bed is paramount, especially if you're the sole driver :).

Aside: we almost did a GTA-to-Fort Lauderdale drive in 2014 when my younger daughter broke her upper arm 4 days before our cruise, and 2 days before we were supposed to fly out for said cruise. She ended up with an open cast (this is apparently standard for a full displacement) so was able to fly, but we were scrambling for a bit.

Love the post!

We’ve only ever flown, as air prices are crazy for the 5 of us.

We do it slightly different, in a straight shot to Florida via I-75. We leave around 10am (flexible start time) and stop for a coffee and a last minute bathroom break before hitting the 401.
I usually drive until we get 30 minutes past Atlanta. Driving through Atlanta at night is beautiful and you miss any rush hour traffic there.

We make it to the Kentucky / Tennessee border by sundown which makes for a beautiful stop (mountain view road just inside Tennessee) and an amazing view of the smoky mountains.

Stop for dinner somewhere in Tennessee and get the kids changed and ready for a sleep, brush teeth etc.

My DW sleeps periodically through the day, and for about 4-5 hours after dinner, and takes over for the last 6-7 hour stretch. And we arrive in Disney world around 7am, at which time we go to the resort to “check in” and then go for breakfast while we wait for our room to be ready. Each time we’ve gone we have had our room ready by 10am (early check in is one of our requests).

I can not argue in the least that the drive home is not as fun. I can barely drive 3 hours at a time without being exhausted.

Thanks, glad you liked the post! Wow, non-stop?!? And we thought we were hardcore! I grew up in London, ON, so the 75 route is the one my parents would take south when I was a kid. That's definitely a better option for going straight through the night, given the frequency of rest stops. Cheers!

Thanks for this!

We've only done the one extended road trip (GTA to Portland ME & Boston) and the kids were younger so I didn't extend any driving past 8 hours (excluding food stops or side excursions). We thought they'd sleep a lot during the drives. We were wrong - they watched a LOT of Dora, which in hindsight, I do not recommend anyone present as an option for a road trip.

We've been wanting to drive to Disney or a SC beach town so my wife and I periodically look at how to do the drive. Or rather, how I would do the drive since she doesn't. Knowing my kids, we'd likely end up doing the 2-night 401-I75 route (Probably have to avoid the Skyline Chili though).

Good point on the hotels. You're cramped in a car most of the day so having a comfortable bed is paramount, especially if you're the sole driver :).

Aside: we almost did a GTA-to-Fort Lauderdale drive in 2014 when my younger daughter broke her upper arm 4 days before our cruise, and 2 days before we were supposed to fly out for said cruise. She ended up with an open cast (this is apparently standard for a full displacement) so was able to fly, but we were scrambling for a bit.

Yes, both Dora and Thomas are prohibited from our road trip playlist! 2 nights via the 75 also sounds like a great trip. Lots of options for stopping along the way, and I like the simplicity of (mostly) a single highway all the way down.

One other tip I neglected to mention for hotels: leave the bulky luggage in the car and pack a separate 'carry in' bag containing only what you'll need for the night (i.e. pyjamas, swimsuits, change of clothes, toiletries). When you arrive at the hotel and everyone's tired and hungry, you just grab that one bag and head straight in. This is also a big time saver the next morning when trying to get packed up, checked out and back on the road. Cheers!

Make the trip an adventure! Give the kids their own road map to chart your progress. We make license plate and state welcome sign scavenger hunts for the kids, which they actually love! We also compete to see who can spot the first palm tree on the way down (and patch of snow on the way back). Traditions and activities like these will make the road trip part of the memory of the vacation, rather than just a 2,000km slog.
And don't forget the "pee in every state" game (at the welcome centres of course!) :D

From Eastern Ontario we have several route options to skirt any weather. Our itinerary is a bit tighter. DW is a teacher and the trip is always on March break. Step one is to have the car sitting at the door of the school at 3:10 Friday afternoon, passenger door open, engine revving wildly. Perform a smokey burnout as DW dives into the car and tries desperately to close the door, children diving left and and right. (Okay not really, but that is how it plays out in my mind). We usually drive to Southern PA or into MD before stopping first night. Back on the road at the crack of OMG and drive straight through, arriving Orlando around midnight Saturday. With two drivers swapping 4 hour shifts, it's not really too bad, although I do all the after dark driving. Now I just have to convince my YA kids (19 and 21) to get their licenses so they can contribute shifts when they come along - with four drivers it would only be 6 hours total driving for each driver.

Note: the trip home is a bit more relaxed pace.

Thanks, glad you liked the post! Wow, non-stop?!? And we thought we were hardcore! I grew up in London, ON, so the 75 route is the one my parents would take south when I was a kid. That's definitely a better option for going straight through the night, given the frequency of rest stops. Cheers!

We live in Kitchener, so we can choose either route without sacrificing much time at all really.

Yes really good for the straight road. The first time we did it I got confused around Nashville when it splits off for a bit, but we figured it out lol.

We live in Hamilton and we only drive. We flew once when the kids were little, but we've driven everytime with up to 4 kids in the car. Our preferred method is to go across in Sarnia and head down I-75. We've always done straight through overnight on the way down and 2 days back. Going through Sarnia only adds about an hour to the total trip time, but I think our route will be down I-77/I-79 now.
Typically we leave between 2 and 5 on a Friday, depending on when I can get off work, and arrive in WDW early afternoon. DW and I will switch drivers often. We tend to stop every 2.5 to 3 hours to refill the tank, never letting it get much below half, especially in the winter. We usually arrive late enough that a room is ready for us and we take a quick nap or relax and get a bite to eat and early bed the first night in WDW.
My wife now has knee issues and the straight through driving is not going to work for us any more. We found a nice Hampton Inn in Charlotte / Lake Norman NC, with a great BBQ restaurant not far away and that will be our normal stop from now on. We have stopped in Beckley, WV before.
I agree with the OP about splurging a bit on a hotel if needed. The cheap ones along the highways often need some major upkeep and sometimes they are hard to find in the hills of the Carolinas and Virginias.

Oh WOW-such great tips!

I LOVE the "pee in every state game", that is hilarious!!!

In all seriousness, not letting the tank get below 1/4 is a really good idea, I like that one!

The fact that you have your own vehicle while there has always seemed like a bonus to me but we have yet to do this road trip with the kids (18 & 20, so no fear of Dora or Thomas!!!)

Last summer we drove to NYC and they hated the drive. I didnt mind it but hubby said he was really glad we did it so he knows now that he will never drive to WDW!

I might convince them all one day so I will keep all your tips in my backpocket!

Just going to add to that route.... we rent a van to do the trip. Why put the miles on my vehicle when the rental will be less than a tune up or the side-of-the-road fix of a breakdown, which happened to us about 10 years ago.

This year's 13 day trip will cost around $630 for a van rental out of YYZ (yes, I'm going to tell DH he has to drive 'all the way' to the airport just to rent a car because it's half the price of our local rental place in the GTA). Oh yes, that's unlimited mileage and because I booked with Costco, it's also a second driver free and 2% back to my Executive membership bonus next year.

Tip: If you are renting from your local place, make sure it's unlimited mileage or you'll add another $400 to your price. If your local place isn't check the next town over. For example, Burlington and Hamilton Enterprise locations have a mileage limit, but Oakville and Mississauga locations rent with unlimited mileage.

I forgot to mention, opening day pricing for airfare last year (A/C and WestJet) were going to cost around $4000+. So driving is a no brainer at that savings.

Last edited:
We also drive (from Woodstock ON) and leave when DH gets home from work on the Friday. So leaving around 5pm and stop in Troy OH for the night, then all the way to Valdosta GA on the Saturday night and we are at WDW by noon on Sunday. Gives us time to get groceries and Einstein Brothers bagels (our FL tradition) before checking in. We have a no-park day on the first day.
On the drive back, we try to get to Kentucky the first day and then home by supper time on Sunday. 58 more days!!

Just going to add to that route.... we rent a van to do the trip. Why put the miles on my vehicle when the rental will be less than a tune up or the side-of-the-road fix of a breakdown, which happened to us about 10 years ago.

This year's 13 day trip will cost around $630 for a van rental out of YYZ (yes, I'm going to tell DH he has to drive 'all the way' to the airport just to rent a car because it's half the price of our local rental place in the GTA). Oh yes, that's unlimited mileage and because I booked with Costco, it's also a second driver free and 2% back to my Executive membership bonus next year.

Tip: If you are renting from your local place, make sure it's unlimited mileage or you'll add another $400 to your price. If your local place isn't check the next town over. For example, Burlington and Hamilton Enterprise locations have a mileage limit, but Oakville and Mississauga locations rent with unlimited mileage.

I forgot to mention, opening day pricing for airfare last year (A/C and WestJet) were going to cost around $4000+. So driving is a no brainer at that savings.
Also make sure you can cross border with the vehicle.

Also make sure you can cross border with the vehicle.
Good point. We always make sure the rental company knows we're crossing the border. With Alamo and Enterprise, it's fine. I assume so with others, but it's always good to verify.

Hadn't considered this approach, but $630 is a very reasonable price. Any idea if they install snow tires on rentals in winter months?

Hadn't considered this approach, but $630 is a very reasonable price. Any idea if they install snow tires on rentals in winter months?
I can't say for sure, but DH had a rental this week due to a car repair, so when he returned it tonight he asked about snow tires. At the Enterprise we were at, they told us that all their vehicles have all season tires, so that's a 'no' to winter tires. Maybe certain vehicles are different or maybe different companies have different policies. It's worth asking the question from wherever you're renting, if it's important to you. Also, the answer may be different depending on how much snow your area normally gets. For instance, you might get a different answer about snow tires in Quebec City or Edmonton than you would in Toronto or Vancouver.

Last edited:
If we lived in Southern Ontario I'd have no problem doing that drive once a year. It's about 29 hrs from where we are, but I still would like to try it one day.

If we lived in Southern Ontario I'd have no problem doing that drive once a year. It's about 29 hrs from where we are, but I still would like to try it one day.
When I was a kid, we used to drive from Regina to Miami every year, as my grandparents lived there. It was definitely an adventure, especially before we had air conditioning! It was 4 days each way for those trips, so you have to have the time off to be able to do it.

We drive from Ottawa. We've left at 3pm right after work and made it down to Harrisburg Penn on I81. Its always worrisome about the Syracuse corridor with the possibility of lake effect snow and I think its always snowy or foggy through Scranton area. We always feel pleased to put Binghampton behind us - we feel the worst chance of bad weather is now done.

Day 2 I stay on I81 down past Winchester, onto I66, then the 17 which is my fav route around DC, then joining I95 at Fredericksburg. Avoiding DC is the worry for us in Ottawa and Montreal
Then down taking the bypass around Richmond and just giv'er all the way until you see that first palm tree on the middle shoulder in South Carolina. We always love crossing the St Mary's River since we know we are in Florida, then stop and get our juice at the visitor centre.

One year my wife was finishing a degree and they unexpectedly moved her final exam which put us in danger of missing our Disney Cruise. She ended up flying with our little one while I drove myself. I never like to book hotels ahead of time so that I can stop when I want. Well I had no idea there was a big NASCAR even in Scranton so no rooms available in S NY State or N Penn (I left after work). I ended up sleeping my car - first time since I was much younger doing the drive back home to Nova Scotia. My wife an 5 year old meanwhile got bumped to Business Class by Air Canada and were the only ones in the business class. We are always Even Steven! I picked them up in Jacksonville the next day. I had my satellite radio tuned to Margaritaville the whole way and ate a whole bunch of burgers we can't get in Canada. Loved the solo road trip
We all drove back together.

There is a thread for over 2000 miles drivers in the Transportation forum which has been going for 13 years....I've often through we should get a standing thread in the Canadian Section on driving since so many little threads come up. Maybe a Canada-Florida By Car thread?

I can't say for sure, but DH had a rental this week due to a car repair, so when he returned it tonight he asked about snow tires. At the Enterprise we were at, they told us that all their vehicles have all season tires, so that's a 'no' to winter tires. Maybe certain vehicles are different or maybe different companies have different policies. It's worth asking the question from wherever you're renting, if it's important to you. Also, the answer may be different depending on how much snow your area normally gets. For instance, you might get a different answer about snow tires in Quebec City or Edmonton than you would in Toronto or Vancouver.
Quebec plated cars will always have snow tires (mandatory in QC), they are generally available in the Ottawa area (our agency allows workers to refuse to take cars that do not have snow tires).
Read the rental terms carefully about longer trips. Many of the agencies do restrict US travel (including the aforementioned Enterprise if you actually read the contract available online), although the agents may not know that. Only becomes an issue if you have a problem with the vehicle and they discover you are out of the allowed zone.

@TFC_UNTIL_I_DIE consider staying on I-81 to I-77 and down through Fancy Gap, Charlotte NC, Columbia SC. This is nominally a slightly longer route in distance, but is so much more relaxing and lower traffic that it is almost always quicker or the same. I will always take this route unless snow pushes me over to I-95 sooner. I-95 is number one or two in traffic volume in the US, and is no fun to drive IMO. Every time we do drive 95, we see carnage along the way.

ETA:

From Enterprise Website:
Enterprise Canadian locations allow travel within the renting province. Kilometers will usually be unlimited within the province of rental. When booking online, you may view any restrictions once a location and vehicle size have been selected.

If you plan on renting and driving from the United States to Canada or Canada to the United States, please make sure you review our US and Canada Border Crossing Policy.

That's in lay terms, the actual contract is more specific, but basically km are unlimited in province of rental on most classes, but they can charge by km outside of the rental province (that would be really sucky for PEI renters I would think).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter