• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Do I need ADR's for DDP Oct 1st?

PIRATEGIRL007

DIS Cast Member<br><font color=purple>OMG! I am ab
Tell me the truth, even if I don't want to hear it. :teeth: We will be at WDW from 9/30-10/09 on the free DDP promo. 4 adults, 2 which will be newbies to WDW. My DFi and I are NOT into planning things and tend to be quite spontaneous while at WDW, so I'm stressing a little over ADR's. I'm not really into being nailed down to a certain park at a certain time. Last December I made several after urging in the boards and ended up cancelling several and the ones I kept weren't really needed (except LeCellier), people where walking up and getting tables with no ADR's, even during MVMCP. Do you think I will need them for the first of Oct, with the free dining plan promo techincally ending on 9/30 (we got it b/c we are checking in that day!, thank goodness for flexible plans)?

We plan on definately eating at:
Liberty Tree Tavern
Whispering Canyon (breakfast)
Mama Melrose
San Angel Inn
Sci-Fi
Makkersh (well just me and mom, DFi and dad are way too picky)
one unknown charector breakfast (will make ADR no problem for this one)
Yachtsman (DFi and I only, will make ADR for this one, definately)

Thanks for all your advice!

I would make ADR's even though I am struggling with that myself! It's hard to know where we will be at a certain time, but I know that chances of getting a table are slim to none. Not impossible, just improbable!

Life can be very easy...

If I'm going for 7 nights, I pick my favorite 7 restaurants and I make 7 ADR's for 7:30

Now 180 days later,... I go to the parks and do what I want, but at 6:00 if I can't get into the resturant I want, I have 90 minutes to get to my ADR.

So...if you are the type that can't plan it out... (freedom comes with a price at Disney, you better have hopper tickets).

And.....do us all a favor- if you aren't gonig to use an ADR that day or evening, please call and cancel...even if its just 90 minutes before you are to eat (helps others get seated)

P.S. I love to plan, I know 180 days-out exactly what I'm doing for all 7 days minute-by-minute. (the problem is sometimes it rains and pours,.. and a day at the Animal Kingdom becomes a day at Epcot...) now my perfect planning goes right out the window :confused3

Liberty Tree Tavern lunch you might be OK, but dinner is a character meal and you'll probably get turned away

Whispering Canyon breakfast you'll probably be OK

Mama Melrose I'd make an ADR, I've seen them turn away more than accept walk ups (including last year during the free dining)

San Angel Inn lunch would probably be OK, but I'd make an ADR for dinner

Sci-Fi during free dining-- I wouldn't try it without an ADR

Marrakesh you'd probably be OK

Just FYI I was there last year during the free dining period and saw lots of people turned away and alot of very unhappy people complaining Disney had given them the free dining, but wouldn't let them get in anywhere to eat. As far as getting free dining for the last day of Sept and then qualifying for it for the first week of Oct, if you read the posts you'll see lots of other people did the exact same thing. Personally I think that week is going to be more crowded than the month of Sept. Food & Wine Festival starts that weekend and people are smart enough to book a trip utilizing Sept 30th in order to incorporate the free dining with it.

Wow! We are going to be there on the exact same dates!!!

I would make at least some ADRs. I would think you'd want to make something for your first night, and any restaurants that you really MUST go to.

Last year at the same time the crowds got heavier as soon as the Food & Wine Fest started... and you can count on that crowd liking to eat!!! I personally think you should at least map out a few meals... but that's me... I'd just hate to be disappointed if I didn't get the great meals I wanted.

I'll be there at the same time as the OP. My ADR's were booked at the 180 day mark, I've tried making changes to different restaruants, and have been told (more than 1/2 the time) that the only times available are before 4:30pm and after 8:30pm for dinner.
I'd make at least some ADR's, at least LTT, MM, SciFi...

I would make my ADRs -- not only is the Free DDP going on, but the food & wine festival will be going on as well. Better to be safe and satisfied than disappointed and frustrated. princess:

Please make some ADRs. We were there in December during a traditionally slow time and saw numerous restaurants turning away walk-ups saying they had no availability.

Another reason to make ADRS.. went to Boma at 6:00 pm when our ADRS were not until 9 pm. At first just asked if we could be seated(party of 3), was told no walk-ins until 10 pm. Then I said, I could not wait but please cancel my 9 pm ADRS. CM said "You have ADRS?? Well, then I can seat you earlier, how about in 10 minutes?" (we were actually seated in 5 minutes!) Note:there was nobody waiting at that particular moment, so maybe we were just lucky.

Ok, I took your advice and went ahead and made all my ADR's for the week. I got everything I wanted within 15 min of the time I intially requested! Although we are not eating at any 'impossible to get ADR' places, I feel better that I have at least something planned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter