Dopey challenge course questions from newbie

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Unfortunately, we can't find any map of the course on rundisney, or FAQs we need, so here I am! Thanks in advance! First, is it better to drive yourself to the starting line or to let the Disney buses do their thing? We'll either be at OKW or BCV, haven't decided yet. But one reason we were leaning towards BCV is that someone told me that after the races, DH can walk from the entrance of Epcot, through Epcot, to the resort. But the rundisney page says "No". When DH ran the F&W half marathon, spectators weren't allowed at the finish line and we had to meet up in Epcot at a location we'd pre-arranged. But it looks like for these races, I'll be allowed to meet DH at the finish line outside Epcot. Then take a bus or drive back to our resort? And since we can't find the courses, any tips on good spectator locations? Should I get on the bus to the start with DH, then go to a spectator location? For the F&W half, Epcot was open so lots of us walked out the IG, then watched the runners go by YC/BC.

If the park is open and you have a valid ticket to enter the parks, you can circle around from the finish line and walk through the park to go back to the hotels along Boardwalk. So that would be an option at least for the full marathon.

I'm not sure about spectating for the 5-10k, but spectators are allowed into the Magic Kingdom to cheer if you'd want to try that as a first location. Or I've heard/seen some people cheer from outside the Contemporary so they have time to run over to the Grand Floridian or Polynesian and see their runners a second time. You can hop the monorail back to EPCOT for the finish of the half marathon.

HERE is the full marathon course as it has been from 2013-2015. I wouldn't be surprised if 2016 is a little different due to plans to shut down the Speedway this year.

HERE is the half marathon course as it's been for I think even longer.

HERE is a map from 2014 of the 5k and 10k. With the focus around EPCOT for a shared finish line, this was probably the same or close to it for 2015 and likely unchanged for 2016 unless new construction is announced for EPCOT.

DH told me that since there's a sidewalk from the front of Epcot directly under a road, going to BCV, he'll just walk to and from the race that way. I used to think that WDW didn't want guests walking that route, but then a few years ago the lobby concierge gave DH a running route that included running out past the guard shack, then taking a right along that route. Can he do that then, or will he have to take the bus?

someone told me that after the races, DH can walk from the entrance of Epcot, through Epcot, to the resort. But the rundisney page says "No".

I think the rundisney page says you can't go through Epcot to get to the *start* of the race. Does it say that for the end, too? I haven't seen that.

I think the rundisney page says you can't go through Epcot to get to the *start* of the race. Does it say that for the end, too? I haven't seen that.

I stand corrected! You're right-it only says you can't walk to the start, not afterwards. I just read too fast the first time.

You could easily walk back with a park ticket - although I've never really had any issues with the buses. The convenient thing about BCV is you can spectate the 10k, half and full by just walking out of your hotel. Then right back to bed.

Last year we drove over from Contemporary for the 5k and 10k. It was absolutely freezing so getting to sit in the car for those few extra minutes was so worth it. Traffic wasn't an issue. Also, for the Contemporary you use the monorail system and it is a long walk from the finish back to the monorail so it was just easier to drive for the first 2 races. We ended up using Disney transport for the others. If staying at an Epcot resort, if you have valid park admission it is definitely doable to walk back to the hotel. I guess it all depends on how much walking you want to do. Again, the finish line is way out in the Epcot parking lot. The busses aren't too far from the finish but the Epcot entrance is a relatively long walk, especially after the 1/2 and marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter