Does our group 2 need a DAS?

MG3G

Mouseketeer
Hi - thank you for reading this - sorry it's long...

Family of 8 going to the parks first two week of Feb.
I'm debating if we need to get two DAS passes OR if there are things that "group 2" can do while "group 1" is doing scary rides that won't need a DAS.

Group one - Dad, NT teen, Teen with autism, 8 year - these are the thrill seekers. Our DAS will be attached to our kiddo with autism.

Group two -
- Mom with scooter (neuro movement disorder triggered by sensory input - crowds, loud spaces of competing noise (noise is fine - as long as it's not coming from a bunch of places and competing), flashing lights - if I get overwhelmed basically my brain short circuits and I can't control my limbs - they do their own thing. This response is also triggered by walking - so I use the scooter for anything more than about ten minutes)
- little girl with severe ADHD
- little girl with chronic pain will have stroller as wheelchair
- Grandma with wheelchair at times - she's fine at home but an old injury makes long walks very painful.

So we're basically the "slow group". While the "thrill seekers" are riding fast stuff us "slow pokes" want to find things to do. I know the layout of DisneyLAND and I know exactly which attractions are near thrill rides, are easy loads, and don't have overwhelming ques. The three of us in chairs can walk short distances and will hobble around having our own fun :) BUT would a DAS be better for my issues and/or our little girl with very severe ADHD? Are we going to be miserable trying to manage ourselves when we are away from the main group? (I do have some fast passes booked for us for shows but it's hard to gauge just how far AWAY those actually ARE.)

-We managed Disneyland trips really well, the most recent three years ago, so I'm optimistic DW will be the same. But it's such a huge undertaking - this is my self made "wish trip" since my disease is progressive.

You can go to GR and talk to them about your need and your kids need as everyone if different. Even with a DAS There will be waits most of the time it is 10 minutes can be much longer

The first thought that comes to mind is that a DAS may result in a lot more walking for your “slow” group. Return times for the “thrill seekers” may not line up with a return time for a “slow” attraction in the same area of the park. Unlike DLR/CA parks, DAS return times at WDW parks are given at the attraction (not a kiosk), so you’ll have to get to the attraction to request the return time and then wait around/shop/eat/ride standby until that time.

That said, if one of you in the “slow” group really needs the accommodation of the DAS to experience the attractions, then by all means request it at Guest Relations. Doing without may mean the difference between a good time or a very unhappy experience. But it depends on your needs related to waiting in a queue environment and not diagnosis.

Who will push the stroller-as-wheelchair if Mom is on an ECV and grandma is pushing a wheelchair? The other little girl? Your group may be best taking a rest-break while the thrill-seekers ride.

Enjoy your vacation.

The first thought that comes to mind is that a DAS may result in a lot more walking for your “slow” group. Return times for the “thrill seekers” may not line up with a return time for a “slow” attraction in the same area of the park. Unlike DLR/CA parks, DAS return times at WDW parks are given at the attraction (not a kiosk), so you’ll have to get to the attraction to request the return time and then wait around/shop/eat/ride standby until that time.

That said, if one of you in the “slow” group really needs the accommodation of the DAS to experience the attractions, then by all means request it at Guest Relations. Doing without may mean the difference between a good time or a very unhappy experience. But it depends on your needs related to waiting in a queue environment and not diagnosis.

Who will push the stroller-as-wheelchair if Mom is on an ECV and grandma is pushing a wheelchair? The other little girl? Your group may be best taking a rest-break while the thrill-seekers ride.

Enjoy your vacation.

Sorry yes that probably wasn't super clear. All of us can walk - me for about ten minutes - Grandma doesn't normally use a chair and can easily do a couple hours just not all day - little one in the buggy is the same she can do about 30 minutes before complaining. We can wrangle ourselves for an hour or two while our coaster crazies do their thing. :) Grandma will push stroller/wheelchair babe when we're on our own. I even can through short ques.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts