Disney Withdrawal..Who else experiences this?

We are currently in our longest stretch between trips and it is driving me nuts. I am trying to figure out how I can fit another visit into our schedule & budget before December. This will be the first time in a few years that we will not be attending MNSSHP. :(

I'm suffering Disney withdrawal big time. I was there last weekend and I have been missing it ever since!! I am getting ready to plan my next trip but that trip won't be until next year!

2 months ago we were packing & getting ready to leave, I'm still sad. This is ridiculous, I'm beginning to wonder if I have some sort of mental condition. I had pix from the vacation printed today, I'll put them in frames. I've made a little "shrine" from all the mementos( i.e. brochures, magic bands, cups etc.) from our trip in my office at home. I'm really beginning to worry about myself......

Definitely plan, plan, plan for the next trip. I also listen to the DIS podcast, watch the DIS videos on YouTube, and try to bring Disney into my everyday life. It's hard getting by between trips!

2 months ago we were packing & getting ready to leave, I'm still sad. This is ridiculous, I'm beginning to wonder if I have some sort of mental condition. I had pix from the vacation printed today, I'll put them in frames. I've made a little "shrine" from all the mementos( i.e. brochures, magic bands, cups etc.) from our trip in my office at home. I'm really beginning to worry about myself......

That all sounds perfectly normal to me! :)

I arrived home from my 12 night trip on February 1. I got Disney withdrawal so bad I was back on a plane on March 1. That only cured me for one week. Now I really do have to wait till next winter.

I feel like the second I drive off the property I am already getting withdrawal. Planning for the next trip always helps ☺️

My trip is 3 weeks from today, but i am already dreading leaving. Planning the next trip is always a huge help. Seeing that it takes a year to properly plan a trip - researching dining options, planning our touring plans. It all helps keep the magic going.

My trip is 3 weeks from today, but i am already dreading leaving. Planning the next trip is always a huge help. Seeing that it takes a year to properly plan a trip - researching dining options, planning our touring plans. It all helps keep the magic going.
So nice to be among like minded individuals. Most people think I'm crazy for taking a year to plan a Disney vacation! I feel rushed if I try to do it in less time. Gotta absorb all info in advance.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have some sort of mental condition. I had pix from the vacation printed today, I'll put them in frames.

One of the best things we did for our trip was to make a photo album. Every so often we will pull it out and relive the trip. i found this better than just pictures/computer backgrounds because we can go through the entire trip. We love love love our pictures from the memory maker. It is expensive but so worth getting the magic shots, ride photos and those family photos that never usually happen.

As far as the mental condition -- you are not alone. I guess vacations in general can have a withdrawal period, but i feel as though the Disney withdrawal is like no other. I too am glad i am not alone. Does it ever get any easier? I went on our first trip 12/31/14 and it has been real tough waiting for my next trip. I have to go down for a conference in a couple of weeks. Granted it will be work, but is it horrible of me to be excited that it will be kid free? I do feel a little bad, but just to be kid free for a few days will feel amazing and then on top of that to be at disney? Does it get any better than that -- oh wait it does -- it will be flower and garden!!!!!

Last edited:
Shorter trips, more often!

My wife and I are Disney World fanatics, but we also love to travel in general. We are on a quest to see as many National Parks as we can, along with a long list of other adventures.
We would go to WDW for a week, then have 2 or 3 other trips planned and it would make us so sad that it would be years before we could get back, so we just started taking 2-3 day trips every year in addition to our other week-long vacation. Sometimes the budgeting gets a little tough, but it's important to us, so we make it work. Now we get to go every year, and going for a short time keeps it fresh for us, since there are obviously things you have to skip on a short trip. We are leaving Saturday and I'm super stoked to go to Epcot and experience the new Soarin because we couldn't make it there on our last trip. We are in the process of buying DVC, to make the budgeting thing easier since our rooms will be be pre-paid, and we will just have to worry about travel, park tix and food. When you go every year, there's always a trip in the planning stages and lots of fun stuff to discuss and plan. You are perpetually in the process of "going to Disney World".

I've been waiting to go back for 3.5 years. Started saving immediately. Now it is looking like we will either be able to go in May, or not at all for another year or more. I'm getting to where I just can't take the up and down anymore.

I had Disney depression SO bad after our January '16 trip! That was our first trip and I seriously spent the better part of a year planning it - reading disboards all day every day, studying park maps, making and changing our itinerary, watching youtube videos of the rides, etc. When we got home, I had a few days where I was still on cloud 9 thinking about our trip - then the depression hit hard! DH said we couldn't go back until Star Wars Land opens - but that would be almost 5 years!! I finally wore him down and he agreed to a January 2018 trip!! I am super excited about that trip - but I'm trying hard to not 'overplan' for it - simply to try to avoid the depression. For me, the depression stemmed from the free time I had. I no longer needed to research, learn, or plan for our trip. I felt displaced because of the free time. So, for our upcoming trip, I am trying very hard to not plan too often. I still have a few months until we can make ADRs so I'm trying to not think about them too much. I'm telling myself to wait until 2 weeks before that to start my itinerary. Fast pass selection is still several months away, so I'm trying to not think much about them. And, sadly, I'm trying to limit my time on disboards. It stinks because I love, love, love the planning - but when I no longer have anything to plan, I get sad, so I'm trying to be proactive and not do too much planning for this trip. We'll see if I can follow through with that as our trip gets closer.

I had Disney depression SO bad after our January '16 trip! That was our first trip and I seriously spent the better part of a year planning it - reading disboards all day every day, studying park maps, making and changing our itinerary, watching youtube videos of the rides, etc. When we got home, I had a few days where I was still on cloud 9 thinking about our trip - then the depression hit hard! DH said we couldn't go back until Star Wars Land opens - but that would be almost 5 years!! I finally wore him down and he agreed to a January 2018 trip!! I am super excited about that trip - but I'm trying hard to not 'overplan' for it - simply to try to avoid the depression. For me, the depression stemmed from the free time I had. I no longer needed to research, learn, or plan for our trip. I felt displaced because of the free time. So, for our upcoming trip, I am trying very hard to not plan too often. I still have a few months until we can make ADRs so I'm trying to not think about them too much. I'm telling myself to wait until 2 weeks before that to start my itinerary. Fast pass selection is still several months away, so I'm trying to not think much about them. And, sadly, I'm trying to limit my time on disboards. It stinks because I love, love, love the planning - but when I no longer have anything to plan, I get sad, so I'm trying to be proactive and not do too much planning for this trip. We'll see if I can follow through with that as our trip gets closer.

I'm SOOOO glad to read this, I too frequent WDW forums, watch you tube videos of parks, resorts & restaurants, & listen to Sorcerer radio. I'm glad I'm not alone, there are other people out there as obsessed & crazy as I am! Seriously if everyone knew how much time I spend obsessing, they might commit me.
It is very tempting to over plan, I suggest you not plan every minute out. It's a vacation after all. Our last trip I only made 3 ADR's and a few FPs. My wife is not as big a Disney freak as I am, so I need to be flexible. It was a more enjoyable WDW trip than we've had in years. Not that we don't always have fun, but this was much more relaxed.

I guess vacations in general can have a withdrawal period, but i feel as though the Disney withdrawal is like no other. I too am glad i am not alone. Does it ever get any easier? [ /QUOTE]

Nope not until we can feed our addiction.

I haven't been in 3 years and I was pregnant last time so I didn't get to do any of the super fun rides. It feels like it's been FOREVER! We went to Universal and Seaworld 2 years ago but it is not even close to the same. It's really the one vacation that I never have the "it's good to be going home" feeling. That's really why I fell in love with the DIS and the podcasts, I get my daily WDW fix without having to live in hot, muggy Florida!

It's also hard, trying to explain to non-fanatics why I want to go back, when I was just there last year. So glad I'm not the only one that feels this way!

I can't believe I'm only just finding this website with all these people who think exactly the same as me! Last time I was at wdw was 2013 and it literally hit me like a train about 3 weeks ago and the urge to go back was just phenomenal!
I was trying to convince my sister to go, she has an 18month old so understandably doesn't feel it's the right time but she wanted to wait 4 years...4 years!!!
So that's when I started googling "Disney solo" and the world of solo travellers appeared before my eyes. 3 weeks down the line and I am all booked up! People look at me like I'm a bit mad and I think they feel sorry for me, I don't! I keep trying to explain why I want to go alone but not sure anyone gets it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter