Disney Magic Inaugural Sailing Norwegian Fjords

DisneyHelen

Mouseketeer
We are just back from the Inaugural Norwegian Fjords Sailing after booking it the first week it was announced. This is my fifth cruise and we were super excited. We are from Newfoundland, Canada so this trip we came through Icelandair. We enjoyed a two day stopover in Reykjavik. One of the highlights was a trip to the Blue Lagoon. We had time to adjust and get over jetlag and arrived in Copenhagen after a short flight from Iceland. I enjoyed flying by Icelandair. We did the pre-cruise ABD and were met at the airport and taken to Tivoli hotel. We are three adults myself, DD and DH. We had 2 connecting rooms which was great as they are very small. My daughter and I went to the Disney store on the Stroget. It was about a 40 minute walk. We were immediately amazed by all the bicycles going by us on the streets. We had a reception in the evening and dinner at the hotel. It was very nice. I am very happy to be in Copenhagen and ready for the cruise.

Looking forward to your trip report! I agree about the bicycles in Copenhagen! What a sight!

PRE CRUISE ABD

We had buffet breakfast at the Tivoli Hotel. We then had a walking tour from the hotel to the harbour front. We passed by Christiansborg palace. Next up was a canal cruise. This was really nice and had lots of views. We had lunch at restaurant Ofelia. We enjoyed the food, but many other travellers did not enjoy the pickled herring. We went to Tivoli gardens around 2pm and we had tour of pantomine theatre with Sven. We all went on the Hans Christian Anderson ride, the Flying Trunk. My DD and I went on the wooden rollercoaster and the ferris wheel. It is nice to just walk around and enjoy the park. We had fish and chips takeout for supper and stayed for the pantomine show. Back at the hotel there was security for a special event at the convention centre, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of women's voting. We saw the Danish Royal family and the Prime Minister.

145.jpg73.jpg342.jpg195.jpg

Last edited:
PRE CRUISE ABD DAY 2

We went on a bus tour and the first stop was Roskilde. We went to Viking ship museum. My family is from Newfoundland, Canada. The vikings came to the northern tip of Newfoundland. I was very excited to see the boats and it was a very scenic spot. We had a nice time here and also had lunch viking style. It was a cod appetizer, meat and salad and a berry cobbler with ice cream for dessert. We drove to Frederiksborg castle and walked outside. Then we went to Kronborg castle. We had a tour of the great hall. We could see Sweden in the distance. Once back in Copenhagen we had our farewell dinner at the Carlsberg Brewery. Our evening finished with a wonderful dinner and beer tasting!

463.jpg505.jpg559.jpg436.jpg

Last edited:

DSC09750_resized.jpg DSC09760_resized.jpg DSC09766_resized.jpg DSC09790_resized.jpg

June 6 All Aboard

We had breakfast at the Tivoli hotel. Overall, the hotel was very busy. DD and I walked to Anderson bakerk, which is close by for a snack and bought chocolate croissants. We had our own ABD bus to the ship. We stopped at the little mermaid statue on the way. It was very crowded so we just stopped there for photos. We got to the cruise ship terminal, and the check in line was short and boarded. We boarded on deck 1 so no family name introductions, which I missed. We really wanted Palo Brunch so i got in the line at Lumieres. DD got tickets for Anna and Elsa photos. I took about 30 minutes but I got brunch for the next day. Then we always have lunch deck 9. We found it was much easier with the changes made at Cabanas, as the lineups were almost all eliminated. Then the rooms were ready. DD ordered the frozen decorations and they were really nice. The blanket was very useful as this cruise had cool days. We then went to the pool for a dip. The water was warm and the hot tub was nice. I was not sure how many pool days we would have but we actually went three times over the week. I missed our disgroup meet but I love my pool time. We had a Verandah and the views were nice. We watched sailaway with mickey. We had early dinner in Cariocas. I had lobster croquettes, Halibut and dessert. The seafood was great on this cruise. We went to show All aboard and then O'Gills pub. We never went to this space much before we thought it was better redesigned. DH loved it here. They had irish music most nights.

DSC09772_resized.jpg DSC09773_resized.jpg DSC09777_resized.jpg DSC09783_resized.jpg DSC09796_resized.jpg

Day 2 Sea Day

We had coffee and croissants in the room. DD went for a manicure in the spa. We went for photos with Anna, Elsa and Olaf. It was well organized and went quickly. We went to the gift shop and got our 4 Norway pins for our stateroom. They did not sell out later in the week. We had brunch in Palo. I had the grape and gorgonzola pizza. It was excellent. They had chocolate strawberries as well. We did mixology in the afternoon, which was organized by the facebook group. The drinks were good. The session is very different from Disney Wonder as 3 people got to make the B52 shot at the end. We went to hear Geir Ness talk about his perfume Laila of Norway. I bought the perfume and body lotion. We had photos done and had dinner in Tritons. I had salmon and the grand marnier souffle. The show was Twice Charmed tonight.

Day3 Stavanger Pulpit Rock

We had breakfast in Cabanas and met for our excursion to Pulpit Rock. We have done hikes home with rock walking and brought our walking sticks with us. We went with the DCL excursion. We got a bus to the short ferry ride and to the starting point. We wasted 10 minutes getting our lunches. For this hike you need as much time as possible. We were given 2 hours to go up, 30 minutes at the top and 2 hours back. I took longer going up the steep incline. I took 2 hours and 10 minutes. The rock was quite cool so 15 minutes was enough at the top. I was glad we did see the couple who got engaged on pulpit rock. Everyone cheered for them. The view was amazing. This was a highlight of my trip. All the ports in Norway had amazing views! The excursion took all day so we didn't see much of Stavanger. We had a rest after we returned. I had a manicure which was restful. We went to Palo for dinner. The ocean was calm. I had antipasta, sea scallops and chocolate souffle.

DSC09820_resized.jpg DSC09831_resized.jpg DSC09836_resized.jpgDSC09838_resized.jpg

Day 4 Alesund

We had breakfast in Cabanas. We had no excursion but thought we would do the little train to Mount Alska. We didn't want to do much walking. I had wanted to do the path of the trolls but was outvoted by the family. We got off and had no problem getting tickets for the train. It is a 70 minute tour with a stop at mount Alska. The weather was cool. I was glad we had warm jackets. The views are amazing with the mountains in the background. After our tour we walked around and went to cafe Invit for free internet. The latte was good too. We went in a small mall and got some wine and norwegian candy. DH got fish and chips from outdoor stall. We went back on the ship. DD and I went in the hot tub to get warm. We delivered our FE gifts and then had wine and cheese on our Verandah. We had supper in Cariocas. I had Turkey and Tiramisu. We went to talk about the Vikings. The show was Villians tonight. We ended with a drink in O'Gills.DSC09856_resized.jpgDSC09862_resized.jpgDSC09863_resized.jpgDSC09868_resized.jpg

Day 5 Geiranger

We got up early to watch the sail in to Geiranger. It is beautiful, we liked watching from our Verandah. We got coffee in the room and then went to Cabanas for breakfast. We wanted to do two excursions but DCL will not let you do this without a large time gap. We decided to do RIB boat on our own and it was so easy. I booked on line and only took two minutes to pick up tickets in the tourist office. We went in the shop and picked out norwegian sweaters for me and DH. Then we went on the RIB boat. We had to put on survival suits. They were very cosy and warm. We also needed goggles. I loved the RIB boat to my surprise as I did not like the seadoo ride we did on Castaway Cay. We got close to the waterfalls and it was amazing. We came back and bought our Norwegian sweaters. DD went to the chocolate store. We got back on the ship for a snack and then Herdalsettra mountain farm DCL excursion. We went up the Eagle road, through a pass and to Nordal area. The farm was lovely to see goats and how they made cheese. We bought brown cheese caramels. It was raining slightly on the way back but we stopped at the viewpoint for photos. We saw the seven sisters from our Verandah on the way out. We had supper in Lumieres. I had Lobster tail and creme brulee. We went to the piano bar and a special dance show by Evolution. An amazing day!
DSC09909_resized.jpg DSC09910_resized.jpg DSC09912_resized.jpg DSC09922_resized.jpg DSC09926_resized.jpg

Day 6 Bergen

We took DCL tour Bergen and Mount Floien. We had breakfast in Cabanas. The tour was in the am and took us on a hour long drive around Bergen. The downtown was interesting but could not figure out why we driving the suburbs. (The tour description was a short bus ride.) Then we went to the funicular. We had a short wait and it was nice at the top. However 30 minutes at the top became only 7 minutes! I guess at least we went up. Then we went to the Bryggen area which was nice. We left the tour at that point and looked around on our own. DD bought a Norwegian sweater. The Dale of Norway sweaters were the same price as the store in Gerainger. We went to the fish market. Dh had cod and I had a shrimp skewer. We looked around and bought Norwegian candy and pastries. After 4 days of ports we were getting tired and went back on the ship. I thought that the tour description was inaccurate and better to DIY in this port. The funicular does seem to be very busy. Back on the boat we had coffee and went for a swim. We had supper in animators palate and enjoyed seeing our figures come to life. We went to see show Walt Disney The dream goes on. We went to Freezing the Night away. I prefer the Pirate show. DD thought the snow effect was not so good because even at 10pm it was still light out.

DSC09990_resized.jpg DSC09991_resized.jpg DSC00003_resized.jpg DSC00019_resized.jpg DSC00024_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Day 7 Sea day

This was a beautiful day. We walked around deck 4 for 1 mile in the morning. DD and I went to the scrapbooking session. DH went to see Tomorrowland today while DD and I went to see Cinderella. The Frozen short also played and was funny. We went in the pool and there was lots of people out today. I also spent time on the balcony. We had our supper in Cariocas. I took pictures of my food shrimp with pasta and baked Alaska. The food was really good this cruise. We went to O'Gills and Disney Dreams show. The frozen parts were good. A great last day on the ship.

DSC00033_resized.jpg DSC00035_resized.jpg DSC00038_resized.jpg DSC00043_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Day 8 Disembarkation

We had early breakfast in Cariocas. Everyone got to leave the ship at the same time. There was no customs. After we found our luggage we got a taxi to the Marriott Hotel. There was no problem with getting a taxi for three people. We spent our last day going back to Nyhaven, Stroget and Rosenborg castle. The Danish crown jewels are on display in the lower part of the castle. We left Copenhagen the following day. Overall we loved this cruise and would love to come back again. All the ports were amazing. Our excursions DCL Pulpit rock hike, DCL Herdalsettra mountain farm, RIB boat with Gerainger fjordservice and Little Train Alesund were great. I would not recommend Bergen and mount Floien.
I am hoping to do a cruise from Dover next time.

Thanks for the review. We were on the 6/20 sailing and successfully did Pulpit Rock on our own. It looks like we had nicer and warmer weather too, but your trip looks great!

Great review! I am also from Newfoundland.We are doing the 12-night Norway/Iceland cruise next year. The viking ship museum looks like something that will be on our to-do list.

Remembering my Norwegian Fjords cruise.It was amazing and I am very glad I went to Gerainger as the ports are changing next year. I am looking forward to 7 day British Isles cruise next year.

We did this cruise in 2016, but we had rain most of the day in Stavanger, so no Pulpit Rock hike. But we did enjoy walking around the town and we found a lovely little bakery with great coffee and macaroons. We had sun all day in Alesund where we hiked up to the restaurant above the city and for most of the day in Geiranger where we took the bus up the mountain. Bergen we did on our own and it poured in the afternoon. Overall, great cruise, but I recommend that you also do the Northern Europe one. We went on it in 2017 and there is so much to see that we are repeating it this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter