Dream weekend with the hubby, help please

FigaroandFifi

Mouseketeer
OK so I need a little help. I have FINALLY gotten my hubby to go to Disney for a long weekend just the 2 of us NO kids! I have wanted this for a long time for us so needless to say, I want to begin planning so I can save enough money. Soooo, here is where I need help. We have always stayed in Pop when we go with Kidd’s. Should I just look at staying there or should I splurge and go moderate? I am a little concerned about staying in the moderates as I think there are bus stops within the resorts and Port Orleans shares buses between the 2 resorts. I liked Pop Cause we just go to the front and boom, there are the bus stops. I would like to stay in Port Orleans or really love to stay in the Contemporary but I am not sure I would save that much, lol. What do you think, go for Port Orleans or just stay with what we know and have liked? I know we probably won’t be in the room much other than sleeping and showering but I thought maybe it may be nice to stay in a little more expensive place. If I asked the hubby, he would say he doesn’t care just book Pop cause that is where we always stay. Truly, I do not think he will care if we stay somewhere else, so what do you think?

We also love Pop, but 2years ago I did an adult only trip and we stayed at Port Orleans (June).we only shared buses maybe 1x during our trip. I would stay at one of the Port Orleans resorts

Depends on your pace.. Only go to the mod if you have time to enjoy it. If you are in the go go go club then stick with the cheapest value as you are only sleeping there.

On the few times wife and I went solo, we paid up to stay delux at Boardwalk. That is because we really LOVE the world showcase and being able to walk there was huge. Plus we would go back in the after noon for umm naps and hit the pool.

Plus at night, after closing the boardwalk is a ton of fun to enjoy with the entertainment and such.

So reallyl up to you!

I would not stay at Pop if I was taking a much dreamed about trip with just my DH and I always stayed at Pop when I went with the kids.
Nope, no way. That would simply be a trip that left me thinking of the kids and trips with them and not about creating new memories with just DH.
A dream trip with DH must be at a new resort.
I don't understand your issues with buses at the Moderates. They are so much better than any times we've taken buses from the Values, were it felt like I was in a cattle drive with the gates.
POFQ and POR rarely share any more. It's where we stay most trips. AK is about the only time they consistently share. Still like the buses there so much better than when we stayed at Pop.
And if you can save for a Deluxe it will be even better. Boardwalk is my ultimate favorite resort for our grown up trips. There simply isn't a better resort for us. Nice thing, as you go up in booking category the discounts go up. Sometimes you'll find the prices are closer than you think. DH's favorite, WL, is usually the lowest priced Deluxe, and one of the higher discounted. Rooms are smaller is why. So consider it, before you make your final choice.
But do, if at all possible, make this trip a different resort. It will make it more special for the 2 of you.

I was going to suggest the Boardwalk resorts as well! Not as expensive as the monorail resorts, and I love them. Very laid back, romantic, with lots of grown up dining options.

I would go with POFQ or WL. We enjoyed CSR on a couples trip but with the construction I don't know if I would choose it. We love WL.M y splurge would be a Cottage at BW

Thanks! I was looking online when the hubby came in and asked what I was doing, lol. So I told him I had already started looking for a room and asked him if he had any input. Needless to say, I got what I was pretty much expecting. He said he didn’t care if we stayed value or mod. So I mentioned Pop and he said yeah book Pop then we have more money to spend on other stuff, lol. But then he said he didn’t care where we stayed, so yeah pretty much what I was expecting, lol. He did say this would absolutely be the last trip for a long time (did I mention I am heading down shortly with my sister and friends?)

I did price out a trip for Pop but I think I will price one out for French Quarter as well. The good news is, I will not need tickets for our trip just the room and meal plan, we have “leftover” tickets we can use. Not sure if we have 3 or 4 Days left on each but I was thinking 3 full days in the park would be nice for us.

Does anyone know what they typically offer in September for discounts? I know many kids are in school so I am guessing the weekend will still be a bit busy. DH thought maybe October would be good but I am trying to plan this at a time that my sister can take our kids to our camping trailer if that is what she wants to do.

The promo in Sept/Oct is usually pretty close to the same one they have going for Spring so you should be able to get a general idea of the cost by pricing a room of the similar length of stay for a date during the current promo period. Just match the days of the week, ie, if your stay will be a Thursday thru Sunday, price a Thursday thru Sunday

Why not rent dvc points ?

I looked at sept 7-10

port orleans Friday, Saturday, Sunday in sept 237x3=711 not including tax

Poly - GF - $684 (even paying top price but no tax)

SSR/ak would be cheaper if you wanted to get it under $500

Thanks! I was looking online when the hubby came in and asked what I was doing, lol. So I told him I had already started looking for a room and asked him if he had any input. Needless to say, I got what I was pretty much expecting. He said he didn’t care if we stayed value or mod. So I mentioned Pop and he said yeah book Pop then we have more money to spend on other stuff, lol. But then he said he didn’t care where we stayed, so yeah pretty much what I was expecting, lol. He did say this would absolutely be the last trip for a long time (did I mention I am heading down shortly with my sister and friends?)

I did price out a trip for Pop but I think I will price one out for French Quarter as well. The good news is, I will not need tickets for our trip just the room and meal plan, we have “leftover” tickets we can use. Not sure if we have 3 or 4 Days left on each but I was thinking 3 full days in the park would be nice for us.

Does anyone know what they typically offer in September for discounts? I know many kids are in school so I am guessing the weekend will still be a bit busy. DH thought maybe October would be good but I am trying to plan this at a time that my sister can take our kids to our camping trailer if that is what she wants to do.

If you are going soon, call & ask about the bounceback offer while you are there. Dates in September are included. There is a bounceback thread on the Resorts discount subforum. I posted a photo of the current offer on the last page of that thread. Bouncebacks can be booked by any guest at a Disney resort. You do not have to get "an offer" or wait for a special invitation to take advantage of a bounceback. You must book while you are a current guest. You call ext 8844 from the hotel room & ask for availability on your dates & resort choices.

I would go moderate, POR is beautiful or even POFQ. Perfect for couples, you can take the boat to Disney Springs, you can take a nice stroll together. I would stay moderate if you plan on spending time at the resort, if you plan on staying at the parks from open to close then stay at POP..

I really believe you would be happy with POR or POFQ

We mainly stay at the DVC resorts now. We stayed at POP one night (while DVC owners - drove, arrived early) and moderates (CBR & POR) before DVC and a night here and there while DVC owners).

Having said that, If it was just hubby and I, I would definitely want to try and experience a different/new resort. If the difference is not that significant, try a Deluxe (BW, Beach Club) but I would be happy to try POFQ or POR. They are next to each other. POFQ smaller/more intimate.

Have fun planning and deciding!! (How many nights? Are you at the parks opening to closing?)

We mainly stay at the DVC resorts now. We stayed at POP one night (while DVC owners - drove, arrived early) and moderates (CBR & POR) before DVC and a night here and there while DVC owners).

Having said that, If it was just hubby and I, I would definitely want to try and experience a different/new resort. If the difference is not that significant, try a Deluxe (BW, Beach Club) but I would be happy to try POFQ or POR. They are next to each other. POFQ smaller/more intimate.

Have fun planning and deciding!! (How many nights? Are you at the parks opening to closing?)

I am not sure, we have generally gone in the summer with the kids and have normally gone back to our room in the afternoon for the boys to hit the pool and Mommy to get a little rest (me and bathing suits are a no, no, lol). Then we would go back to the parks but it was more for the boys to get a break and swim each day. Since it is just the hubby and I, I am not so sure we will do that. I doubt we would do the parks open to close but I do see us doing the parks from whenever we get there in the morning to at least fireworks or laser show, not really closing per se but close enough.

I plan to price out the other resorts today and see what happens, wish me luck.

I'd definitely go moderate rather than Pop. If you're not planning on spending large amounts of time in your room other than sleep, I probably wouldn't bother with the deluxes. I'd definitely recommend the Port Orleans resort..our favorite is Riverside, but FQ is very nice too.

DH and I are taking our 1st vacation alone since our honeymoon 16 years ago next month!!! We are using the opportunity to stay at AKL, because we are unable to with our kids as we are a family of 5. We are totally using our week to do stuff that the kids whine and complain about. It's all about us!! So excited!

Good luck!! Let us know how you make out. Either way, you will have a great time

DH and I are taking our 1st vacation alone since our honeymoon 16 years ago next month!!! We are using the opportunity to stay at AKL, because we are unable to with our kids as we are a family of 5. We are totally using our week to do stuff that the kids whine and complain about. It's all about us!! So excited!

I try to encourage every couple, once they have a few trips with the whole family under their belt, to take a trip without kids. You get a whole new perspective and it's wonderful!!!

I try to encourage every couple, once they have a few trips with the whole family under their belt, to take a trip without kids. You get a whole new perspective and it's wonderful!!!

We used to go to Disney by ourselves all the time before kids, up until our honeymoon! :rotfl2:

It's been FAR too long - and I can't wait!! :banana:

I agree to check out the Swan. MUCH nicer resort than any moderate, walk to Epcot, queen or king bed, beautiful pool to relax near. Yes, you'd have to get airport transportation, but it's so much nicer!

You mention meal plan. I wouldn't bother anyway, just pay as you go.

Otherwise, I agree to look into renting DVC points and go deluxe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter