Disney In Talks to Acquire Majority of 21st Century Fox

I'm not sure which area you are talking about in referring to re-theme .... I said they could retheme the Super Hero area easily, it's a pretty cheap and cheezy, the land that falls quite short of the other IOA lands.

And if you are saying Superhero land is next best to Harry Potter - they aren't even in the same universe. Superhero land is nothing more than Six Flags at best. Every time I walk in I am distracted by how bad it is.

No, sorry, talking Simpsons. Honestly I don't know cause I have never been there, but I have heard it's great. Maybe it wouldn't be bad to retheme, guess I just figured it would be a pain.

No, sorry, talking Simpsons. Honestly I don't know cause I have never been there, but I have heard it's great. Maybe it wouldn't be bad to retheme, guess I just figured it would be a pain.

Okay you haven't been. The Simpson's Ride is an overlay of Back to the Future with big garish decor outside. But hey, it's a cartoon so it's fine. The walkway in front of it is nothing special, shops, eats, drinks all with the cartoon theme of fairly basic square box buildings. It's fun, the beer is fun, the giant donuts are awesome, the replica of the Moe's Tavern is well done as a copy .......... LOTS of icons to stand next to and take your pictures. But nothing about it is truly creative or not easily painted over and made into something else.

If you get to go, once you go in the two HP lands ............ which even if you know nothing about HP (me) ....... you will be BLOWN AWAY ... there is no comparison to Simpson land.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I wonder how this deal will impact employee benefits. I know right now they get some great deals. Free park passes, 1/2 off hotel, etc.

I don’t see Disney being able to maintain those deals for so many employees. What are others thoughts?

I know Disney has acquired a lot of IP under this deal but don't be surprised if Disney then go and sell bits of it off. I can't see what interest Disney will have in anything Seth McFarlane related like Family guy

There’s absolutely no reason for them to sell it. A side benefit of this purchase is that they now have another umbrella under which to place stuff that doesn’t fit the Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Lucas world. Using 21st Century as another marque has a lot of benefits for a company that sees its future as being a better Netflix.

No backlot. That is probably the difference between the low 50B price and the 60B that was tossed around.

My guess is Hulu becomes the outlet for the inherited more adult content, Disney's branded streaming service will cover the more "Disney" properties. Iger came out this a.m. and said Hulu will not become the Disney streaming service, so I'm guessing a content split where Disney can hide a connection with the more adult content will still owning a majority of the system they stream on will be appealing. A huge amount of this deal is predicated on Fox's regional sports channels. If they can't stem the issues at ESPN, Disney has probably overpaid.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney don’t walk away from Hulu. It’s likely that Hulu will be a point of contention when the purchase is reviewed by regulators. Disney will hold a controlling 60% stake. There’s a couple of ways that could be resolved of course, but the easiest is to force TWDC to divest 21CF’s holdings, which would likely mean Comcast get it, assuming they want that much extra debt. In such a scenario I could see Disney using this as a good a reason as any to disentangle themselves from the whole deal. Hulu without Disney/Fox content is pretty worthless, and for Comcast’s part, they’d rather you got NBC via your cable plan.

Disney would then be free to launch a new service with all of their content plus that of 21st Century Fox as an almost exclusive package.

Also, as a streaming service I don’t see a need to them to maintain a ‘Disney’ image. There’ll be multiple brands and styles of content, and those could of course be presented as ‘channels’ for ease of navigation. This whole play is to ensure Netflix or Amazon don’t get fat off of Disney’s content. I don’t see them leaving product off the table.

The two international pieces are also significant though this provides a slight complication for Fox's takeover of the rest of Sky. Personally I think the regulators in the UK will allow it to proceed as Disney probably holds a better reputation than Murdoch after his well-publicized issues with the Fleet Street tabloids. These international assets aren't really bread and butter fits for Disney so it will be interesting how they handle them.

Murdoch is friendly with the conservative government, and May has way too much on her plate to be worrying about who owns Sky. In the US there are anti-trust concerns with a Disney/Fox deal, but the UKs media landscape will not change unduly (except of course for Netflix again).

Sky is weaker still across the continent.

My guess is any regulatory issues will be here in the States only.

Forgive me if this has already been raised, I haven't been keeping up with the threads lately.

I think that one of the effects of the takeover, a really big thing for Star Wars fans, is that now there is a significant chance that the original trilogy will be released in all (or most of) its glory.

The reason for the sheer destructiveness of the special editions, the urge to alter every single frame of the films in as many ways as (cheaply) possible using digital effects, was in my opinion an effort to wrest most of the royalties/profits away from 20th Century Fox and direct them into the bank accounts of Lucasfilm.

I believe that Episode IV was the most massively vandalized film because its cost overruns and delays meant that Lucas had to give up practically all of his "points" off the gross, in order to keep control of the film all the way to completion. So to get "his" money back, Lucas had to make the special edition practically a new film.

The kids in South Park were right ... it was literally the same as smashing open the Ark of the Covenant to steal the power inside ... except in this case it was as if Moses himself smashed open the Ark so he could alter the decalogue and slap a new copyright on it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney don’t walk away from Hulu. It’s likely that Hulu will be a point of contention when the purchase is reviewed by regulators. Disney will hold a controlling 60% stake. There’s a couple of ways that could be resolved of course, but the easiest is to force TWDC to divest 21CF’s holdings, which would likely mean Comcast get it, assuming they want that much extra debt. In such a scenario I could see Disney using this as a good a reason as any to disentangle themselves from the whole deal. Hulu without Disney/Fox content is pretty worthless, and for Comcast’s part, they’d rather you got NBC via your cable plan.

Disney would then be free to launch a new service with all of their content plus that of 21st Century Fox as an almost exclusive package.

Also, as a streaming service I don’t see a need to them to maintain a ‘Disney’ image. There’ll be multiple brands and styles of content, and those could of course be presented as ‘channels’ for ease of navigation. This whole play is to ensure Netflix or Amazon don’t get fat off of Disney’s content. I don’t see them leaving product off the table.

While they'll own the 21th Century Fox-produced shows and movies, Disney won't be own the broadcast networks — Fox, FX, FXX, Fox News, FS1, FS2, the various college football channels, etc. — all of those will be spun off as per the agreement with Murdoch, which means they might concede Fox's share in Hulu.

But there has been a lot of talk that Disney, Fox, and Comcast have been looking to sell Hulu for some time now.

Hulu was basically a stop gap measure for Disney. They needed some method of selling broadcast tv to cord cutters before acquiring BAMtech and building their own. So if they keep it as an option to consumers, that's great. If they divest themselves from it either to Comcast or some other party, and do all of it in house, that's fine too.

While they'll own the 21th Century Fox-produced shows and movies, Disney won't be own the broadcast networks — Fox, FX, FXX, Fox News, FS1, FS2, the various college football channels, etc. — all of those will be spun off as per the agreement with Murdoch, which means they might concede Fox's share in Hulu.

But there has been a lot of talk that Disney, Fox, and Comcast have been looking to sell Hulu for some time now.
Fox is only retaining fox network, Fox News, fs1, fs2 and big ten network. FX was included in the sale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter