Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Can you request an early check in. Have a flight landing at mco about 9am

You don't need to request it - you can check in any time after the hotel's computers switch over to the current day, which I believe is at 6 am. Your room may not be ready, but you can leave your luggage with Bell Services.

We have previously stayed at POFQ and are trying to decide if we should try POR for an upcoming trip in May. I like the look and amenities of POR, but my two concerns are the buses and AB vs. mansions. We really prefer the mansions, but it looks like the only way to guarantee it is a royal room -is this correct? If we do not book a royal room and request mansions, how likely is it to get this request? My fear of the buses is while staying at POFQ I saw many times we went to POR and there was no room for those folks on the bus. I don't mind standing (occasionally), but I would not like to be there waiting, have the bus arrive, and not be able to get on it. I saw the bus schedule on Andre's website -in reality, how has it been lately? If you are at the last stop at POR, do you actually get on the bus?

We have previously stayed at POFQ and are trying to decide if we should try POR for an upcoming trip in May. I like the look and amenities of POR, but my two concerns are the buses and AB vs. mansions. We really prefer the mansions, but it looks like the only way to guarantee it is a royal room -is this correct? If we do not book a royal room and request mansions, how likely is it to get this request? My fear of the buses is while staying at POFQ I saw many times we went to POR and there was no room for those folks on the bus. I don't mind standing (occasionally), but I would not like to be there waiting, have the bus arrive, and not be able to get on it. I saw the bus schedule on Andre's website -in reality, how has it been lately? If you are at the last stop at POR, do you actually get on the bus?

Everytime we've stayed at POR we requested the mansions and it's been fulfilled. As a traveling party of 2 not looking for the extra bed AB provides, I think that helps. But obviously there's no guarantee.

As for the buses, when we were there a few weeks ago, we noticed in the morning they sent the double buses. We never waited too long going to the parks. At night leaving the park was really when the lines were bad. Being in the mansions and close to POFQ, we would take the FQ bus back and walk. The few times we took the POR bus (esp when it was shared with FQ) back they seemed to be moving people quickly, but sometimes there was still a decent wait.

Everytime we've stayed at POR we requested the mansions and it's been fulfilled. As a traveling party of 2 not looking for the extra bed AB provides, I think that helps. But obviously there's no guarantee.

As for the buses, when we were there a few weeks ago, we noticed in the morning they sent the double buses. We never waited too long going to the parks. At night leaving the park was really when the lines were bad. Being in the mansions and close to POFQ, we would take the FQ bus back and walk. The few times we took the POR bus (esp when it was shared with FQ) back they seemed to be moving people quickly, but sometimes there was still a decent wait.

Thank you! My main concern is the morning when trying to make RD. Good idea to use POFQ bus as an option.

......... Being in the mansions and close to POFQ, we would take the FQ bus back and walk. The few times we took the POR bus (esp when it was shared with FQ) back they seemed to be moving people quickly, but sometimes there was still a decent wait.
What building were you in that you used the POFQ buses? And what route did the POR buses take, what order were the stops? The 2 times I've stayed at POR I was in Magnolia Bend and the East Depot was the 3rd stop with South last. By time we got to South Depot the buses were always FULL!!! Packed like sardines!!!
Others have said sometimes South Depot is the first stop?? Anyone know what is the current order?

Others have said sometimes South Depot is the first stop?? Anyone know what is the current order?

Generally, theme Park buses do West > North > East > South (with an initial call at French Quarter if the bus happens to be one that shares between the two resorts). Disney Springs buses also act as in internal shuttle, and they do FQ > South > West > North > East > FQ.

See www.portorleans.org/buses.php

Andre

I'm traveling with my Mom who has trouble with stairs. We like the mansions, but many photos of the exterior of the mansions look like you would need to go up stairs to even get in the first floor. Is this correct? Are the ground floor rooms actually right on the ground floor or not? Is it just a couple steps or a huge staircase? If we had a room on the upper floor could we walk onto the first floor and take the elevator or do we go up those big flights of stairs? Do people use these stairs or are they just for the theming??

I'm traveling with my Mom who has trouble with stairs. We like the mansions, but many photos of the exterior of the mansions look like you would need to go up stairs to even get in the first floor. Is this correct? Are the ground floor rooms actually right on the ground floor or not? Is it just a couple steps or a huge staircase? If we had a room on the upper floor could we walk onto the first floor and take the elevator or do we go up those big flights of stairs? Do people use these stairs or are they just for the theming??
In Magnolia Bend (A.K.A. "The Mansions") first floor rooms are at ground level and do not require stairs.
There are elevators to second and third floor rooms.
People can choose to use the stairs instead of the elevators, they aren't just for the theming.

If one is in the royal rooms, approximately how king of a walk is it to the buses at PORFQ? General range? Just curious, tia!

If one is in the royal rooms, approximately how king of a walk is it to the buses at PORFQ? General range? Just curious, tia!

I was a little further away from POFQ than the Royal Rooms (in Magnolia Bend) and it was about 10 minutes to POFQ, maybe 12 to the main building?

Are the ground floor rooms actually right on the ground floor or not? Is it just a couple steps or a huge staircase?

There is step-free access to all of the ground floor rooms, however in some cases you may need to go a little way around the building to get to it. For example, the river-facing rooms in some of the mansion buildings have a couple of steps up to access them from the closest points to the river, while other areas have flat access - but you can get to any room from any point. Two examples:

POR-MB-2013b-1866_forum.jpg

POR-MB-2014-4737_forum.jpg

Andre

Wow great pics would you know if the royal rooms have ground floor access. Just dealing with a foot wound and want to minimize stairs. Thanks!

Wow great pics would you know if the royal rooms have ground floor access. Just dealing with a foot wound and want to minimize stairs. Thanks!

I already answered that above when I said "There is step-free access to all of the ground floor rooms", which would of course include ground floor Royal Rooms too.

Andre

The room assignors at POR imo are some of the best, and I've stayed at all resort levels. My last POR stay was after knee replacement surgery. I had booked a Royal Room, garden view. My request was Oak Manor inner courtyard on Riverside of building, 2nd fl, near footbridge. I faxed room assignor letting them know why I made these requests, and our room was perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better location. It was even close to the elevator. I hadn't thought of that! We looked out at the courtyard fountain.

Because of post op swelling I packed a lot of zip lock baggies. Every day getting back to our room daughter went to fill up baggie with ice! Mending from surgery POR was perfect for hanging around. I was pretty much done with parks by 2:00. So spent a lot of time at the resort.
I not know if swelling is an issue with your injury but I'm sure glad I had the zip locks.

What building were you in that you used the POFQ buses? And what route did the POR buses take, what order were the stops? The 2 times I've stayed at POR I was in Magnolia Bend and the East Depot was the 3rd stop with South last. By time we got to South Depot the buses were always FULL!!! Packed like sardines!!!

We had luckily been upgraded to a royal room and were staying in Parterre Place. Based on our room location we felt like POFQ and the main building/South depot at POR were not much different in distance. Since we were the South Depot, we were almost always the last bus stop. We'd rather get off the bus and walk then stay on the crowded bus. We never tried the POFQ in terms of going to the parks -- no particular reason, we never really thought of it and normally weren't in much of a rush.

32 days until our next visit. My wife and I have never done on line check in , nor have we ever made any specific room requests other than catagory when booking.
That being said, the furthest room we ever had was in AB close to the West Depot and that was only about an 11 minute walk. I'm pushing 60 and don't walk as fast as I used to so 11 minutes is a pretty good average.
For the past couple of years however, when we check in, once the cast member sees us at the desk, they ask if stairs are an issue. Even though we say no, but that we don't want anythng higher than second floor, they've given us a first floor room, generally reasonably close to both the main building and a bus stop. Last year it was a 4 minute walk to the main building and about 3 minites to the North Depot. We generally book Garden view but nothing more specific.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!