Driving from MA-EZPass,NC,SC,FL

KProuty

Mouseketeer
We are driving down from MA. We are fine using the just plain EZPass to NC, but then it gets tricky. Maybe.

If I order the $4.99 Sunpass (Florida) sticker for our car, that is great for FL and Georgia. South Carolina isn't part of Sunnpass or EZPass. I don't even know if we would go on a toll road in SC.

North Carolina is part of EZPass and Sunpass, I think. So.. if we permanently affix the Sunpass sticker on our car, then we should put our EZPass in aluminum foil when we get to NC so it won't pick up both signals, right?

Has anyone made this trip and how has your toll journey been?

Thanks for any insights.

I drive down twice a year from VT. 87 in upstate Ny, through Newark, down to through NJ, MD, DC, VA, NC, SC, GA, Fl. I have both EZ-Pass and Sunpass. Once I go through the tunnel in Baltimore there are no other tolls if you stay on I-95. Staying on 95 down to I-4 in Dayton over to Disney there are no tolls. You would only need the Sunpass if you plan on going over toward Atlanta, or driving from Disney over to Cocoa Beach. I have both of mine attached to the windshield and you wont be charged a toll that requires the other transponder.

So to recap, no tolls once you get through the Baltimore tunnel all the way to Disney on 95 and 4.

THANK YOU! You rock! I don't think we will stay on 95 the whole way, but we'll be on it most of the way. (We do NOT want to go through NYC. And we may go further west than Baltimore, we'll clip through PA.) Worried about traffic. We are coming from MA.

When you get around Orange City/Deltona, you may want to have your navigator check Google Maps for the best route to your destination. Sometimes the longer, toll route on SR-417 is faster than I-4 due to traffic. You could bring a $10 roll of quarters just in case, or wait in line at the toll booths (which might negate the time savings.)

Thanks, I think we are going to get the $4.99 sticker so we can take a toll road without having to worry.

.... So.. if we permanently affix the Sunpass sticker on our car, then we should put our EZPass in aluminum foil when we get to NC so it won't pick up both signals, right?

No need as the EZ Pass and Sunpass systems are not compatible. That's the reason you need two transponders.

THANK YOU! You rock! I don't think we will stay on 95 the whole way, but we'll be on it most of the way. (We do NOT want to go through NYC. And we may go further west than Baltimore, we'll clip through PA.) Worried about traffic. We are coming from MA.

If you are thinking of taking the I-81, I-77, I-26, I-95, to I-4 route there will not be any tolls on those roads south of PA. If you come across I-78 the last toll would be as you enter PA.

Great. I was actually worried about NC since they take EZPass and Sunpass. Certain toll roads in FL will start taking EZPass in April, I think, So if I go back, I'll wrap my EZPass in tinfoil when I get to FL.

Great. I was actually worried about NC since they take EZPass and Sunpass. Certain toll roads in FL will start taking EZPass in April, I think, So if I go back, I'll wrap my EZPass in tinfoil when I get to FL.
Yes, I don't know the start date, but toll booths operated by Central Florida Expressway Authority (CFX) are slated to start accepting EZPass at some point. This has the potential to create a lot of confusion, as on many roads, some of the toll booths are run by CFX, while others on the same road are run by the FL Turnpike! That includes the 417, 429, and 528, all roads heavily used by tourists.

Once the change occurs, you can identify CFX toll booths by primary E-Pass signage. Turnpike toll booths are identified by SunPass primary signage. Many signs also have the logo for the other underneath, but the larger logo at the top of the sign should identify which agency runs the toll booth. So far, only toll booths that are primarily E-Pass will accept EZPass.

using the just plain EZPass to NC, but then it gets tricky. Maybe.

If I order the $4.99 Sunpass (Florida) sticker for our car, that is great for FL and Georgia. South Carolina isn't part of Sunnpass or EZPass. I don't even know if we would go on a toll road in SC.

North Carolina is part of EZPass and Sunpass, I think. So.. if we permanently affix the Sunpass sticker on our car, then we should put our EZPass in aluminum foil when we get to NC so it won't pick up both signals, right?

Has anyone made this trip and how has your toll journey been?

We drove to WDW from CT last month 95 all the way, including the George Washington Bridge. I don't think there were any tolls south of Maryland.

As far as I could tell currently the only toll roads in NC is what called the Triangle Expressway in the Raleigh area. So it you go either the I-95 or the I-81 way you would not be near the Triangle Expressway.

So far as I know, the only tolls south of Baltimore still on I-95 are the optional HOV lanes on the I-495/95 beltway around DC.

All the other tolls south of that were pulled out years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter