DLH Check-in

carolina_yankee

DIS Veteran
We arrive on Monday 7/24 around 1:30 pm for 4 nights. What are the chances of DLH letting us into our room right away? It's a very early flight from Philadelphia, so we're planning on one of two scenarios:

a) check in and crash for a couple of hours before heading out for dinner and an evening in the parks.

b)Stow baggage with bell services, then eat lunch and spend the afternoon in the parks; come back early evening and crash for an early start the next day.

Thanks!
Dirk

It depends how busy the hotel is, and if someone checked out of "your" room early or not. Some people don't leave at the 11:00 check-out time. If no one was in the room the night before then you'll be able to check in early.

We got a hotel room on Monday, 7/3, and the room was ready when I checked in at 10:30am.

I agree with Mary Jo, it just depends on whether or not your room was occupied the night before. I have been able to check into the DLH before as early as 10:00 a.m. but didn't get into my GCH room two weeks ago until after 4:00 p.m. They will let you leave a cell number and call you as soon as your room is ready which is nice. You could always lie on one of of the chaise lounges at the pool in the shade and nap there (did that once too ;) )!

I think it also depends on what kind of room you want and in which Tower. When we checked in last year we got there at noon. They were fine with giving us our room right then, but asked if we were okay with just a standard view room of the good old parking lot. I'm the type that wants to have a room when we get there, so that was fine with me! But I'm sure it also depends on how busy they are and how quickly they got to the rooms when people checked out. I'm hoping for an early check in when we get there on Sunday ourselves!

JenDisneylandlver said:
I think it also depends on what kind of room you want and in which Tower. When we checked in last year we got there at noon. They were fine with giving us our room right then, but asked if we were okay with just a standard view room of the good old parking lot. I'm the type that wants to have a room when we get there, so that was fine with me! But I'm sure it also depends on how busy they are and how quickly they got to the rooms when people checked out. I'm hoping for an early check in when we get there on Sunday ourselves!

That is such a good point! The time I got my room at 10:00 a.m. at the DLH I was put into a parking lot view in the Bonita Tower. For some reason many people avoid the Bonita Tower like the plague which makes for a hassle for the people assigning rooms I am sure. At the GCH three weeks ago I was adamant that I wanted a bunk bed room and was told that would make the wait longer (which was fine). Definitely given the three towers and various levels of views/rooms at the DLH, the less picky you are the better. And for what its worth, I loved the Bonita Tower and the rooms we have had there. Now I request it and one time the CM told me she wanted to hug me for doing so!

We're staying on DVC points in a standard view room, so I'm not expecting much bargaining power. If they tell me at check in they can give me Sierra Tower if I wait or Bonita preferred, I'll take it; othewise I'll request Marina or Sierra just for proximity reasons.

We're pretty flexible. It's just a bit of an extra pain to dress for a long flight (pants and shoes since we both get cold on long flights) without knowing if we can change easily for park attire before going to the parks. Good think Columbia makes cargo pants that convert to shorts!! Unfortunately, my Columbia Convertibles have enough metal in them to set off the airport detectors so a wand search will definitely be in order. Sigh.

Dirk

carolina_yankee said:
We're staying on DVC points in a standard view room, so I'm not expecting much bargaining power. If they tell me at check in they can give me Sierra Tower if I wait or Bonita preferred, I'll take it; othewise I'll request Marina or Sierra just for proximity reasons.

We're pretty flexible. It's just a bit of an extra pain to dress for a long flight (pants and shoes since we both get cold on long flights) without knowing if we can change easily for park attire before going to the parks. Good think Columbia makes cargo pants that convert to shorts!! Unfortunately, my Columbia Convertibles have enough metal in them to set off the airport detectors so a wand search will definitely be in order. Sigh.

Dirk

You should get a "Welcome Home" at check in. Staying on points is no different than paying with cash (except you pay no resort fees on points). We used points twice this year for DL. Stayed once @ DLH and once @ GCH. The DLH gave us two rooms that were ready when we checked in and I was able to pick which location. I think we checked in around 11:00 am. The GCH upgraded us to a Theme park room from a standard and that was a REALLY nice surprise. Enjoy your trip!

A "Welcome Home" would be cool! A DVC member on another DVC board mentioned she got an upgrade from standard to preferred at DLH (actually, she didn't know she got the upgrade until she told us her view)! So, I'm hopeful of something. That's why I don't want to make any requests before-hand, lest I ruin the pixie dust in process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter