Disney Classics Cinematic Universe

PrinceMarvel

Earning My Ears
While Marvel may have pioneered the cinematic universe which actually began with Universal's original monster films, what I don't hear a lot of is that a lot of Disney's classical movies are also connected.

It started with "The Absent-Minded Professor" which introduced two elements which would appear in other Disney films. One was Medfield College which later appeared in "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes." While the city of Medfield was later seen in "The Shaggy D.A.". The second was the character Alonzo Hawk who would later come back as an antagonist in Herbie Rides Again.

The rest are really supposition, and really depends on how one chooses to look at them.

The Absent-Minded Professor (1988). While supposedly a remake of the earlier film, but instead of starring a Professor Brainard, it starred another absent-minded professor in that of Henry Crawford who finds Professor Brainard's notes.

Gus. In Herbie Goes Bananas there is a scene were a party goer is seen wearing an Atoms jersey. The Atoms are the professional football team features in Gus.

The Ugly Dachshund. In the Shaggy D.A., the first time the main charatcer, Wilby, transforms back into the shaggy dog, he does so in a a yard that features a doghouse with the name Brutus on it. Brutus was the name of The Ugly Dachshund. It could be a connection, but it could also just merely be a shout out as Dean Jones played in both movies.

The Million Dollar Duck. Near the end of the movie there is a Volkswagen beetle with the license plate OFP-857. Again, it could be a connection, but it could also just merely be a shout out as Dean Jones played in both movies.

The Princess Diaries. This one is more or less a bit of a stretch. Both Herbie Rides Again and The Princess Diaries features their main protagonists living in a renovated firehouse in San Francisco. Are they the same?

So as it stands Disney's Classic Cinematic Universe for sure includes the following movies
The Absent-Minded Professor
The Son of Flubber

The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
Now You See Me, Now You Don't
The Strongest Man in the World

The Shaggy Dog
The Shaggy DA
Return of the Shaggy Dog

The Love Bug
Herbie Rides Again
Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
Herbie Goes Bananas
Herbie, the Love Bug (TV Series)
The Love Bug (1997 TV Movie)
Herbie: Fully Loaded

With the possiblities of...

The Absent Minded-Professor (1988)
The Absent Minded-Professor: Trading Places

Gus

The Ugly Dachshund

The Million Dollar Duck

The Princess Diaries
The Princess Diaries 2: A Royal Engagement

---

Of Course, if you want to venture outside of the Disney shows, I could mention that KITT from Knight Rider did have a cameo appearance on Herbie: Fully Loaded. Which would then include several other shows from NBC and CBS.

The Ugly Dachshund was a fave of mine growing up. I was too young to see it in the theater (1966) but I always looked forward to it on the Disney TV show!

This is a fascinating post. I always knew some of these movies were connected (Like the Medfield College ones), but I didn't know it ran so deep.

One thing you may want to consider is the Journey into Imagination ride also features elements of these movies (again, Medfield College), so there is a possibility that the story of the ride fits in there too. There was never a movie, but the Figment comic books make some mentions, mostly as little Easter Eggs.

Last edited:
Thank you for letting me know about Journey Into Imagination. Unfortunately, my Disney parks experiences is limited to Disneyland in California, and it's been awhile since I've even been there. So I had not heard of the ride. However, it helps to establish a connection between the Disney Classics Cinematic Universe and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, which I felt belonged to the cinematic universe anyways.

I'm always looking for more connections with other movies and TV series.

Hi PrinceMarvel,

That's a very interesting observation. Of course, Medfield continues in the more recent remake Flubber as well.

I hope you will allow me a personal request -
Over the last year and a half I've been a bit obsessive about collecting and watching the series of films around Flubber and so far I've managed to get everything except the 1988 version (everything else includes the original short stories by Samuel Taylor, the two films from the 60s and their colorized version and the 1997 film). Reading your post seems like you might have a copy of the 80s film? If you do it would mean the world to me if you could share it with me. I would even be happy to buy a copy of it from you. I would also be very glad to share the original short stories (which are quite rare) with you in case you are interested.

Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi PrinceMarvel,

That's a very interesting observation. Of course, Medfield continues in the more recent remake Flubber as well.

I hope you will allow me a personal request -
Over the last year and a half I've been a bit obsessive about collecting and watching the series of films around Flubber and so far I've managed to get everything except the 1988 version (everything else includes the original short stories by Samuel Taylor, the two films from the 60s and their colorized version and the 1997 film). Reading your post seems like you might have a copy of the 80s film? If you do it would mean the world to me if you could share it with me. I would even be happy to buy a copy of it from you. I would also be very glad to share the original short stories (which are quite rare) with you in case you are interested.

Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you.

Unfortunately, I do not have any of the flubber movies. You might, however, try YouTube.

I don't know if this counts,but I like Disney's adaptation of Zorro(1957). I was only able to watch it on YouTube but I was quite impressed with it.

I have heard that The Cat From Outer Space is supposedly connected, but I haven't found any information for this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!