Dislocated Shoulder - When Can I Run Again?

mrebuck

Mouseketeer
I'm training for the half marathon relay in October (I'm doing the 8 mile portion). My training was going really well. From January to last Friday, I went from the couch to running 4 miles in 45 minutes. Then, Friday night while on a Girl Scout camping trip, I dislocated my shoulder (a long story). I saw an orthopedist on Monday and he wants me to wear a sling until I see him again . . . in 5 weeks! I can't imagine not running for 5 weeks.

Anyone ever dislocate their shoulder? How long did you wait before resuming running?

how terrible! PD for a speedy recovery for you!!

i'm going to make a duplicate of this in the event sub-forum as there may be someone who has experienced the same...

I haven't had a dislocated shoulder, but I have had rotater cuff surgery. Five weeks is a long time, however; you should understand that shoulders need all the loving care they can get. It will never be the same again, (my DS dislocated his years ago) but to be the best it can, you have to listen to your doctor. Plus, you may actually benefit from the time off. You won't lose what you have attained in that short amount of time. Try to find something that can take the place! Walking may be a good option for you, for now. Good luck.

Hey i took a really nasty spill of my bike a few years ago and did the same. I think I was out of commission for about a week and a half, and was sore after that. Really go with how you feel, after you dont have any pain for 2-3 days of normal every day activity and can go for a little while without the sling then give running a shot. you're gonna have to start slow and do say a 10 minute run, and then head home and see how you feel the rest of the day. Next day if you dont feel any additional discomfort go for a 15 minute run. Build in slowly and carefully and keep in mind that pain might not set on during or immediately following a run but may bother you the next morning.

Hey i took a really nasty spill of my bike a few years ago and did the same. I think I was out of commission for about a week and a half, and was sore after that. Really go with how you feel, after you dont have any pain for 2-3 days of normal every day activity and can go for a little while without the sling then give running a shot. you're gonna have to start slow and do say a 10 minute run, and then head home and see how you feel the rest of the day. Next day if you dont feel any additional discomfort go for a 15 minute run. Build in slowly and carefully and keep in mind that pain might not set on during or immediately following a run but may bother you the next morning.

Thanks - that's exactly what I decided to do (except I decided to compromise by keeping the sling on). I took a "test walk" on Saturday - I walked a couple of miles at about a 15 minute/mile pace. My arm felt great both during and after the walk. So this morning, I had my husband glue my arm in place with an ace bandage and went for a slow run. I took it very slow, about 11 minute/mile pace for 2 miles. My arm felt fine. I’ll try again in a couple of days and if I feel fine, I’ll keep going.

5 weeks sounds a bit long to me, IF all you did was dislocate it!

Like others have said, just go out on small/walk runs (like you have been doing) and see how it goes.

Keeping it in the sling is a good idea. If you need more support wear the sling and then have your hubby ace wrap it around your body. I would try to avoid wrapping it to your side without it being in the sling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter