Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

I've checked other places and the first post but I want to be 100% sure on these so my expectations are in check:

1. When we arrive via DME, will we be taken directly to Bay Lake Tower to check in?

2. At BLT, do they have their own Bell Services desk where I can retrieve my Owners Locker?

3. When using the buses is it quicker to walk outside directly to the buses at Contemporary or should we use the skybridge over to the Contemporary?

I was able to grab a last minute reservation for Atrium CL Sept 30 - Oct 4. I have never stayed at this resort before and am excited for our new adventure. Have stayed CL at AKL and GF (a few times at both) and am looking forward to checking out a "new" place. I have been binge reading this thread trying to absorb as much info as I can. Thanks for all the advice!

@Lovinallthingsdisney, you're going to love the lounge and view. I'll add your dates to our log.

Last minute change and we are now going to be in a Garden View room here instead of Art of Animation. It is going to be our first resort loop stay and we leave in 15 days :eek: Any help, tips or tricks beyond the first few pages (which I have read) would be very much appreciated. Also I am using touring plans is there any rooms on an upper floor which I could/should request to maybe have a chance of seeing fireworks? Thank you for any help :goodvibes

Congratulations on your nice upgrade, @vallygirl0221. Since the top floor in the Garden Wing is the third and there aren't any balconies, you can't really see the fireworks with BLT and the CR Tower in the way.

I 'think' you do, although not 100% sure about that.

You are correct!

Some random pics from my Labor Day CR trip....

Feature pool current hours (accurate as of 9/3)....
View attachment 267529

A beautiful evening on the shores of Bay Lake....
View attachment 267531

Always so pretty....
View attachment 267532

New water bottle cases/pricing in the gift shop. $3.99 for an 8-pack.
View attachment 267533

View attachment 267534

We rented one of those sea racer things this trip. It was so much fun!
View attachment 267535

View attachment 267536

This was the first day of our trip. Hopefully fixing this thing, as it has never fully worked in my CR history....
View attachment 267537

This was the status by our last night. Probably open by now I suspect....
View attachment 267530

Thank you so much, @GADisneyDad14 for taking more photos! I'm going to add some of them to the first page:)

We'll be at the Contemporary for the second time this December 14-17. We're doing Tower TPV again. Can't wait! Time to refresh my memory & read through all the tips & info in this thread. It helped a lot last time we were there!

We arrive on Sunday still. Is anyone there now? How did the resort hold up through Irma any first hand reports about CR?

Well I just booked our stay Dec 25th - Jan 1st next year! This is a surprise trip for hubby and our son, my sis will be going with us, her daughter turns 10 while we are there and our kids are 5 weeks apart, when our son turned 6 we were at Disney World, and now its my nieces turn to have a Bday when we are there. I booked a Theme park view room with the Deluxe Dining, I figure I have 15 months to pay for it lol why not go all out. I also have 15 months to read everything about CR!!! Fun times!

Well I just booked our stay Dec 25th - Jan 1st next year! This is a surprise trip for hubby and our son, my sis will be going with us, her daughter turns 10 while we are there and our kids are 5 weeks apart, when our son turned 6 we were at Disney World, and now its my nieces turn to have a Bday when we are there. I booked a Theme park view room with the Deluxe Dining, I figure I have 15 months to pay for it lol why not go all out. I also have 15 months to read everything about CR!!! Fun times!

Just also remember to read up on Christmas at Walt Disney World. It's a much different animal than the rest of the year, by far! There's a reason why crowd calendars go to 11. Christmas is why. I love that time of year, but woo, make sure you pack in some patience when you go!

At least on the days you are leaving MK after the fireworks, you don't have to wait an hour for a bus to get back to the resort. You will still have to fight a sea of people getting out of MK.

Hi all, first time posting though I have come across and read some very helpful information along the way on these forums. We are staying at the Contemporary in a Bay Lake view room in late March 2018. I've never stayed at the Contemporary before and am just now in my initial searches for info, but have not seen much specific to viewing fireworks from this resort (and if it is here and I missed it, my apologies). I'm just wondering if wherever the best view from the resort is can compare to actually being at the parks for viewing them. I've never actually managed to see them in all my visits over the years, and neither have my children yet (they've only been once before). My wife has, but not since she was a child herself. It's not a make or break type thing, but I am thinking that this time around I would like to try it. Just wondering if I'm better off avoiding crowds by staying near the resort which reportedly has good views, or whether it's better to go "all in" and find viewing somewhere in MK. Any insight and advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi all, first time posting though I have come across and read some very helpful information along the way on these forums. We are staying at the Contemporary in a Bay Lake view room in late March 2018. I've never stayed at the Contemporary before and am just now in my initial searches for info, but have not seen much specific to viewing fireworks from this resort (and if it is here and I missed it, my apologies). I'm just wondering if wherever the best view from the resort is can compare to actually being at the parks for viewing them. I've never actually managed to see them in all my visits over the years, and neither have my children yet (they've only been once before). My wife has, but not since she was a child herself. It's not a make or break type thing, but I am thinking that this time around I would like to try it. Just wondering if I'm better off avoiding crowds by staying near the resort which reportedly has good views, or whether it's better to go "all in" and find viewing somewhere in MK. Any insight and advice is greatly appreciated!
The new nighttime show is very projection-based, so you really need to be in the park, front and center, to appreciate it. There is really nowhere outside the park that compares. However, once you've seen it inside the park, the monorail resorts offer many lovely, non-crowded, viewing locations to relax and enjoy the show. But I would definitely recommend seeing it in the park for the first time. Have a great trip!!

Thanks so much for the insight, Cluelyss! I really appreciate it. I had started to wonder if that may be the case after reading about the projections on the castle and what-not. Will probably plan to do that, assuming our youngest cooperates and can stay awake long enough. I've been looking at visuals online that seem to rank the better viewing locations, so I guess I'll try to make an informed decision after studying those more. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the insight, Cluelyss! I really appreciate it. I had started to wonder if that may be the case after reading about the projections on the castle and what-not. Will probably plan to do that, assuming our youngest cooperates and can stay awake long enough. I've been looking at visuals online that seem to rank the better viewing locations, so I guess I'll try to make an informed decision after studying those more. Thanks again!

I agree with everything @Cluelyss said above, spot on. However, I'd add that in addition to the projections, HEA is still a really, really good fireworks show. The out-of-park viewing experience from places like CR, Poly, GF, etc is still a very good show, arguably better than Wishes.

If your kids don't cooperate with your plans of being in the park, watching from CR as a back-up plan is still a good choice, in my humble opinion.

Since you have a Bay Lake view, your options to watch the fireworks include the 4th Floor Observation Deck (which is sometimes used for events, just FYI) or sometimes people will go out on the emergency exit staircase to watch from there.

Pics don't do it justice but here are some views from a few weeks ago. Have fun!

2.JPG 3.JPG 1.JPG

Hello all!

I'm looking for some input on how hard it actually is to get in to the Cali Grill Lounge (the area that doesn't require reservations). My birthday is on Saturday and I'm realizing (*quite late in the game*) that what I'd really really like to do for my birthday is head up there for some drinks and dessert and watch the fireworks. There are of course no reservations to be found on such short notice, so I'm wondering what our chances would be of getting in to the lounge. We'd just be 3 people, looking to get in around 7 and just mill around til fireworks at 9. In all honesty, what are my chances of making this happen? @lurkyloo any experience here? Previous tips and advice appreciated!

I've checked other places and the first post but I want to be 100% sure on these so my expectations are in check:

1. When we arrive via DME, will we be taken directly to Bay Lake Tower to check in?

2. At BLT, do they have their own Bell Services desk where I can retrieve my Owners Locker?

3. When using the buses is it quicker to walk outside directly to the buses at Contemporary or should we use the skybridge over to the Contemporary?

DME will drop you right at BLT.

I don't know about the Bell Services but maybe some else can chime in or you can ask on the DVC board.

I think walking outside directly is quicker.

Hello all!

I'm looking for some input on how hard it actually is to get in to the Cali Grill Lounge (the area that doesn't require reservations). My birthday is on Saturday and I'm realizing (*quite late in the game*) that what I'd really really like to do for my birthday is head up there for some drinks and dessert and watch the fireworks. There are of course no reservations to be found on such short notice, so I'm wondering what our chances would be of getting in to the lounge. We'd just be 3 people, looking to get in around 7 and just mill around til fireworks at 9. In all honesty, what are my chances of making this happen? @lurkyloo any experience here? Previous tips and advice appreciated!
I don't have any experience with the lounge, but I will say that I have seen many coveted reservations open up very close to the date, like within 24 to 48 hours prior. So I wouldn't give up hope of snagging a reservation just yet! Hope you have a wonderful birthday!!

Thanks so much for that, GADisneyDad14! I truly appreciate the information and insight, and thought the pics were a nice example of what to expect even from farther away. I hope to remain in the park if possible (perhaps a mid-day pool/nap respite back at CR may help in this regard), but if that doesn't work out it is nice to know that there is still a plausible method to enjoy the show. Cheers!

How far is it either in minutes or actual distance to walk from Garden Wing to MK versus staying in the tower? And what do you think the odds would be of getting a 1st floor room if requested?

Yes, I'm still debating this.

Right now we have a theme park view tower room booked and I just keep wondering if it's worth it. I know that answer will vary depending on the person, but after reading about the new fireworks show being more projection based and best viewed from inside the park (at least for the first time), I just don't know that we'll even care about watching from our room. We will have a 10yo who isn't super into fireworks, and two almost 2yos who will probably be asleep most nights.

The main draw to the tower is, well, being in the tower. And having a guaranteed balcony for when the littles go to sleep. But we could switch to lake view for about a $200 savings (doesn't seem worth it to switch), or to GW for $882 savings, which is more significant. Not having to deal with the elevator with a double stroller seems like a big benefit of the GW, too, but I don't want to add on a lot of walking either.

Last edited:
I have stayed in both the tower and the garden wing multiple times.

I don't find the walk time to be noticeably different. When you stay in the tower, you have to wait for the elevator. To me - that is close enough to the time it takes to walk to the garden wing. Now - some of the garden wing rooms are a bit farther away. But - again - to me - it's not a consideration. One of my kids feels as though the difference is almost unbearable. I feel that if I walk 60 miles in a week, that short distance is negligible. If you are going to be running to the Contempo Cafe or the grocery store gift shop (I can't remember the name of it) a lot - that maybe makes the walk a small consideration. But I still say it is a small one. Plus - you can send one person on those runs if you have to.

As far as the cost goes - 3 of the 4 of us feel it is worth it to stay in the tower. On the tower side of the argument it's my daughter who hates the extra walking, me who likes the view and my other daughter who likes everything about the tower. My husband just sees the dollars floating out of the sliding door and would rather stay in the garden wing. To compromise - we stay once in the garden wing for every two or three tower stays. We call it our white trash vacation when we stay in the garden wing.

We only stay facing the park. I don't feel that facing a lake is a big deal. I can do that near my home or on any number of other vacations. Plus - you can get a lake view from the garden wing.

So - not really a definite answer - in part because they are all great places to stay. If I had small kids, I would go tower so that I could easily watch the fireworks when they want to sleep. I feel that staying in the tower facing the park is the ultimate in Disney resort stays. If you can swing it financially, it is worth doing at least once.

I will add that you will be dealing with elevators and the stroller in the garden wing unless you get first floor.

Last edited:
Hello all!

I agree with @Cluelyss. I've gotten way last0minute reservations up there too. Otherwise, I do think that showing up at the check-in desk with a birthday button when you ask about visiting the lounge might help!

We'll be at the Contemporary for the second time this December 14-17. We're doing Tower TPV again. Can't wait! Time to refresh my memory & read through all the tips & info in this thread. It helped a lot last time we were there!

Welcome back and I'll log your dates, @HadesTX.

Happy planning! I'll add your dates to the Log-o-Rail, @Disneyhenry.

Hello all!

@ALegrande, I've checked-in a couple of times downstairs and been successful in being seated at the sushi bar. However, I don't think it was a Saturday night and it was just me and DD. CA Grill gets a lot of locals on the weekend who also like to sit at the bar or sushi area. Saturday night will be a challenge, along with the fact you're a party of 3 and you want to dine at the peak reservation time.

Your best hope is to get to the check-in desk as early as possible, (once you're up there, they won't kick you out) and ask if there is availability at the bar or sushi areas. If it's not too crowded up there, they'll just let you go up and then it's up to you to snag a spot. If one isn't available, there is an area with sofas where you can either wait and/or have a drink while waiting for a chair.

I have stayed in both the tower and the garden wing multiple times.

I don't find the walk time to be noticeably different. When you stay in the tower, you have to wait for the elevator. To me - that is close enough to the time it takes to walk to the garden wing. Now - some of the garden wing rooms are a bit farther away. But - again - to me - it's not a consideration. One of my kids feels as though the difference is almost unbearable. I feel that if I walk 60 miles in a week, that short distance is negligible. If you are going to be running to the Contempo Cafe or the grocery store gift shop (I can't remember the name of it) a lot - that maybe makes the walk a small consideration. But I still say it is a small one. Plus - you can send one person on those runs if you have to.

As far as the cost goes - 3 of the 4 of us feel it is worth it to stay in the tower. On the tower side of the argument it's my daughter who hates the extra walking, me who likes the view and my other daughter who likes everything about the tower. My husband just sees the dollars floating out of the sliding door and would rather stay in the garden wing. To compromise - we stay once in the garden wing for every two or three tower stays. We call it our white trash vacation when we stay in the garden wing.

We only stay facing the park. I don't feel that facing a lake is a big deal. I can do that near my home or on any number of other vacations. Plus - you can get a lake view from the garden wing.

So - not really a definite answer - in part because they are all great places to stay. If I had small kids, I would go tower so that I could easily watch the fireworks when they want to sleep. I feel that staying in the tower facing the park is the ultimate in Disney resort stays. If you can swing it financially, it is worth doing at least once.

I will add that you will be dealing with elevators and the stroller in the garden wing unless you get first floor.

Thank you for the detailed insight! I am leaning toward keeping things the same, because like you said, I would consider the theme park view the ultimate Disney experience. But, with our twins only being 2 at the time, I know they won't remember this trip, so I wonder if we should save it for later. But my older DS being 10 will probably fully appreciate it, even though he's not overly crazy about fireworks. Who knows though, he may feel differently about DISNEY fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter