Do you have to prove your health insurance coverage in order to have car insurance?

Kitty 34

Hums in her sleep
We've had AAA for over 20 years and I never remember having to discuss our health insurance policies with them so I was confused when my DH got a letter stating the following:

"Your auto ins premium is based in part on your health insurance. To ensure you are properly covered please complete the survey below......"

The survey continues to ask yes or no do we even have insurance; our policy #s, are we employed, etc etc.

Finally if we fail to answer this survey will result in the removal of our discounts. (what discounts??)

I know I can call AAA which we will do tomorrow but just want your thoughts on this. :)

ETA.......I'm from mid-Michigan. ;)

Last edited:
I know you can add OPTIONAL medical coverage on your auto insurance to cover injury due to an accident but other than that I don't see why your health insurance would affect your auto insurance.

I know you can add OPTIONAL medical coverage on your auto insurance to cover injury due to an accident but other than that I don't see why your health insurance would affect your auto insurance.

The letter didn't ask us if we wanted optional medical coverage.

Dd21 was in a bad car accident. The hospital and ambulance needed to submit the bill to Geico first and have them not pay (because they are our secondary insurance in an accident), and after the claim is denied, they will submit the bill to our health insurance company. I imagine that if we didn’t have health insurance, Geico would be on the hook.

Never had to tell my auto insurance carrier if I had health insurance.

Like everyone, I HAVE had to include proof of health insurance when filing my income taxes, as required by the Affordable Healthcare Act, otherwise you have to pay the tax penalty if you don't .

This is a state specific questions. Some states do ask if your health insurance is a qualified plan. For us to answer we would need to know the stare your auto insurance is based in.

No more often then not they tack on medical coverage for you in case the other party is under/uninsured, perhaps you have this coverage but they are betting they will only need to pay your share (after insurance) costs.

We've had AAA for over 20 years and I never remember having to discuss our health insurance policies with them so I was confused when my DH got a letter stating the following:

"Your auto ins premium is based in part on your health insurance. To ensure you are properly covered please complete the survey below......"

The survey continues to ask yes or no do we even have insurance; our policy #s, are we employed, etc etc.

Finally if we fail to answer this survey will result in the removal of our discounts. (what discounts??)

I know I can call AAA which we will do tomorrow but just want your thoughts on this. :)
You're from Michigan (if I read your profile correctly). Michigan does have Health Insurance requirements for auto insurance and is part of the reason rates can be very high up there since they have a unique structure. That requirement is unique to Michigan as far as the states I dealt with. You're getting a reduction in premium basically though AAA may actually have their rates structured so that it is an outright discount.

This was some information I found online as it's been a while since I've had to deal personally with Michigan on that.
upload_2018-1-21_15-14-55.png

Basically you're shifting the immediate and initial risk of medical coverage away from your auto insurance company to your health insurance company and because of this your auto insurance company is giving you a reduction in premium. If you want them to take on the whole risk of your medical expenses your auto insurance company will take that into consideration when it comes to your rates.

I would def. contact AAA though since I'm rusty on in-depth auto insurance stuff...I would always recommend contacting and discussing insurance stuff directly with your company anyways :)

I know AAA sends out a lot of marketing mail. Could it be that? I get life insurance mailings that look official but it’s really junk mail.

It's not junk. There's another letter attached saying because our policy included Coordinated Medical Benefits we are receiving this survey. Apparently it has to do with who will pay first in auto injuries.....our health insurance or them. Never even heard of this
You're from Michigan (if I read your profile correctly). Michigan does have Health Insurance requirements for auto insurance and is part of the reason rates can be very high up there since they have a unique structure. That requirement is unique to Michigan as far as the states I dealt with. You're getting a reduction in premium basically though AAA may actually have their rates structured so that it is an outright discount.

This was some information I found online as it's been a while since I've had to deal personally with Michigan on that.
View attachment 296979

Basically you're shifting the immediate and initial risk of medical coverage away from your auto insurance company to your health insurance company and because of this your auto insurance company is giving you a reduction in premium. If you want them to take on the whole risk of your medical expenses your auto insurance company will take that into consideration when it comes to your rates.

I would def. contact AAA though since I'm rusty on in-depth auto insurance stuff...I would always recommend contacting and discussing insurance stuff directly with your company anyways :)

Thank you for your helpful information.:thumbsup2 Because DH and I have switched insurances in the past couple of years (retirement related) I'm just surprised they have never asked about the info before. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter