Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were there last week. One day, we were wondering around the Ceremonial House, and happened to be upstairs at the shop. I noticed three security guards at the entrance to the monorail, telling all the guests that the monorail was down. My thought was, why can't they communicate at least downstairs, to save some people some effort. I would have been angry if I had gone upstairs at the Ceremonial House for transportation, then had to backtrack to an alternative transportation method.

We then went downstairs, and by the elevator, there was a big sign saying the monorail was down, giving the other options. There is a good chance we walked right by it, without noticing it earlier. I laughed at myself, since they actually had done what I thought they should have done. However, there was no signage by either staircase. So, just make sure to check by the elevators to see if they have a sign up about the monorail.
We will. Thanks.

We were there last week. One day, we were wondering around the Ceremonial House, and happened to be upstairs at the shop. I noticed three security guards at the entrance to the monorail, telling all the guests that the monorail was down. My thought was, why can't they communicate at least downstairs, to save some people some effort. I would have been angry if I had gone upstairs at the Ceremonial House for transportation, then had to backtrack to an alternative transportation method.

We then went downstairs, and by the elevator, there was a big sign saying the monorail was down, giving the other options. There is a good chance we walked right by it, without noticing it earlier. I laughed at myself, since they actually had done what I thought they should have done. However, there was no signage by either staircase. So, just make sure to check by the elevators to see if they have a sign up about the monorail.

That's really good info, normally I'll use the stairs if it's just a floor or two. I would totally miss a sign like that if it's only near the elevator.

I just read the last few pages of posts here, as I have a reason to be checking in here again myself. My oldest son graduates from high school on May 29th, and when I asked him about plans to celebrate he didn't have anything in mind. I mentioned a Disney trip for the two of us, even though he's not the biggest Disney fan in our house, but he was VERY excited about the idea. I managed to get one night in a Poly Villa using our DVC points but couldn't get the second night...until YESTERDAY! And so it's official, we will do a very short mom and son post-graduation celebration trip in just over a week and we'll stay for TWO nights at a Polynesian Villa!

We both LOVE the Poly. We are also doing an after-hours DVC event at Typhoon Lagoon while there. It's going to be a whirlwind trip. I think on his short bucket list is actually eating at the sushi counter there inside the Polynesian, so that will be on our agenda for sure as well. The rest of the trip is somewhat up in the air, though we have FP+s at MK and HS so far. He also really wants to do EPCOT so we'll see if we can squeeze that in also.
My ds is 20 and dh and I are going to WDW this weekend . Our first trip as a family without dd23. (Moved out last year)

Usually dd and I go a few times a year mom n me trips. Then is 2016 he decided to come because we had poly cl booked for that trip. He had so much fun and also loved the sushi! That and Epcot food.!

So last year and again this year he tagged for 1 trip mainly for the food. As a surprise I booked him with me for this summer at poly cl 7/3-5 then we move to CR cl for 7/5-8. Dd arrives on the 5th (couldn't get off work) he turns 21 6/29 so mainly a treat for him to have both his fav cl's.

Giving them what they want makes a mom so happy and I'm just glad my kids love WDW too lol.

My ds is 20 and dh and I are going to WDW this weekend . Our first trip as a family without dd23. (Moved out last year)

Usually dd and I go a few times a year mom n me trips. Then is 2016 he decided to come because we had poly cl booked for that trip. He had so much fun and also loved the sushi! That and Epcot food.!

So last year and again this year he tagged for 1 trip mainly for the food. As a surprise I booked him with me for this summer at poly cl 7/3-5 then we move to CR cl for 7/5-8. Dd arrives on the 5th (couldn't get off work) he turns 21 6/29 so mainly a treat for him to have both his fav cl's.

Giving them what they want makes a mom so happy and I'm just glad my kids love WDW too lol.

Oh my gosh, sounds like so much fun. I did a trip with just my daughter last year, booked literally the same day we left. It was so much fun. She is upset to not be going on this trip, but hopefully my son and I will have fun and have some new experiences. He is also a foodie.

All those CL stays sound fabulous!

Bringing my post over from another board here on the DIS as a heads up to be aware. Make sure your car is parked:

Last week, I decided to splurge and surprise my family with a Poly stay. We drove up about 10:30 pm. There was a family ahead of us who got out of their car, gave the keys to the valet, and went inside. We sat and waited about 20 minutes and no one from either bell services or the valet came to see if we needed help. Finally, my daughter got out of the car and began unloading luggage. I had to go to the bell service desk and ask for help. There were 5 cast members standing around talking. The bell service guy loaded our luggage and I gave him the keys to my car. He said to leave it running. We went to our room. After the kids settled about an 1.5 hours later, my daughter and her wife went to walk around the resort. They walked back to the main entrance where they saw my car was still running, had the windows down, and the keys were on the console! It had been storming. Thank goodness, the interior of my car did not get water. She spoke to the valet who ranted and said no one told him the car needed to be parked. Then, he made the comment that valet cast members had lost 4 sets of keys during the past week!
DD and DIL came back to the room and told me what had happened. When we woke up, I went to check out after barely sleeping and happily, the cast member gave me zero problems. We went to the MK. While at the Crystal Palace, a manager, Tony, called. He was very professional and apologized profusely. He offered incentives for us to return. I told him that I really appreciated his offers but I just would not feel comfortable at the Poly after our experience. Anyone could have walked up and driven away in my car.

BTW, the monorail access at the resorts is nice but with all of the people visiting for meals, long waits are not unusual. It really is not all that it is cracked up to be. I definitely would not let this be the deciding factor on a resort stay. If you plan to spend a lot of time at the MK, book either the CR or BLT. It's an easy walk from these to the MK. ( This was in response to the OP.)

We are staying at the Poly in July to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We thought briefly about having a vow renewal through Disney’s Weddings on the Poly Beach. We decided against it for two reasons, first, the minimum cost for something small, 4 people total, is $3,500, which for us is a lot after spending $12,000 for our vacation. Second, we really want something more private and intimate within our family without onlookers and an officiant. We thought about gathering the 4 of us on the beach and exchanging vows on our own, but I read somewhere that it would be prohibited. I do not want to break rules or make waves. So I’m thinking about doing it in our room or on the patio.

We already have reservations for two at Narcoossees. I will be wearing a long chiffon dress, and my husband will probably be wearing a dress shirt, slacks, and a tie. I realize that we might stand out since even though Narcoossees is an expensive signature restaurant, people still show up in shorts and t-shirts from the parks. We would go to Victoria an Alberts which is more formal, but we prefer the food and gorgeous views at Narcoossees.

I would love some feedback about my plans. If anyone can help me with ideas of what the Polynesian might offer as far as an Anniversary celebration, I would appreciate it.

Also, does anyone know how far a walk it is from the monorail stop at Grand Floridian to Narcoosees? Would it be closer to take the boat?
What about scheduling to have some pictures taken by Disney Fine Art Photography? They have 2 types of sessions, a mini portrait session that is 20 minutes and an enhanced portrait session for 1 hour (with lighting and edits). My family did the second one last year at Wilderness Lodge and just scheduled it again for our stay at the Poly in December. I think it will become a tradition for us. But if you timed it right with a shoot around sunset, you could get some really beautiful photos and commemorate your 25th Anniversary.

Bringing my post over from another board here on the DIS as a heads up to be aware. Make sure your car is parked:

Last week, I decided to splurge and surprise my family with a Poly stay. We drove up about 10:30 pm. There was a family ahead of us who got out of their car, gave the keys to the valet, and went inside. We sat and waited about 20 minutes and no one from either bell services or the valet came to see if we needed help. Finally, my daughter got out of the car and began unloading luggage. I had to go to the bell service desk and ask for help. There were 5 cast members standing around talking. The bell service guy loaded our luggage and I gave him the keys to my car. He said to leave it running. We went to our room. After the kids settled about an 1.5 hours later, my daughter and her wife went to walk around the resort. They walked back to the main entrance where they saw my car was still running, had the windows down, and the keys were on the console! It had been storming. Thank goodness, the interior of my car did not get water. She spoke to the valet who ranted and said no one told him the car needed to be parked. Then, he made the comment that valet cast members had lost 4 sets of keys during the past week!
DD and DIL came back to the room and told me what had happened. When we woke up, I went to check out after barely sleeping and happily, the cast member gave me zero problems. We went to the MK. While at the Crystal Palace, a manager, Tony, called. He was very professional and apologized profusely. He offered incentives for us to return. I told him that I really appreciated his offers but I just would not feel comfortable at the Poly after our experience. Anyone could have walked up and driven away in my car.

BTW, the monorail access at the resorts is nice but with all of the people visiting for meals, long waits are not unusual. It really is not all that it is cracked up to be. I definitely would not let this be the deciding factor on a resort stay. If you plan to spend a lot of time at the MK, book either the CR or BLT. It's an easy walk from these to the MK. ( This was in response to the OP.)

Thanks for the heads up but I will just park my own car and keep my own keys.

What about scheduling to have some pictures taken by Disney Fine Art Photography? They have 2 types of sessions, a mini portrait session that is 20 minutes and an enhanced portrait session for 1 hour (with lighting and edits). My family did the second one last year at Wilderness Lodge and just scheduled it again for our stay at the Poly in December. I think it will become a tradition for us. But if you timed it right with a shoot around sunset, you could get some really beautiful photos and commemorate your 25th Anniversary.
That’s a great idea.

Yeah I think when I asked the CM about it she said it wasn't that popular - that's probably because nobody could find it!
Also, they didn't take Magic Band for payment and a lot of people just out and about around the resort, going to the pool, etc might not have had cash on them.

Does anyone have experiences requesting a microwave in a regular guest room, is this even still an option? DS will be 7 months old, and we’ll need a way to warm water for his bottles. I’ve thought about buying a bottle warmer, but we’d only need it for this trip, so if there is a free solution available, that’d be preferable.

I just asked a CM from reservations and was told that the only places for microwaves are in the suites and at the Counter Service locations. With that being said, I know in the past you could request one for your room at time of making your resort reservations. In 2015 when we stayed at the GF, we didn't request a microwave but there was on in the room. So, the best answer I have is to call quest services and request one and see what they tell you.

I just asked a CM from reservations and was told that the only places for microwaves are in the suites and at the Counter Service locations. With that being said, I know in the past you could request one for your room at time of making your resort reservations. In 2015 when we stayed at the GF, we didn't request a microwave but there was on in the room. So, the best answer I have is to call quest services and request one and see what they tell you.

You got some incorrect information. There are microwaves in the Suites, the Studio Villas and the Bungalows.

You got some incorrect information. There are microwaves in the Suites, the Studio Villas and the Bungalows.
Did I not say that microwaves are in the suites??? The only suites available at the Polynesian Village are DVC so therefore that would include Studio Villas and Bungalows.

Last edited:
You did which is wrong.

I am confused.... but I think this is because on the original post I said "only".

On the second post I didn't say "only" and said "that microwaves are in the suites" which is correct...there are microwaves in the suites. I agree that I forget that there are Club Level 1-br Suites that aren't DVC.

I am confused.... but I think this is because on the original post I said "only".

Correct. I was just pointing out that the CM gave you incorrect information by saying microwaves are only available in the Suites.

And my mistake, my mind added the word only to your 2nd post.

Correct. I was just pointing out that the CM gave you incorrect information by saying microwaves are only available in the Suites.

And my mistake, my mind added the word only to your 2nd post.
Thank you for the correction as I never want to post incorrect information......incorrect opinions are something different..........Thank you

Wow that bell service guy was a turd! I would have been livid because you are absolutely right that anything could have happened to your vehicle!

Thanks for the heads up about the monorail as well. I plan on using the boat as much as possible (just because I like boat rides) so hopefully I won’t run in to too much monorail congestion.

And also, your avatar made me laugh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter