Disney pulling all content from Netflix, launching own streaming service

So my question...are really that many people going to pay for a Disney only streaming service when those who are big Disney fans will already have access to most of the same movies with their own DVD/BR library or stream thru DMA?

Those people who already have the DVD/BD libraries are past consumers; his is about being positioned for the future consumer, most of which are going all digital.

Time doesn;t stand still, today's parents and kids get older and new parents and kids come along everyday.

In a year or two when much more content is streaming in 4k HDR, that 1 TB is going to get very tight for many people.

H.265 offsets most of the bandwidth jump to 4K. The effect is not going to be as pronounced as you might assume.

H.265 offsets most of the bandwidth jump to 4K. The effect is not going to be as pronounced as you might assume.
h.265 might save about 50% of the bandwidth when compared to h.264 at the same resolution, but 4k quadruples the resolution. So a stream in 4K with HDR data will typically require over double the data usage as the same content streamed at 1080p.

h.265 might save about 50% of the bandwidth when compared to h.264 at the same resolution, but 4k quadruples the resolution. So a stream in 4K with HDR data will typically require over double the data usage as the same content streamed at 1080p.

Sure, but even with the extra overhead of UHD's higher color depth, someone who was living inside Comcast's not-enforced-but-really-yeah-we're-enforcing-it 300MB cap last year will, all things being equal, be comfortably inside the 1TB cap. With H.264, that would not necessarily be the case.

Not going to sub to a Disney only service. That was the whole point of cutting in the first place. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon have an assortment of shows and are producing top notch originals, as well. If the niche channels want to start their own service, good luck to them, but I'm not moving with them.

EXACTLY! I subscribe to Netflix, Sling, etc., because I can get everything I want in 1 or 2 packages. Adding a third is just not going to happen for me. When channels start branching off, that is when I stop having a need to watch that channel. That is why I ditched cable...

By the way, the news today is that Netflix and Disney are negotiating for the Marvel and Star Wars stuff for 2019 onward...guess I was right that part of this speech was a ploy/play to try to get more money out of Netflix...(Edit - it almost seems like a game of chicken:))...

And link...http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/netflix-disney-licensing-marvel-star-wars-2019-1202523725/

I don't know that I would call it a negotiating ploy. They appear intent on creating some sort of Disney-branded streaming option. The uncertainty lies in whether or not Marvel and Lucas properties will be included. If Netflix--or someone else--offers them a sweetheart deal for the relatively small amount of Marvel/Lucas content, they may take it.

Either way, the carrot they'll be dangling in the new OTT service is thousands of hours of content from Disney / Pixar animation, Disney Jr, Disney Channel, etc.

EXACTLY! I subscribe to Netflix, Sling, etc., because I can get everything I want in 1 or 2 packages. Adding a third is just not going to happen for me. When channels start branching off, that is when I stop having a need to watch that channel. That is why I ditched cable...

Disney won't need Netflix-type subscriber numbers for this to be successful. As more and more networks start pulling programming from Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, many people will branch out to another service to maintain access to some preferred content.

Disney is probably getting in the neighborhood of $.25-.35 per subscriber, per month from Netflix. They'll get far more as an independent. It won't take 50 million subs to make this a success.

Letting Netflix keep the Star Wars and marvel content actually puts me off the dedicated Disney one. If they are going to launch the service, I want everything that's available on there

Letting Netflix keep the Star Wars and marvel content actually puts me off the dedicated Disney one. If they are going to launch the service, I want everything that's available on there

This is my opinion too. If they want me to pay $10 or $15 a month for Disney content streaming on demand, it better be ALL of Disney's content. Might as well throw in ABC as well. But it really needs to be everything. Maybe not everything all the time, but everything on a rotating basis. If you are making just the Disney channel content, with more or less current and recent animation movies, it isn't worth the same amount. Not by a long shot.

Personally, I think they could get a lot of subscriptions at the $20 price point if they shoved everything they had at it, including ESPN. The whole back catalogue of movies and shows on a rotating basis, all the Disney channels, everything on Freeform or whatever they call. ESPN including the back catalogue of sports events. ABC. You throw all that at it you'll pull people looking for combinations since you'll have the adult content, the kids content, the sports content, the nostalgia content, and the mostly worthless broadcast content. That's a lot of content. Probably enough to get enough families with kids and sports dads to pay the piper.

Will it replace the money they make today from cable? Not a prayer. But it will make more than trying to do it piece meal, charging $5 to $10 for each piece, and getting low numbers for all of it. You need mass. You need people to overlook it and say there is something there for everyone in the family. Not just to say you are throwing $10 away for dad, and $10 for the kids, and $5 for the broadcast crap.

In other words, you need to cable bundle it, but cut out the cable middleman and hope he doesn't get too much revenge when our current idiots do away with net neutrality.

Just because a show is on ABC. It doesn't mean that Disney owns it.
Agreed but you got the point. Throw in all of it you can and charge $20. There is enough content, and enough variation, to make that your only stream for the people that don't want to pay much but want content. That's what Netflix has done, and Disney can one up them with the sports. Not perfect, but I think it's their best bet.

Agreed but you got the point. Throw in all of it you can and charge $20. There is enough content, and enough variation, to make that your only stream for the people that don't want to pay much but want content. That's what Netflix has done, and Disney can one up them with the sports. Not perfect, but I think it's their best bet.

They get over $12.05 per cable subscriber right now for the tv stuff plus the $200M from Netflix without lifting much of a finger...now they'll have to run all the infrastructure, sales, marketing, tech support for "their" service plus make as much as they are losing...NO WAY can they only charge $20/person for all that content and come close to anything they are making now...And this is their enormous problem...it feels like when radio started losing out to tv all over again...

https://qz.com/1050490/disneys-dis-...lion-it-makes-from-espn-and-other-cable-fees/

They get over $12.05 per cable subscriber right now for the tv stuff plus the $200M from Netflix without lifting much of a finger...now they'll have to run all the infrastructure, sales, marketing, tech support for "their" service plus make as much as they are losing...NO WAY can they only charge $20/person for all that content and come close to anything they are making now...And this is their enormous problem...it feels like when radio started losing out to tv all over again...

https://qz.com/1050490/disneys-dis-...lion-it-makes-from-espn-and-other-cable-fees/

Nothing is going to replace the millions of subscribers who are forced into ESPN and the Disney channel through cable bundles. It can't be done. My thoughts are how to get as much as possible as that revenue stream dries up. It is all at risk. How much they can recapture, and the best way to do it, is the point of my post.

Disney doesn't appear to be as dumb as I thought...

...they know that disney for fee or espn for fee is likely to fail...so why not test the waters and see if somebody else will pay you?

I'll just stop paying for cable. So, I'll have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Disney ($40 bucks a month?) and all the content I want. Saving money for sure.

I'll just stop paying for cable. So, I'll have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Disney ($40 bucks a month?) and all the content I want. Saving money for sure.

Those prices are set in stone, huh? They won't go up to $100 a month in a few years?

...if so...sign me up

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!