Disneyland, Sea World and San Diego Zoo

novanic

Earning My Ears
We arrive in LA on 2nd November and depart again on 8th November. We are 2 adults, a 7 year old and an 18 month old.

We ideally would like to go to Disneyland for 2 days and then on to San Diego for Sea World and the Zoo.

Any hints or tips regarding ticket prices, particularly for Disneyland as it's going to cost $588 (£400) to access both parks for 2 days!

Well what I have here you would have to change things up a bit. It's called the Southern California City Pass. Its gets you 1 day at Sea World, 1 day at Universal Studios, and 3 days Disneyland/California Adventure with park hopper. There is an add on for the zoo just under the pictures at the top of the page. Also remember if you still only want to do 2 days at Disneyland then you just wouldnt use the 3rd day that is available on the card, but I would suggest if you want to see and do it all the 3 days would be the best way to accomplish that.

City Pass link; http://www.citypass.com/southern-ca..._content=1465029734&utm_campaign=none&mkwid=e

The prices with the zoo added on are $339 adult, and $294 child ages 3-9

Without the zoo its $306 adult and $269 child ages 3-9

Maybe this will help you, but like I said you would have to change things around and then also add Universal Studios, but it is a price saver and it works great. My wife and I have used this 3 times now. Sea World in November is a quick park as a lot of things are closed as its their off season, at least thats the way it was when we have been their.

This is great to know about. I live in Florida and feel like I'm an expert in the Disney World realm but this California thing is throwing me for a loop. New stuff to learn!

The City Pass is a great deal. If you are planning on using it at the San Diego Zoo, the ONLY WAY to buy a pass with the upgrade is through the City Pass Website. NONE of the parks sell the ticket with the Zoo upgrade.

I work at the Zoo, and we stopped selling the City Pass about 2 years ago. You will want to make sure that there is a hologram on the ticket that has the Zoo logo. If it does not, you can show your City Pass and get a 10% off 1-day tickets (keep in mind this could change at any time without notice).

If you have any specific questions about the Zoo, you can PM me, and I will reply.

It is a great deal. Except that I had planned on upgrading to a 5 day ticket. However, I was just told by guest services at the Grand California that my ticket is "grayed" out foran upgrade. Now it is going to cost me in about $750 for 4 2-day tickets. This is something we didn't budget for. I'm so upset right now. We can all the way from NJ so I don't want to disappoint the kids. I even bout the Citypass directly from their website. Ugh!

2 days at Disneyland is not enough to really see both parks. You'll be able to do most of the major rides in both parks and perhaps a few of the shows but you'll be somewhat rushed and miss a lot of the smaller things. In two parks there are over 85% of the rides, shows and attractions that WDW has in 4 parks. Get a hopper pass to make better use of your limited time. Hopping takes only 5 mins tops from one park to the other.

It is a great deal. Except that I had planned on upgrading to a 5 day ticket. However, I was just told by guest services at the Grand California that my ticket is "grayed" out foran upgrade. Now it is going to cost me in about $750 for 4 2-day tickets. This is something we didn't budget for. I'm so upset right now. We can all the way from NJ so I don't want to disappoint the kids. I even bout the Citypass directly from their website. Ugh!

Once you get there go to guest services at the gates. Sometimes from one person you get a no, then someone else will do it. Depends on their mood for the day I guess. :confused3

I was hoping the two days would be enough. My son won't go on any of the larger rides. I'd better do some more research but he's mainly interested in Carsland!

We were not planning to visit Universal and it seems more cost effective to purchase separately. Honestly wasn't even looking at Seaworld just two days Disneyland and CA and one day SDZ.

According to the City Pass website, the ticket is eligible for upgrade. I've added a day in the past without any problems. Just go to guest services after you've entered the park and they can help you there.

This is directly from the City Pass Website:

Can I add additional days to my Disneyland visit with Southern California CityPASS?
You may upgrade your 3-Day Park Hopper® at Disneyland within 30 days of first use. Speak to a representative at the ticket booths and they will get a manager to approve this. Disneyland will give you a $250 credit for an adult and a $235 credit for youth ages 3-9 towards the upgrade of your choice.
http://support.citypass.com/app/ans...sion/L3RpbWUvMTM3MTE1MDYyNi9zaWQvaVd6OXFGc2w=

Here is something you can try if you haven't already bought the tickets.

Disneyland 2 day passes
www.way.com Click on Activities then type in Disneyland then go to page 2 and find the 2 day park hopper tickets. Adults $202 Children $192 Total $596 They list cheaper tickets for a 2 day park hopper but I believe those are only for certain days. You can contact them to see if your visit is valid for those certain days.

San Diego Zoo
Go to www.sandiegozoo.org and use promo code 14043 Total $104

Sea World
Go to www.seaworld.com and purchase them online since they are $64 each right now Total $192 You might want to make sure that these tickets will be good for a November visit. We used promo code SWCTACOBELL2013 and got a two day visit for $64 but both days have to be used by 9/30/13. I would just call them to make sure about the expiration date on their online sale tickets.

We did Legoland, Disney, Seaworld and Safari Park.

Safari Park we found a good deal on Living Social so maybe sign up for deals from them.

Seaworld we used the Wendys or Taco Bell code. It actually gives you a second day free.

Legoland we bought through a work discount.

We did 2 days (DL and CA). It was NOT enough time. We were running from ride to ride and had no time for pictures or time to site and enjoy the park. consider a third day.

If you have an employer check to see if they have discount offers.

So on the above advice we have the following:

Sat 2nd Nov: Arrive lunchtime, drive to San Diego (stay BW Palms Plus)
Sun 3rd Nov: San Diego Zoo
Mon 4th Nov: Seaworld
Tues 5th Nov: Drive to Anaheim/Disneyland (stay Hojo)
Weds 6th Nov: Disneyland
Thurs 7th Nov: Disneyland
Fri 8th Nov: PM Fly home from LAX

I need to work out the cheapest way of doing SD Zoo, Seaworld and Disney.

Does this look okay?

Also wondering if there is an outlet mall/village anywhere between/near San Diego/Anaheim/LA worth visiting please?

:confused3

There is an outlet mall in Carlsbad. http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=66

I have not been in years, but maybe someone can comment.

Are you flying in and out of LAX? What is your plan on arrival day...Use the carpool lane to SD!

You will want to hit CA on a morning...go there first thing to do radiator springs racers. Your 18 month old may not be able to ride, make sure you do parent swap and check the height requirment before going.

ETA, can you depart SD Monday night so you don't have to deal with driving in the AM, it might get you into the parks earlier Tuesday morning so you can have a full day there. I think Seaworld can be done in one short day, if you don't do every show or nighttime activities. Think the fireworks are better at DL than SW.

yes, flying in and out of LAX. Arrival day, arrive LAX at about 11am, pick up hire car and then drive down to San Diego (thanks for the advice re which car lane to use!).

I originally planned to come back on the Monday evening after Seaworld but thought I would prefer to come back the following morning in case we really like San Diego and it's not all too rushed. I've just been diagnosed with MS and my medication seems to make me exhausted so want to pace ourselves.

What time are DL fireworks usually please?

Your mileage may vary. On August 19th we flew into LA at 11:15 am, and because of slow luggage output we caught the Alamo bus at 12pm. By 12:30pm we were on our way to SD. Yes, I used the Car pool lanes as much as I could. 5 does not have car pool lanes the whole way down to SD from the LA airport.

It took us exactly two hours to reach the 28th street exit, exit 13. Long drive, but not much traffic. We then drove from SW SD at 6:30pm on Wednesday, Agust 21. We ht a lot of traffic once reaching the LA city limits, and pulled into the Sheraton Uiniversal two and three fourth hours later. The last 45 minutes were crazy wall to wall cars and trucks.

On Friday, August 23, we left the Highland and Hollywood garage in Hollywood at 1pm and pulled into the Grand Californian in DLR at 2:30pm. The traffic all the way was heavy, stop and go every so many miles. Yet, on Thursday, August 29, we left the Grand C at 10:15am, and was at the Alamo rental at 11am. No real traffic until 3 or so exits before the airport one.

I always use the car pool lanes when I can. They usually do not have much traffic on them. The only exit I could get off using a car pool exit was for Disneyland. The other exits I could not. I did pick up the other highways I needed from the car pool lanesmost of the time.

Safe travels. My kids are used to 4 lane one way highways. In CA , we saw 5 and 6 and maybe even more lanes each way. Some of the highways were really wide. I don't mind the driving though.

Having seen what LAX airport is like we've lost a bit of confidence re picking up our hire car from there.

Is there a suitable train we can get from LAX to San Diego? we thought we would then hire a car on arrival in San Diego which we would keep until we go to Anaheim and then get a taxi from Anaheim to LAX.

My question is, what is the best way to get from LAX to San Diego without hiring a car? there will be 4 of us plus luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter