Disingenuous Disney Rep

jmw33

Mouseketeer
Just a rant: So after years of contemplating whether DVC is worth it...we have finally decided to buy a resale contract and purchase 25 points direct. Yesterday, I was on the phone with a Disney rep talking prices and he told me several times that the least amount of points I could buy was 50. I told him 3 times that I have done quite a bit of research and I was under the impression it was 25. He told me flat out that I was wrong. My husband was in the background and stated that his brother just purchased 25 points and told me to hang up and he will talk to the other rep his brother used....(this is totally not true about his brother)but anyway... all of a sudden, the rep remembered that I could in fact, only purchase 25. So sad that he had to lie to me. I understand you want to make a sale but come on. Sorry...rant over!

IIRC, I think the rep was right. Initial buy in for first time members is 50 points. If you were already a member from a prior purchase, the minimum add on is 25 points. In future, please be honest and kinder to the reps. Most are honest, knowledgeable, and good people. Just saying. And, welcome home.

If you have not closed on a resale yet and not currently a member, rep is correct. Can only add on the 25 after you already are a member either direct or resale.

Laura

I think it might have been a new rep. Most know the difference between 50 pt original purchase and 25 pt add on.

It is 25 points if you pay cash and 50 points if you finance for add-on contracts. Did you let him know initially that you already have a resale contract? Are you already a DVC member or in the process of becoming a member?

IIRC, I think the rep was right. Initial buy in for first time members is 50 points. If you were already a member from a prior purchase, the minimum add on is 25 points. In future, please be honest and kinder to the reps. Most are honest, knowledgeable, and good people. Just saying. And, welcome home.

I'm not sure when I stated that I was unkind. Yes, this is an add on. Are you suggesting that I should have just bought the 50 points? The only way he remembered that it was 25 was by saying we wanted to deal with another rep. The tone of his voice sounded as though he was conceding...not that he genuinely misunderstood.

I'm not sure when I stated that I was unkind. Yes, this is an add on. Are you suggesting that I should have just bought the 50 points? The only way he remembered that it was 25 was by saying we wanted to deal with another rep. The tone of his voice sounded as though he was conceding...not that he genuinely misunderstood.

Your first post sounded like you've only just decided to buy the resale - not that you already had completed the purchase so it was a little difficult to tell if the rep was giving correct info that a new buyer requires a minimum of 50 or if you were already a DVC owner closed on the resale purchase and thus eligible for the 25 points.

Glad you were able to trigger his memory about the lower threshold for existing owners. Sometimes it isn't all that easy to buy direct! (I had a direct purchase take longer than at least one of my resales!)

If you've only just decided to do this combo, you don't have a guide yet. So the random rep you talked to isn't "your" guy.

If you've already purchased and have a guide (even resale purchasers are assigned one), was that him? If not, what were you trying to make happen during the phone call?

Although now that you have a contact with him it might be he that you're assigned once you buy the resale.

If your purchase is done and it's your actual guide then ok it's frustrating.

But otherwise it just sounds like it was always going to be a frustrating call, because he can't sell anything yet, you can't buy anything yet, and he's not the guy to sell to you anyway.

I don't think of this as sad, more just the way things are. It's the same with cars, houses, etc. Heh you should sit thru timeshare presentations at other companies and see the incredible pressure tactics / lies they use! It's crazy. In all fairness, you didn't really approach your guide with an open mind to buying his product or discussing on the level either -- so he doesn't owe you any honesty. You are telling him you plan to buy a lot of points, *not* from him, and you essentially want him to be an insider for you and tell you honestly just how little you can buy from him to get you the most benefits for his least possible profit. That's not something one should expect from a salesperson.

Last edited:
If you've only just decided to do this combo, you don't have a guide yet. So the random rep you talked to isn't "your" guy.

If you've already purchased and have a guide (even resale purchasers are assigned one), was that him? If not, what were you trying to make happen during the phone call?

Although now that you have a contact with him it might be he that you're assigned once you buy the resale.

If your purchase is done and it's your actual guide then ok it's frustrating.

But otherwise it just sounds like it was always going to be a frustrating call, because he can't sell anything yet, you can't buy anything yet, and he's not the guy to sell to you anyway.
I don't think that you have to deal with 'your guy'. I bought resale, I'm sure I was assigned a guide but have no idea who it is. I asked my resale company if they had a recommendation for someone to call for my direct add on and I called the person they mentioned. I said I wanted a 25 pt add on and there was no issue at all.

I don't think of this as sad, more just the way things are. It's the same with cars, houses, etc. Heh you should sit thru timeshare presentations at other companies and see the incredible pressure tactics / lies they use! It's crazy. In all fairness, you didn't really approach your guide with an open mind to buying his product or discussing on the level either -- so he doesn't owe you any honesty. You are telling him you plan to buy a lot of points, *not* from him, and you essentially want him to be an insider for you and tell you honestly just how little you can buy from him to get you the most benefits for his least possible profit. That's not something one should expect from a salesperson.

He doesn't owe me honesty?? That's weird. I am already an owner. He shouldn't care where I got the points. I told him I wanted a 25 point add on and he told me the least I could get was 50. Then told him I would call someone else and he said oh yea...you can get 25.

I don't think that you have to deal with 'your guy'. I bought resale, I'm sure I was assigned a guide but have no idea who it is. I asked my resale company if they had a recommendation for someone to call for my direct add on and I called the person they mentioned. I said I wanted a 25 pt add on and there was no issue at all.

That's what I was expected to happen to me when I called. Glad your add on went smoothly.

He doesn't owe me honesty?? That's weird. I am already an owner. He shouldn't care where I got the points. I told him I wanted a 25 point add on and he told me the least I could get was 50. Then told him I would call someone else and he said oh yea...you can get 25.
And this is common. So? You can ask a car salesman... Is this the best price possible? He'll say yes. You can say... But my friend just bought one for this, so sell it for this... He'll push back, and maybe eventually give in. Was it a lie or dishonest? Perhaps. I'd say it's more sales tactics. I wouldn't go to the extent to call that person who is being paid to do his job of separating you from your money disingenuous. Otherwise in an honest world, if you ask any timeshare salesperson... "Should I buy 200 points from you to get the best deal?" They would be honor-bound to answer "No, you should only buy 25 here and go buy 200 elsewhere". That's not realistic to expect such honesty.

Last edited:
Maybe there was uncertainty about whether you were adding on or are a new customer. If there wasn't, I agree it's a straight up lie and you have a right to be angry. I'd hold Disney to a higher standard than a used car salesman. You weren't asking an opinion but a question of fact. Can't imagine Disney corporate would agree with those tactics.

Over the years DVD has changed their policies several times. When they are hungry they do what's necessary to make sales. When we bought BLT, they gave us a 7 night DCL trip. Current management and number of sales determines what they will allow and what perks to offer. Several times we were told one thing and later after getting "special" permission, we got what we asked for.

:earsboy: Bill

I think if they enter your info in your system, the person you talked to will be your guide unless you had one already assigned. If this ends up being your guide, I'd likely ask to change just to get a fresh start rather than second guessing things. If the resale is in your account already, you should be able to buy 25 for cash other than at CCV.

And this is common. So? You can ask a car salesman... Is this the best price possible? He'll say yes. You can say... But my friend just bought one for this, so sell it for this... He'll push back, and maybe eventually give in. Was it a lie or dishonest? Perhaps. I'd say it's more sales tactics. I wouldn't go to the extent to call that person who is being paid to do his job of separating you from your money disingenuous. Otherwise in an honest world, if you ask any timeshare salesperson... "Should I buy 200 points from you to get the best deal?" They would be honor-bound to answer "No, you should only buy 25 here and go buy 200 elsewhere". That's not realistic to expect such honesty.

This example is completely and utterly not applicable to this situation.

If OP is correct about her guides attempt to purposely mislead them, then it's borderline attempted fraud. I personally think we was probably just mistaken or looking at something in their system that may have shown them as a perspective first time buyer or something or even getting them confused with somebody else they had spoken to earlier in the day.

A better analogy for what OP thinks happened to her is misbooking a hotel and showing up a day early, after explaining the situation at the front desk they tell her all they have remaining is a suite at $500 per night when in fact they have plenty of standard rooms at $250.

Comparing this to a price negotiation at a car delearship is silly.

I agree with the OP that this is a bit shady. Come on, they do this for a living. I'm a pretty hardcore Disney fan and feel like a borderline DVC expert after surfing these boards the last few years and I've seen the add-on topic come up a hundred times. If someone posts a question right now asking about the minimum add-on points allowed a dozen people would answer it correctly in 30 minutes.

They sell DVC contracts everyday, this isn't a complex or obscure request. I suspect they slipped in the 50 point requirement hoping to get you to go along with little resistance.

In general I think most guides are great, but in any sales position, you're gonna get a few hustlers who will bend the rules or play dumb to benefit themselves.

Kudos to the OP for doing your homework.

For which resort were you wanting to add on 25 points? Disney has imposed a 50-point minimum for add-ons for Copper Creek Cabins & Villas. It will sell as few as 25-point deeds for the other resorts, but for Copper Creek Disney is requiring members purchase at least 50 points.

So far, I have only seen one deed recorded by the Orange County Comptroller for Copper Creek that was for less than 50 points. However, the buyer of that one 25-point deed also bought at the same time other Copper Creek deeds totaling 210 points, so there must have been extenuating circumstances that caused Disney to make an exception.

If OP is correct about her guides attempt to purposely mislead them, then it's borderline attempted fraud. I personally think we was probably just mistaken or looking at something in their system that may have shown them as a perspective first time buyer or something or even getting them confused with somebody else they had spoken to earlier in the day. Comparing this to a price negotiation at a car delearship is silly.
Fair enough... But in a high-pressure sales environment like cars and timeshares, it is not a reasonable question to ask, "What is the least I can possibly spend with you to minimize your commission, maximize my benefit, and spend the bulk of my money elsewhere?" -- with a straight face expecting a truly honest answer. The answer you get will likely be hedged against you from several angles... quantity, price, perks, etc. I doubt the guide was just mistaken since he knew in the end he could give more. Seriously go sit through any timeshare presentation and you will see extreme attempts to mislead left and right. I can relate to the OPs rant... Our guide played the perks angle more than the quantity, but same effect. I don't look at him as having attempted to defraud me.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter