Double Stroller and the buses

Personally if I had 2 kids that age, I'd bring two small simple strollers- so much easier to maneuver around anyway. Like umbrellas, since they're not infants and just need a seat to ride.

Since you say 'we', I'm guessing there are 2 parents or other adults that will be there? When mine were little, DH and I had the double stroller on the bus routine down to a science. First, I always would bring an empty shopping bag and line the bottom of the basket with it (think grocery store 99 cent bag)...When getting near the bus entrance, I would grab all 'junk' that accumulates under the stroller (have drunk water bottles, dirty shirts that were changed, souveniers, empty popcorn bucket) and throw it all into the shopping bag, diaper bag would be on dh's back. I would hook the shopping bag through and arm and grab a hand of each kid. DH would either enter via the back bus entrance (if open) or walk there immediately and stand near that back entrance with the stroller leaned up against the pole. I would sit with a kid on my lap and one next to me. DH would be the first one off the bus and set the stroller up on the sidewalk and I could walk out and usually put a sleeping child right down.

My kids were 3 and 5 when we went. I have a bumbleride indie twin, but decided that since it is wider then a citi mini and bulky to fold, we were better of renting. The citi mini folds up easily and the part you use to fold it acts as a handle to carry it with. It was also much lighter then my bigger double stroller.

As for the bus, it worked out fine. We saw other families with strollers as well. As a pp said, have anything loose packed up before the bus comes. I would take the kids and try to find us seats. If the bus was full, my DH would quickly fold the stroller and would stand with it so he was not in anyone's way.
Ditto! We mostly take the buses and never had issues with our stroller(s) and we had used our sit-n-stand for many trips. We did the exact same thing, DW would take our DDs and sit while I would take the stroller and a bag and head straight to the back door and stand out of the way, I have no issues standing with our stroller. I get peeved at the lazy fathers that sit down right in front and have their stroller sticking out in the aisle making it harder to get around them:( We have also step to the side when a bus had standing room only and waited for the next bus, so that DW and DDs could have seats, rarely did we wait very long for the next bus. Once you get the routine down (kids out, take bags, fold stroller) it is very easy. BTW, we drive to WDW and still would rather take WDW transportation.

Since you say 'we', I'm guessing there are 2 parents or other adults that will be there? When mine were little, DH and I had the double stroller on the bus routine down to a science. First, I always would bring an empty shopping bag and line the bottom of the basket with it (think grocery store 99 cent bag)...When getting near the bus entrance, I would grab all 'junk' that accumulates under the stroller (have drunk water bottles, dirty shirts that were changed, souveniers, empty popcorn bucket) and throw it all into the shopping bag, diaper bag would be on dh's back. I would hook the shopping bag through and arm and grab a hand of each kid. DH would either enter via the back bus entrance (if open) or walk there immediately and stand near that back entrance with the stroller leaned up against the pole. I would sit with a kid on my lap and one next to me. DH would be the first one off the bus and set the stroller up on the sidewalk and I could walk out and usually put a sleeping child right down.
FYI; It's against policy to enter through the back door. Our last trip this happened twice and both times the bus driver stopped loading until the people that entered the back door got off and came in through the front.

I really did not enjoy getting on and off the bus with a double citi-mini. We had the same drill as others, kids out, bags out & fold pre-bus arriving. But it was still a pain. The questions to ask is whether or not that pain is worth the benefits. I'm also trying to make the decision to single stroller or double stroller (4 & 6 yo ) for next trip.

Disney should add the outside the bus racks for strollers like the ones that some buses have for bikes and skis.

We've rented a City Mini Double for our last 4 trips (since we had YDD). On our most recent trips we avoided the buses as much as possible, because it is such a hassle. That said, for a double stroller it's probably the easiest to handle around WDW (we have a joovy ultralight at home that is heavier and harder to fold). We only need a single, very light umbrella stroller (McLaren volo) going through the airport, so it is well worth the extra cost for us to travel light(er) through the airport and then only deal with the stroller at WDW. We have a 6 yo and an almost 2yo. The 6yo mostly walked on the last trip, although at the end of the night (after dinner, around 8pm) and also to get places quickly, she was happy to sit in the stroller and she probably would have been whining otherwise. Our next trip is February, when ODD will be 6.5 and YDD will be 2.3, and I wonder whether a stroller rental will be worth it. OTOH we will be staying in a 1-BR so storage space for the stroller won't be such an issue.

In short, it's doable, the other alternative is 2 small umbrella strollers (I have a friend with twins who did that and got clips that could clip the 2 together), but all in all I'm looking forward to going back down to one umbrella stroller soon.

FYI; It's against policy to enter through the back door. Our last trip this happened twice and both times the bus driver stopped loading until the people that entered the back door got off and came in through the front.
Unless the driver sees you and invites you to enter there, it’s dangerous to enter thru the back door.
Even with the mirrors, the driver can’t see passengers entering thru that door. I’ve seen the door shut a little girl when the dad sent her ahead of him onto the bus thru the back door. I’ve also seen part of a group get in when they entered the door while guests were leaving and the rest of the group having the door shut on them.

Last edited:

Hi! We have 3 boys. They will be 8, 6.5, and 3.5. We are planning on renting a single stroller. Should we be getting a double? My husband doesn't want to deal with getting the double onto and off of the buses.

I think a single is fine, but some people here will say you need a triple, so the 8 year old doesn't have to walk either ;)

The city mini double on the bus is a bit of a pain. It takes up a bit of room and I found the area near the rear door to be the best place to stand with it and still be considerate of others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts