Disney after Bariatric Surgery

Not interested in taking over your post but I am 9 years post RNY gastric bypass and have always had great luck discussing my food needs with the chef. it is recorded on my ADRs that i have special dietary needs; the chef then comes out and designs a meal meeting my needs EXACTLY!! I have the added issue of being a pescaterian so I will only eat fish as a protein. And to the original OP>>> I also start every morning with a protein shake!! To any other gastric surgery patients out there: do not be afraid of WDW. Ask for what you need (that includes requesting kids meals if you need them) Try to avoid buffets... you can usually get correct foods but you are paying alot and you are eating minimally. Use appetizers as main dishes and most of all....enjoy your vacay!!!

The woman I got on the phone at Disney Reservations was terribly rude to me.
Any time this happens, hang up and call back. Unlikely you would get the same CM on two consecutive calls, and even if the next one couldn't help you, they would have been polite.
So, my advice is to check the menus the week before you go to confirm that what you're planning on is still there.
Check the day before the ADR, too. Menus do change without notice (but San Angel probably still had those ingredients on hand if was a very recent change.)

Not interested in taking over your post but I am 9 years post RNY gastric bypass and have always had great luck discussing my food needs with the chef. it is recorded on my ADRs that i have special dietary needs; the chef then comes out and designs a meal meeting my needs EXACTLY!! I have the added issue of being a pescaterian so I will only eat fish as a protein. And to the original OP>>> I also start every morning with a protein shake!! To any other gastric surgery patients out there: do not be afraid of WDW. Ask for what you need (that includes requesting kids meals if you need them) Try to avoid buffets... you can usually get correct foods but you are paying alot and you are eating minimally. Use appetizers as main dishes and most of all....enjoy your vacay!!!

Certainly now that I am 5 months post op I feel a lot more comfortable with my dietary needs. It was so new the last time I went that I was scared of everything! Now I'm on regular food and know how to ask for what I need. I'm going again next month and I'm not worried at all about the food and it's good to know you've had good experiences talking to the chefs. I'm being "forced" to go to one buffet. I think you're right, it'll be easy, but will feel super pricy for the amount I'll eat. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I myself am almost 2 years Post-OP. I wondered if anyone has ordered kids meals? Also if they gave you a hard time ordering from the kids menu. My doctors office gave me a "note" for ordering off the kids menu, but I haven't actually ever tried using it.

Is this seriously a question???

Yes, it is - was the mother there looking at the actual menu? Or something online, which is likely very inaccurate, as we found out last week. We were able to adjust lots of menu items. So I'm asking, did you go there to figure it out, or just going based on what was online?

I myself am almost 2 years Post-OP. I wondered if anyone has ordered kids meals? Also if they gave you a hard time ordering from the kids menu. My doctors office gave me a "note" for ordering off the kids menu, but I haven't actually ever tried using it.
All the time in sit down restaurants. Absolutely no issue. Unfortunately buffets will, in most cases, not allow you to pay kids prices!!

I am really glad someone brought up this topic. I was 5 months post-op on my last trip. They had a lot of protein options to choose from, but I spent a lot of money on my meals. I feel like the dining plan is such a waste for me to purchase. I’m a little over a year post-op now but definitely can’t eat my money’s worth at a buffet. Everyone on my room reservation wants a dining plan, but we soon realized it was an all or no one deal. Not sure how we are going to handle that yet. I may just do it and give away my snacks .

I am really glad someone brought up this topic. I was 5 months post-op on my last trip. They had a lot of protein options to choose from, but I spent a lot of money on my meals. I feel like the dining plan is such a waste for me to purchase. I’m a little over a year post-op now but definitely can’t eat my money’s worth at a buffet. Everyone on my room reservation wants a dining plan, but we soon realized it was an all or no one deal. Not sure how we are going to handle that yet. I may just do it and give away my snacks .

Do you realize that the credits are one big pot, and you don't personally have to use any of them? If it works the other adults can use them, and you can order what you want. That is, as long as you are not at a buffet or family style meal.

Do you realize that the credits are one big pot, and you don't personally have to use any of them? If it works the other adults can use them, and you can order what you want. That is, as long as you are not at a buffet or family style meal.

Ooooh no, I did not know that. I’ve never been interested in the plan, so I never really researched the details. Thanks, I will definitely need to look into it now.

Whoa, what a roller coaster with differing experiences.
I'm 5 years out from RNY gastric bypass, and while I'm very comfortable at this point with knowing my dietary needs, I says mad props to anyone freshly joining "the loser's bench" (as my doc likes to say) and doing Disney. I truly don't think i would've been able to do it.
When we go next month, we'll be on the dining plan. At first I thought it was a waste to have it for me, but now we're thinking that our kids (ages 17, 14, and 7...ignore the outdated signature that i can't fix) will make good use of the credits i don't use.

My sister and I have been ordering from the kids menu, both for health reasons as well as the fact that it’s still a decent portion of food at a better price. We’ve only really done it at counter service though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!