Discovery Cove Self-Pictures

mickeyfanz

Mouseketeer
My family of 5 is going to DC at the end of March and we all have the dolphin swim included. I know that we will want photos of this and I saw how pricey their photo packages are. I know that the website says that you can take your own photos and they show you where to stand to do so,

Since all 5 of us are doing it, would they let our family split into 2 separate groups so that we can get photos of each other instead of buying their package?

Any tips for doing this?

great question and wish i had the answer.

by posting here your thread will stay at the top of the list and be seen quickly.

hope someone can answer your question

Hi I am on trip advisor all the time and when I was looking at Discovery Cove questions and answers there was an answer to your question. It does not tell you the procedure so you would have to do it when you check in at the desk that day. It says you can split into two groups and do what you suggested for pictures. However, this person and their group did that and they said that you really need a good telephoto lens and camera to get some of the pictures. It would make sense there is a lot of movement to the dolphin experience.

I just did this in July there were 4 of us and I splurged for the elite package which included the pictures and the cabana. I was very happy with the pictures. The photographers did a great job and what I liked the best was that they did the picture of the 4 of us together as well as separate ones. It was important to me to have pictures of all of us together. If you don't mind not having pictures of your whole group at the end with the dolphin then it will work.

Have fun we love DC!

When you check in you should just tell them you want to split into two different groups with enough gap in time to do this. Before your swim you sit through a little class then go in the water ... so I wouldn't want to find out I'm overlapping and then miss the others swim. To me ... you are losing a lot of time together and honestly we loved doing it together.

I agree with PP that the quality photo you will get will be poor compared to them inside the water with you. I have taken photos of others before to see how it would look before we did our swim .... paying for even the basic photo package was well worth it, the photos, especially of my DS are priceless.

You already spend a fortune to go and participate, it's worth the money to have wonderful photos to remember it by.

I would also take a waterproof camera to take in the water snorkeling, lazy river and get some great photos of your own.

I did a separate time from my friend in order to take our own photos. We were in back to back swims, plenty of time to hand off the camera and have the second person go to the cabana for her orientation video. If you ask they'll point out the best location for photographing depending on where your party is located in the lagoon. Behind the DC photographers is a good idea since they pose the photos in that direction anyways. I brought a DSLR w/ (relatively small) telephoto lens and am quite happy with the photos. You do obviously miss out on group photos that way. But for me, it was a worthwhile trade off. Mention that you want to do 2 groups as soon as you get to the check in desk, as they don't specifically ask.

I do wish I had gotten a little waterproof camera for the great reef, that was super cool. And they have the free lockers (you can use one in various locations) so you can stow the camera easily when you are enjoying the water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!