Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

I have two nights in Venice after our cruise. Any hotel vs. AirBnB suggestions? In Rome (when there will be all 8 of us) we booked a beautiful AirBnb near the Trevi Fountain...but the extra nights in Venice will be just 2-4 of us. I was looking at the Westin Europa or the Rialto...so far.

We are having the same debate. Looking at the Westin Europa or an apartment. Still not sure what to do!!

The one thing I just thought of in looking at apartments, which is what we were leaning towards, is what to do with our luggage from the time we get off the ship until check in at 3 or 4 pm?? That's going to be an issue. At least with a hotel, I would assume you could leave your bags until your room was ready later in the day?

The one thing I just thought of in looking at apartments, which is what we were leaning towards, is what to do with our luggage from the time we get off the ship until check in at 3 or 4 pm?? That's going to be an issue. At least with a hotel, I would assume you could leave your bags until your room was ready later in the day?

You could try to contact the host to make arrangements with storing your luggage earlier. We did this in London this summer when we stayed in an AirBNB. The host arranged for us to store our bags there in the morning while we waited for it be cleaned. In reality, it wasn't quite so smooth for us. There was still some waiting involved. Keep in mind that if the apartment or hotel is not accessible by a canal, you may be carrying your luggage through Venice which is doable but not ideal.

If you're looking for another hotel option, a couple of years ago we stayed at the Hotel Palazzo Sant'Angelo which is on the Grand Canal close to Rialto. It was a small boutique hotel. We enjoyed it quite a bit.

You could try to contact the host to make arrangements with storing your luggage earlier. We did this in London this summer when we stayed in an AirBNB. The host arranged for us to store our bags there in the morning while we waited for it be cleaned. In reality, it wasn't quite so smooth for us. There was still some waiting involved. Keep in mind that if the apartment or hotel is not accessible by a canal, you may be carrying your luggage through Venice which is doable but not ideal.

If you're looking for another hotel option, a couple of years ago we stayed at the Hotel Palazzo Sant'Angelo which is on the Grand Canal close to Rialto. It was a small boutique hotel. We enjoyed it quite a bit.

We will likely start with the host as that would be the easiest option. But I did a little research last night because I figured we can't be the only people visiting Venice with this exact same problem and found there is actually left-luggage storage at the port for something like 7 Eur per bag for 24 hours so that could be our backup option until we could check in at our apartment. I'm leaning more towards that over a hotel just because it seems like we can get a nice place for less than a hotel per night and still be near all of the action. But thank you for the additional hotel suggestions as we haven't committed to anything yet so I'll check them out!

Ok, I am only up to page 8... making notes as I go.... 2 BIG things I need to ask everyone....

1) Where to stay before the cruise, I can probably come in 2 nights early, would love to have a couple of days to ROME around....

2) I would love to see The David and see The Last Supper during this trip, but I don't know how to do all the logistics! Anyone else going to those two destinations during this trip?

3) Does Italy have Uber?

Ok, I am only up to page 8... making notes as I go.... 2 BIG things I need to ask everyone....

1) Where to stay before the cruise, I can probably come in 2 nights early, would love to have a couple of days to ROME around....

2) I would love to see The David and see The Last Supper during this trip, but I don't know how to do all the logistics! Anyone else going to those two destinations during this trip?

3) Does Italy have Uber?

did you mean 3 big things or are we to guess which 2 of the 3 are the big ones? :D

I am not sure of the later 2 questions, but for the first one I think many people are staying at the Sina Bernini Bristol in Rome (I know we are)

The David is in Florence and the Last Supper is in Milan. Both would require a long-ish train ride to get to. With so much to see in Rome itself I wouldn't spend the time traveling to the other cities.

The David is in Florence and the Last Supper is in Milan. Both would require a long-ish train ride to get to. With so much to see in Rome itself I wouldn't spend the time traveling to the other cities.
Agree with this post

I found the last supper moving but I wouldn't do day trips from Rome they are several hours away. Take the ABD Italy and Switzerland and pre night in Milan :)

did you mean 3 big things or are we to guess which 2 of the 3 are the big ones? :D

I am not sure of the later 2 questions, but for the first one I think many people are staying at the Sina Bernini Bristol in Rome (I know we are)

I came up with the 3rd question in the middle, hence the 2, when I asked 3 :)

So, why that particular hotel?

So, why that particular hotel?
Assuming you're asking about the Rome hotel, we are staying at the Bernini Bristol because we stayed there on our Viva Italia ABD trip a couple of years ago. Loved the hotel and its location. Many of the same people on that ABD are also on this cruise so we will probably see a lot of familiar faces there.

I believe it is where people stayed as part of the italy ABD so they know it is good and it is in a good location

Assuming you're asking about the Rome hotel, we are staying at the Bernini Bristol because we stayed there on our Viva Italia ABD trip a couple of years ago. Loved the hotel and its location. Many of the same people on that ABD are also on this cruise so we will probably see a lot of familiar faces there.

What they said! We stayed there on our ABD and it was a nice hotel in a great location.

We're also staying ate the Bernini Bristol. We haven't stayed there before, but it looks like it's in walking distance to the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain.

And I agree with what others have said about the David and Last Supper. While both are remarkable, I wouldn't travel from Rome or Venice to see them. If you do plan on seeing the Last Supper this trip or another time, you need to either arrange a private tour or buy tickets ahead of time. Rome and Venice are jam packed with bucket-list items.

We're also staying ate the Bernini Bristol. We haven't stayed there before, but it looks like it's in walking distance to the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain.

And I agree with what others have said about the David and Last Supper. While both are remarkable, I wouldn't travel from Rome or Venice to see them. If you do plan on seeing the Last Supper this trip or another time, you need to either arrange a private tour or buy tickets ahead of time. Rome and Venice are jam packed with bucket-list items.

Makes sense! What date is everyone arriving? The 22nd? Are you all going to the Vatican also? How long it take to get to the Vatican?

Thanks!

For those of you bringing cameras what camera gear are you going to bring? I figure a Sony A9 with 24-70mm f2.8 and the Sony 12-24mm f4 and a RX100V (and of course the iPhone 8) would be resonable.... Could bring much more... But then it would probably bee too much for sure! Moderation in all things... except moderation :)

Makes sense! What date is everyone arriving? The 22nd? Are you all going to the Vatican also? How long it take to get to the Vatican?

Thanks!

We're arriving the 21st. As far as the Vatican goes, some of us are taking this tour:

...on the 24th (morning of the cruise). It tours the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica and the Crypt early in the morning to minimize the crowds.

As far as camera goes... not sure, but probably my Nikon D7100 with 1 or 2 lenses and my iPhone 8 ;)

I arrive on the am of the 21st. Use a canon t4i with a 18-135 STM and a 55-250. also have polarizer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts