Disneyland Railroad needs some love

starlite_

DIS Veteran
Full disclosure I hadn't gone on the full railroad circle since before it closed for renovations when the construction for Galaxy's Edge was going on. We mostly used it to go from Main Street to New Orleans or from Toon Town to Tomorrowland.

This weekend we decided to do a full circle at the end of the night. I'm not sure what I was expecting, I think I was hoping that there would be something new to see on the Dinosaur dioramas, but it was very weird to see the same models I remember from when I was a kid, probably even the same dust tbh haha.

Am I the only one that thinks that at least that section needs updating? With so much new tech available for animatronics and special effects the current dioramas seem outdated and boring imo. I know this is something super small to nitpick, specially since the train is mostly transport but... the other sections of the "trip around the world" were enjoyable and considering how many older rides are getting love and money invested on them like Peter Pan, Big Thunder and Snow White just to mention a few it seems like this one should get some too.

What do you think?

EDIT: I get it haha, everyone loves the diorama. I shall add it to my unpopular opinions :laughing:

Last edited:
They just renovated it a few years ago. It’s much more spruced up than it was before the refurbishment.

The railroad had a major refurb January 2016 to July 2017. Tracks had to be redone over near Galaxy's Edge. Was actually really neat during that time because you could walk over across the tracks to the station at New Orleans. They had a lot of neat information available.

The dinosaurs themselves are formerly part of the 1964 World's Fair so they're historical pieces at this point and a really cool piece of history. If you haven't watched the Behind the Attractions show on D+, I highly recommend it. The one about IASW mentions Primeval World being built for the World's Fair and then relocated back to Disneyland.

The railroad had a major refurb January 2016 to July 2017. Tracks had to be redone over near Galaxy's Edge. Was actually really neat during that time because you could walk over across the tracks to the station at New Orleans. They had a lot of neat information available.

The dinosaurs themselves are formerly part of the 1964 World's Fair so they're historical pieces at this point and a really cool piece of history. If you haven't watched the Behind the Attractions show on D+, I highly recommend it. The one about IASW mentions Primeval World being built for the World's Fair and then relocated back to Disneyland.

The railroad in general was fine, it's just the diorama I found really old looking compared to the rest of the park. Which you know, makes sense since it's almost 60 years old haha.

Maybe I'm just not that much a Disney purist. To give an example of what I mean, I love the updates to the HM like floating Leota and the Hatbox Ghost, it feels like the ride and it keeps the spirit of it while staying up with the times.

Maybe if I manage to see that documentary I'll learn to appreciate the diorama. As is, it looked almost neglected imo tho I'm beginning to see I'm in the minority here, which is fine, happy to see ppl enjoy it.

I’m with the crowd that believes it has held up pretty well over the years. There have been some improvements to the backgrounds and effects, but the AAs themselves still look good to me, even when compared to the current generation of AAs.

Honestly, of the three Castle parks I’ve been to, Disneyland’s has received the most improvements by far. There are so many bare or basic wooded areas at MK and DLP along the railroad tracks. DLRR has so much more to see and experience from our grand circle tour. 👍🏼

I’m with the crowd that believes it has held up pretty well over the years. There have been some improvements to the backgrounds and effects, but the AAs themselves still look good to me, even when compared to the current generation of AAs.

Honestly, of the three Castle parks I’ve been to, Disneyland’s has received the most improvements by far. There are so many bare or basic wooded areas at MK and DLP along the railroad tracks. DLRR has so much more to see and experience from our grand circle tour. 👍🏼

I love the updated lightning bolt they added after the year and a half long refurb! Was such a nice little update that still leaves the spirit of the diorama.

Also the little Easter egg they added to the tracks near the water that you only see if you take the Mark Twain, Columbia, or canoes 👀...

I actually look forward to the dioramas of the railroad the most. Hearing the steam locomotive roll into the darkness and then all of a sudden BAM. Instantly takes me back to the very first time seeing them as a kid and just having my mind completely blown at what I was looking at lol.

I like it, but likely only because I've been visiting for 50 years and I have a fondness for the old stuff. I suppose if I rode it for the first time, I would think it was junky.

I like the RR as far as it's a nice relaxing place to just kind of chill. I wouldn't mind some refurb but I like the cheesy classic kind of vibe.

I'm also a big fan of Space Ship Earth and Carousel of Progress at WDW so the DL Railroad is right in my wheelhouse LOLOLOLOL

Oh and I'm good with unpopular opinions..... I hate Dole Whips, churros and I almost never ride Space Mountain because it's not that great of a ride.....:duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter