Disney Legend Marty Sklar has passed away

Just saw this, so very sad. He was truly a Disney legend. His book 'Dream It, Do It....' is one of my favorite 'Disney' books. Loved hearing him speak about his time with Walt as well.

Was saddened to hear this as well. We were fortunate to have met and talked to Marty several times over the years and he was always interesting and gracious. He did so much to bring Magic to us. Thanks Marty.

Shocked and saddened by the news. Literally yesterday, I was thinking about this wonderful video the DIS posted a few years ago from D23 (2013, I believe). I had been thinking about how great it was that Marty Sklar and Bob Gurr were still able to participate in D23 this year.

Never had the pleasure of meeting the man, or hearing him speak in person, but I know what a giant piece of the fabric of Disney he was. I hope his friends and family find comfort in their loving memories in the very near future.

Sad news indeed. Marty had been the face and voice of Disney Imagineering for as long as I've been alive. In retrospect I couldn't be happier that we chose to make out last panel at D23 the Legends of Imagineering panel because we got one last dose of that thoughtful, dedicated well spoken man.

Ugh. this feels so sudden after getting to see the footage of him at D23. Between this and the news of June Foray passing... wow, this has been a crap week.

View attachment 256757 Maybe the most famous construction photo of him standing where the castle is

This picture is one of my favorites - I remember watching all of the TV specials about Disney World when I was little (and dreaming about someday getting to see it all) and always thinking that this picture was the coolest thing in the world. I was lucky enough to get to hear Marty give a lecture and meet him afterwards for a book signing. It was so special getting to hear his stories about working with Walt - he was the living connection to Walt for those of us who were not lucky enough to be alive when he was. He will certainly be missed.

Read the news on Twitter as I sat at the end of a perfect day at DCA last week. Was pretty surreal to find out about Marty while IN a Disney park. Looked around and just soaked in the moment, feeling immensely grateful for his vision and leadership.

Read the news on Twitter as I sat at the end of a perfect day at DCA last week. Was pretty surreal to find out about Marty while IN a Disney park. Looked around and just soaked in the moment, feeling immensely grateful for his vision and leadership.
Oh - forgot you were going to the Mother Ship! :) Hope you had a magical time - don't know if you do trip report, but if you decide to, I'd love to read it, if you could let me know! Did you get to meet any of the Left Coast Team (or maybe even Ryno, while he was still there after D23?)

For those interested, the DIS Disneyland Team did a show that focused on Marty this past Sunday:

http://www.disunplugged.com/2017/07/30/dis-unplugged-073017-disneyland-show/

Unsurprisingly Micheal did a great job recounting Marty's career, legacy, and impact. The team also shared some stories and I thought Nancy had a really good story of a Disneyland dinner event he was at and told a story of one time he left his office door open and a guest just walked in and they wound up chatting and he learned he should always keep his door open as he got better feedback from that exchange than any formal panel or anything

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter