Divequest

Laurajane6

Earning My Ears
hiii :)

I want to do something 'different' whilst we are at WDW to celebrate my partners birthday.

I've been looking at lots of different things and I think divequest looks like it would be an amazing experience.

The issue I have is that they say you need to be 'qualified' but how qualified do they mean?

I have been scuba diving before and have a certificate (somewhere) but my partner has not.

Would we need to be fully open water certified? Or something else?

TIA and any advice is welcome!

I’m not sure what kind of certificate is needed, but there is also a snorkeling one that doesn’t require anything. Maybe look into that one instead?

By qualified they mean an actual certification. If you have a "certificate" that you got by doing a resort SCUBA familiarization program that won't be good enough. You need to have gone through a PADI/NAUI diver certification program that usually requires many hours of class room study and pool work along with some open water check out dives.

My DH has done Dive Quest the list 4 trips to WDW. He absolutely loves it. Per the program documentation all Guests must be SCUBA-certified and 10 years of age or older to participate. Guests 10 to 12 years of age must be accompanied by a paying adult (18 years of age or older). You will need to provide proof of certification, such as a C-card or verification from a certifying agency. My DH is Padi certified.

Wild Africa Trek is another one that gets routinely good reviews. We’re doing that one. I debated with the snorkeling one but kids didn’t want to do that one.

By qualified they mean an actual certification. If you have a "certificate" that you got by doing a resort SCUBA familiarization program that won't be good enough. You need to have gone through a PADI/NAUI diver certification program that usually requires many hours of class room study and pool work along with some open water check out dives.
It's sooooooooooo cool that they do this! My DD6 has a goal to acquire her scuba certification so she can do something like this activity! Granted she's got a few more years of training to go... ;) But it's an awesome goal!

I’m not sure what kind of certificate is needed, but there is also a snorkeling one that doesn’t require anything. Maybe look into that one instead?

Oh I had no idea that they offered this, thank you!! I will 100% look into this. And the Wild Africa Trek you also mentioned.

Thank you, I did think that this would be the case.

I have mine but had a look at how much it would cost for my parter a fair few hundred to do it here so thinking it'll be a pass on divequest for now

I've done it twice and LOVED it. Where else can you do such a safe dive and see soooooo many different species... including humans in the human tank. They ask you to present your PADI card or equivalent when you show up. If you're not certified then I would do the snorkel tour... I'm sure its pretty amazing too.

Probably the coolest thing I've ever done. Most definitely worth the money. Not too many other times where you're guaranteed to see so much variety in fauna. Plus the opportunity to interact with people in the restaurant or at the other viewing windows is so much fun. Got to play a game of paddy-cake with a little girl who just squeeled with laughter afterwards.

As mentioned above, you will need at the very least your Open Water certification through PADI or SSI. Can't recommend this enough!

I've done it twice and LOVED it. Where else can you do such a safe dive and see soooooo many different species... including humans in the human tank. They ask you to present your PADI card or equivalent when you show up. If you're not certified then I would do the snorkel tour... I'm sure its pretty amazing too.

Ahhh honestly I'm so tempted to just go ahead and do it but to get qualified is around £400 (I've done some light research) and I don't know if I can justify it... maybe one to add to the bucket list for future trips.

Definitely going to look into some snorkelling reviews and hopefully people have found that really good. Might be a good alternative!

Probably the coolest thing I've ever done. Most definitely worth the money. Not too many other times where you're guaranteed to see so much variety in fauna. Plus the opportunity to interact with people in the restaurant or at the other viewing windows is so much fun. Got to play a game of paddy-cake with a little girl who just squeeled with laughter afterwards.

As mentioned above, you will need at the very least your Open Water certification through PADI or SSI. Can't recommend this enough!

Yes I would've more than happy to pay the price for divequest, it's the £400odd to get qualified before that I'm not sure we can justify just yet.

I'm so tempted to just go ahead and do it but to get qualified is around £400
Actually you'll pay much more than that to get qualified. Typically you'll also want to buy your own mask, snorkel and fins. You probably also will buy things like weight belts, dive skins/wet suits, regulators, gauges/dive computers, gear bags...and so much more. Diving is an expensive hobby.

Actually you'll pay much more than that to get qualified. Typically you'll also want to buy your own mask, snorkel and fins. You probably also will buy things like weight belts, dive skins/wet suits, regulators, gauges/dive computers, gear bags...and so much more. Diving is an expensive hobby.

Yes I imagine all the equipment is very expensive, however Disney provide equipment for divequest so we wouldn't need it for that. Also the place near us we are looking at to get qualified allows you to rent equipment

Yes! MyDH is a diver (he did Divequest once). I mentioned to him when I went along on a trip that most of the participants were older. Seems they are the ones with time and money to go on trips! Both my DDs are certified but don't get out much to dive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter