Do you take your dog to the beach? What do you use for a leash stake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvavacation

DIS Veteran
Taking our two big dogs to the beach soon. I am looking at some type of stake to attach their leads to so I can keep them near but have my hands free if I am making sandwiches or puttering about. We have stakes that we would use up north in soil, but none of them will stay in place with sand and 100 pound dogs. Any ideas?

Our beaches don't allow dogs during the summer. Even in the off season it's only certain hours. That isn't just NJ either. I know cape cod doesn't allow dogs.

We are going to a dog friendly beach in FL and staying in a dog friendly home. We have stayed here before when we only had one dog, but now with two, it will be harder to hold onto the dogs when I need my hands free (we don't let our dogs run free, even at a dog friendly beach, they are always on leads or leashes), hence my desire to find a good stake for leashes that works well in sand. I am hoping it exists somewhere!

We only take our dogs out in early morning and late evening. The sand is too hot for the pads of their feet. Our dogs love to go, though.

A dog that weighs 100lbs can pull much than that, especially with a running start so in Sand I don't think you will find anything that is practical.

Stick to benches cars etc..

If there is a picnic table, bench, convenient tree, or log, that would be easy. Of course, hard to preplan for that. Maybe a tent stake meant for sand?

We are taking ours for the first time this weekend. She is a little yorkie and stays right with us so we won't leash her. We have a body sling we will carry her down to the beach with and we are renting chairs, umbrella and table and will put a towel down for her to lay on. We plan on taking her out to the waters edge just to see what she will do but we will carry her there so she doesn't walk on the hot sand. She is very submissive and well trained so doesn't leave our sides when off the leash although we will have one with us just in case. In your circumstance, I'd probably just do as DLgal said and loop them around the chair, we do that when we are eating outside at dog friendly restaurants.

Taking our two big dogs to the beach soon. I am looking at some type of stake to attach their leads to so I can keep them near but have my hands free if I am making sandwiches or puttering about. We have stakes that we would use up north in soil, but none of them will stay in place with sand and 100 pound dogs. Any ideas?

We got a super tie down - it was rated for boats and airplanes, LOL! I'm trying to find it online. I thought I got it through LL Bean but it's not on their website. It was a three prong shape, with stakes that dug in from each prong. It was intense! I thought it was going to be much smaller, as it was for a corgi, LOL! I'll post a link if I can find one online.

Found it! https://creativeshelters.com/category/claw-anchor

We got a super tie down - it was rated for boats and airplanes, LOL! I'm trying to find it online. I thought I got it through LL Bean but it's not on their website. It was a three prong shape, with stakes that dug in from each prong. It was intense! I thought it was going to be much smaller, as it was for a corgi, LOL! I'll post a link if I can find one online.

Found it! https://creativeshelters.com/category/claw-anchor

Thank you, DisneyOma! That looks perfect! I may buy a couple and use them for our beach tent, too!

OP, when I was looking for a heavy duty tie-down for my rv awning I came across The Claw. I watched a video on youtube testing various ti-downs and The Claw did not do very well, it pulled out with 200+ lbs pulling on it. This was in soil, in sand it would probably do worse.

I ended up making my own using an RV tie-down kit (spiral stake) and cementing that into planters. If your dogs are 100lbs I think its going to be hard to find anything that stays secure in sand if they decided to really pull away.

OP, when I was looking for a heavy duty tie-down for my rv awning I came across The Claw. I watched a video on youtube testing various ti-downs and The Claw did not do very well, it pulled out with 200+ lbs pulling on it. This was in soil, in sand it would probably do worse.

I ended up making my own using an RV tie-down kit (spiral stake) and cementing that into planters. If your dogs are 100lbs I think its going to be hard to find anything that stays secure in sand if they decided to really pull away.

Depends on the length of the stakes?

Also, another good choice would be a land anchor for a boat.

That's a whole lot of dog! I second the idea of tying them to something huge, like a picnic table or vehicle if possible. I just know how hyper our small (16 pound) pupster gets at the beach--even she's tough to control and she's little! I hope you find something that works, and you all have a good time. Our girl always comes home from the beach smelly and exhausted, but man, does she have fun!

Depends on the length of the stakes?

Also, another good choice would be a land anchor for a boat.

Idk, he tested one out of the package so whatever length they were, can't remember if he said that.
I think it depends on a few factors, soil being one of them.

I think the OP would find something that was heavy that sat on the sand would work best, I assume a land anchor for a boat works like that?

I don't know of any such product. I agree it might be better to tie their leashes to something solid. But you'll have to be aware of things like sun, heat, hot sand or cement, having plenty of water, their going to the bathroom, excitement, etc. I'd also plan to bring sandwiches already made, as making them at the beach has nightmare written all over it, lol, especially with two big dogs to worry about. A little wind or tail wag has the potential to cover all your food with sand, and nothing is worse!

Idk, he tested one out of the package so whatever length they were, can't remember if he said that.
I think it depends on a few factors, soil being one of them.

I think the OP would find something that was heavy that sat on the sand would work best, I assume a land anchor for a boat works like that?

Our land anchor was J-shaped, so whatever tried to pull on the long stem just dug the hook deeper into the sand. The tri-point stake we got had foot-long stakes. You can get longer ones, or ones with barbed/pointy tips that dig in better. Burying it in the sand can help too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts