Drinks

Would be interesting to know if it is worth it or not

Yeah it all depends on how much you drink. I never get them because I am more of a one drink guy. A beer at the pool or a beer or glass of wine with dinner. When in a non-US port I may go in and get a couple cheap beers too. So for me, one or 2 drinks a day a la carte is FAR cheaper then the drink packages. But I have a couple of friends that make use of the packages and more than get their moneys worth, (at least at cruise ship prices)

Thanks ,not a big drinker,but back to my original question,do you get an itemized bill at the end of the cruise?

Might be something to ask on cruisecritic I think, or on royalcaribbeanblog (Matt, the blog owner, regularly gets the drink package). A very interesting question though - I'd be curious to know what the answer is myself.

We did not get an itemized bill. I'm not sure whether one could be requested. My guess is no and I'm guessing that because your drinks are still processed at the point of sale register wherever you order it, and it's run through as if you bought a drink. You then usually have to sign what looks like a credit card slip but it's for $0. So it's not as if you are charging it back to your room so to speak, the transaction is completed when you walk away from the bar. You also have the option to add a tip when signing the slip, which we did in a few cases, and on our final bill only the amount we charged was viewable. Also, your card has a drink package logo on it which is how they know to run it through the register for $0.

All of that said, it's certainly worth asking if it's possible. But it's not readily available.

We did not get an itemized bill. I'm not sure whether one could be requested. My guess is no and I'm guessing that because your drinks are still processed at the point of sale register wherever you order it, and it's run through as if you bought a drink. You then usually have to sign what looks like a credit card slip but it's for $0. So it's not as if you are charging it back to your room so to speak, the transaction is completed when you walk away from the bar. You also have the option to add a tip when signing the slip, which we did in a few cases, and on our final bill only the amount we charged was viewable. Also, your card has a drink package logo on it which is how they know to run it through the register for $0.

All of that said, it's certainly worth asking if it's possible. But it's not readily available.
Thanks ,will enjoy either way,will not be having loads to drink just because we have the drinks package,but might try several of the cocktails haha!

We did not.
At most bars they didn't even have us sign anything.
That was surprising.
We kept mental tally and we for sure came out ahead.
Especially when you add all the bottled water.
At dinner, our servers gave us each 2 bottles to keep our fridge full.
Plus we got more during the day in addition to all else.

I've heard of people keeping a spreadsheet and/or running tally of the price of each drink they had. WAY too much math for me to deal with on vacation. If I get a package (up in the air pending this "everyone has to get one" because i'm not making my friend buy one - if that goes fleet-wide I'll just buy OBC), I am not going to worry about getting my money's worth but instead enjoy knowing that I'm NOT going to have a horrible surprise at the end of the cruise!

I've heard of people keeping a spreadsheet and/or running tally of the price of each drink they had. WAY too much math for me to deal with on vacation. If I get a package (up in the air pending this "everyone has to get one" because i'm not making my friend buy one - if that goes fleet-wide I'll just buy OBC), I am not going to worry about getting my money's worth but instead enjoy knowing that I'm NOT going to have a horrible surprise at the end of the cruise!
You are right ,no way could I be bothered to even think about doing a spread sheet ,wouldn't know where to start ,haha

I think realistically all you need is drink and price. Might be easier to do it on a notepad.

Just got back in June. I wasn't going to buy the package for a 4 night cruise (I've never cruised). The first Pina Colada was $12.50 (tax and gratuity) so I went up to my wife and said i'm getting the drink package. They did credit me the first round but I should have pre-purchased to get the 20%? discount. Six frozen drinks a day and it pays for itself, plus water bottles and a soda cup. I easily drank 10-12 drinks a day, I'm not normally a big drinker but when in Rome. My wife wasn't really drinking with the heat so it would not have been worth it for her. I would do it again in a heartbeat...

Just got back in June. I wasn't going to buy the package for a 4 night cruise (I've never cruised). The first Pina Colada was $12.50 (tax and gratuity) so I went up to my wife and said i'm getting the drink package. They did credit me the first round but I should have pre-purchased to get the 20%? discount. Six frozen drinks a day and it pays for itself, plus water bottles and a soda cup. I easily drank 10-12 drinks a day, I'm not normally a big drinker but when in Rome. My wife wasn't really drinking with the heat so it would not have been worth it for her. I would do it again in a heartbeat...

So true. Even on port days, I would have a specialty coffee in the morning, a bottle of water to take off the ship with me, a drink or two when I got back on the ship to unwind after being in port, a glass of wine or two at dinner, a drink or two after dinner, and a bottle of water for our cabin before heading to bed. It definitely was beneficial for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!