Disney Fantasy November 18, 2017 (Eastern Caribbean)

Hendlaw

Mouse Owned
Just booked a Merry Time cruise for 2017. It will be my first cruise on the Fantasy (have only been on the Wonder). Let the wait begin, and the planning, and the research....I'm so excited!!

We are a family of 3, our son will be 9 at the time of the cruise. We are from Wylie, Texas.

So, let's start up the Thread for this trip!

Last edited:
Can't wait to head back on the Fantasy and do Thanksgiving all over again. amazing cruise - best week to do it. Does anyone know how the Fish Extender program works. Would like to get involved in that.

Hello all! Is this the official thread for the 2017 Thanksgiving cruise? We just booked the cruise last week and I'm looking for the right thread. My family and I have done one 7-night Fantasy cruise before and couldn't wait to get back to do it again. Thanksgiving week seemed like a good idea. Anyone else ever done a Thanksgiving week cruise with DCL?

Can't wait to head back on the Fantasy and do Thanksgiving all over again. amazing cruise - best week to do it. Does anyone know how the Fish Extender program works. Would like to get involved in that.
Hi DPan, we did FE last and it was a blast. We probably won't do it this time though since the kids are bigger and would rather spend their time doing other stuff. Usually, someone on this thread will volunteer to organize the FE for the cruise. This really just consists of keeping a list of each cabin and it's occupants that post that they want to participate (keeping a master list). On our last cruise, the organizer broke the master list up into groups of 10-12 cabins each. That way, you had a group of 10-12 cabins you were exchanging gifts with. We had 3 groups on our last cruise. The organizer will maintain and update the master list(s) as folks post here they want to participate, usually posting updated versions of the list to the thread here. You can find a FAQ on Fish Extenders here: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=33184281&postcount=2. If you've never done it before, I highly recommend it. It can be a lot of fun and another way to meet your cruise mates and their families.

We haven't had any posts here in about a month, so thought I'd post something just to keep the thread alive. I'm counting down the days till November!

This will be our 2nd on the Fantasy over Thanksgiving. My kids will be 16 (this is my exchange student from China staying with us for a total of 4 years) 15 and 10 both boys. We are from Southwest Virginia. My oldest boy loved the Vibe last year. And my younger son is looking forward to getting an age exemption into the Edge. The kid center is a little too crazy for him. Also looking into having our 17 yr old nephew join us. We will have 2 cabins on the 9th deck!

Hello all! Is this the official thread for the 2017 Thanksgiving cruise? We just booked the cruise last week and I'm looking for the right thread. My family and I have done one 7-night Fantasy cruise before and couldn't wait to get back to do it again. Thanksgiving week seemed like a good idea. Anyone else ever done a Thanksgiving week cruise with DCL?

We went for the first time exact same cruise and we are doing it again - we booked before we got off. This time we may grab a couple extra kids. I would love to meet some more adults - its nice having other people to be social with!

Hi Erin, what are the ages of your family members and where are you guys from? My family consists of myself (38), DW (40), DD (17), DD (13), and DS (10). We're from San Antonio, TX.

I'm not Erin but I'm jumping in. Sounds like we have kids around the same ages. I'm bringing all boys 16 yr old, a 15 yr old and a 10 yr old at the time of the cruise. Might also bring my 17 year nephew along with my husband. We have 2 cabins on the 9th deck. We are from VA, China, and Nevada. Did you do this cruise before. I know there are a lot of repeat sailors on this trip. As my current 14 year has keep in touch with many of those he met in Nov over Snap Chat and Instagram! Jenn

I'm not Erin but I'm jumping in. Sounds like we have kids around the same ages. I'm bringing all boys 16 yr old, a 15 yr old and a 10 yr old at the time of the cruise. Might also bring my 17 year nephew along with my husband. We have 2 cabins on the 9th deck. We are from VA, China, and Nevada. Did you do this cruise before. I know there are a lot of repeat sailors on this trip. As my current 14 year has keep in touch with many of those he met in Nov over Snap Chat and Instagram! Jenn
Hi JBB, we haven't done a Thanksgiving cruise before, but all three of my kiddos keep in contact with friends they made on the Star Wars cruise we did in January of 2016. I think that was one of my favorite parts of the cruise last time: getting to meet folks on the DISBoard thread here as we all got excited about the cruise together and then getting to meet them and hang out with them on the ship. My oldest daughter will be 17 at the time of the cruise, my younger daughter will be two weeks short of her 14th birthday and my son will be two weeks short of his 11th birthday. I'm going to try to get my younger daughter exempted into Vibe this time as she'd like to hang out more with her older sister. And, I'm going to try to get my son exempted into Edge as he's way too big for the OC and OL activities. I'm looking forward to cruising with you guys.

This will be our 2nd on the Fantasy over Thanksgiving. My kids will be 16 (this is my exchange student from China staying with us for a total of 4 years) 15 and 10 both boys. We are from Southwest Virginia. My oldest boy loved the Vibe last year. And my younger son is looking forward to getting an age exemption into the Edge. The kid center is a little too crazy for him. Also looking into having our 17 yr old nephew join us. We will have 2 cabins on the 9th deck!

Can you please tell me more about the age exemption process? How do you get one? Thanks!

Can you please tell me more about the age exemption process? How do you get one? Thanks!
Allowing children to "age up" to the next club level is always at the discretion of the CMs on board. You can't really apply for an "exception", you simply have to visit the club of your choice on the first day and introduce your child to the counselors. Let your child tell them their age and why they think they'd have more fun in that club instead of the one they're supposed to be "aged" into. Depending on how close the child is to the appropriate birthday, how many other children are on the cruise in that age group or club (in other words, if there's room), and other circumstances (i.e., an older sibling in that club they prefer to hang with), the CMs will make the decision. While it is possible to convince them to allow your child to "age up" (in other words, allow a 13 year old just short of their 14th birthday to "age up" to Vibe, or a 10 year old just short of his 11th birthday to "age up" to Edge), they will NEVER allow a child to "age down". There's no way they'd allow a 15 year old to hang out in Edge, for example. My son will be about 2 weeks shy of his 11th birthday during the cruise, and he's hoping to be allowed to "age up" to Edge, since he didn't enjoy the "chaos" of OC/OL last time we cruised. I hope that helps.

Allowing children to "age up" to the next club level is always at the discretion of the CMs on board. You can't really apply for an "exception", you simply have to visit the club of your choice on the first day and introduce your child to the counselors. Let your child tell them their age and why they think they'd have more fun in that club instead of the one they're supposed to be "aged" into. Depending on how close the child is to the appropriate birthday, how many other children are on the cruise in that age group or club (in other words, if there's room), and other circumstances (i.e., an older sibling in that club they prefer to hang with), the CMs will make the decision. While it is possible to convince them to allow your child to "age up" (in other words, allow a 13 year old just short of their 14th birthday to "age up" to Vibe, or a 10 year old just short of his 11th birthday to "age up" to Edge), they will NEVER allow a child to "age down". There's no way they'd allow a 15 year old to hang out in Edge, for example. My son will be about 2 weeks shy of his 11th birthday during the cruise, and he's hoping to be allowed to "age up" to Edge, since he didn't enjoy the "chaos" of OC/OL last time we cruised. I hope that helps.
Thanks so much for the info! It sounds like my son will need to wait another year to get into Edge... I was hoping he could hang with his sister, but he'll only be approaching 10 when we're cruising this year. I can't wait, though! We went on the 4 day DCL Bahamian cruise a year ago last Christmas, but this will be our first Thanksgiving cruise! Looking forward to getting back on the ship!

First Disney Cruise newbies! Looking forward to a fabulous Thanksgiving cruise. Still trying to figure out how to surprise the kids, as they don't know this is even in the works. My kids ages Sophia (16), Jack (14), Lauren (12). Excited to be a part of this blog.

Stephanie

Hello - we are booked on this cruise and this will be our 2nd on the Fantasy (Our First is in 16 days!!) We have two daughters one who is 12 and one who is 10 and would love to meet up with some kids their own age!

First Disney Cruise newbies! Looking forward to a fabulous Thanksgiving cruise. Still trying to figure out how to surprise the kids, as they don't know this is even in the works. My kids ages Sophia (16), Jack (14), Lauren (12). Excited to be a part of this blog.

Stephanie
That's awesome, Stephanie! We surprised our kids a year ago for our first DCL cruise and it was so much fun to plan! I was bursting at the seams to tell them - that was the hardest part! It was the holidays, so I had bought them each a pirate costume and a snorkel set, along with making them a flip book that included the details of our trip (we were also tagging Universal & Disney along on either side of our cruise). When they got to the end, they were so excited!!! Good luck with your big reveal!

We have a daughter (12 at the time of travel) and son (9)... they're both psyched for this upcoming cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter