DIS/Dreams Unlimited China Adventure Oct 14th - 25th 2017 SOLD OUT!!!

I was wondering if you were signed, sealed, delivered..... It does not sound as if it has been a smooth journey by your remark. Our paperwork is at CIBT.....here's hoping that I filled everything in correctly and they like the way that I cropped the pictures.

Chris
We thought we were. Not so much. I don't like being this close to a trip and just now finding out I may not be able to go. I told Michael he can go and shop for all the cute Disney stuff for me, but he didn't like the idea of going without me. Hoping and praying something can be done.

Hopefully you will be good. They responded quickly to us when the pictures we sent wouldn't work.

OK - we're taking over Country Kitchen! Maybe not quite.

Here's the list so far -

Kevin (me) & Kate - 2
Chandra - 1
Chris, Chuck & Amy - 3
Ian & Diane - 2
Lauri & Brian - 2
Michael & Cynthia - 2
Jim & Linda - 2

So 14 so far. I've already made a reservation for 12, but I have discussed adding more. I don't think it will be a problem. I'll wait to see if anyone else wants to join in.

As a group we must meet a minimum of 4600 RMB for food (of course it can be more but that is what's required). Divided by 14 and converting to US$, that's a minimum of $49 per person on food. Drinks do not apply towards minimum. We also must pay on one bill. So, it will be best for everyone to bring cash/RMB to pay together. Once I get a final head count, I'll let everyone know the exact minimum RMB per person.

***Can everyone let me know if this is ok?

She gave me the option of having a la cart or a set menu (not sure if its family style or buffet). The set menu is around 6 apps and 6 mains. One of the menus is 460 RMB pp. The other is 560 RMB. I told her we preferred a la cart that way people can just order what they want, but let me know if there is a strong opinion.

And the reservation is at 7:00pm on Oct 20th.

Sounds great Kevin! Thanks for organizing!

Edited to add - no opinions about the menu. I figure this trip is all about trying things!

Laurie

Last edited:

Hello! I haven't checked the thread for a while. After reading all the messages about the Visa application, I am seriously considering driving down to the consulate in San Francisco and making application. I wish I knew someone who has been to China and completed the application. Frankly, with the trip in less than two months I'm surprised we've heard so little about it, but I've never traveled internationally with ABD. A while back I proposed us getting together on Google Hangout to chat about the trip. Rather than taking more time to learn about Google Hangout, I am thinking it may be easier if we all just jumped onto Skype. We use it to record the Disneyland show and Connecting with Walt, and I use it to talk with friends and family domestically and internationally. If I can figure it out, pretty much anyone can. Also, Skype allows us to actually talk with each other rather than typing our conversation which may be more convenient - but troublesome as we will inadvertently step on each other. I have questions about the Visa application, travel insurance for the Tokyo leg of the trip, currency, power converters, packing tips, etc. Pretty much all the things I thought we'd be getting advice on by now.

Would folks like to get together for a Skype call on Sunday, August 20 at 12 noon (PDT)? This should be a fairly convenient time in all time zones. If you don't already have Skype, you can download it and set up an account fairly quickly. Then search for my name. I'll accept the calls as they come in. I'll log on a bit early. If this time isn't convenient for some folks, we'll schedule another time with more advance notice.

Oh, I don't know what Country Kitchen is, but I'm willing to find out if it's not too late to join.

I'm looking forward to chatting with those who join in on Skype this Sunday.

Kevin - 2
Chandra - 1
Chris - 3

I'll wait a bit to see who else would like to join, but otherwise will probably book a table for 10 or 12 the 2nd night around 7:00pm if that sounds ok. We can modify it as needed.

Kevin,

Could you add Tami and I to the list as well?

We also signed up for the Tongli Water town tour on the 25th, too. We only booked one post day and are leaving in the evening on the the 26th.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hello! I haven't checked the thread for a while. After reading all the messages about the Visa application, I am seriously considering driving down to the consulate in San Francisco and making application. I wish I knew someone who has been to China and completed the application. Frankly, with the trip in less than two months I'm surprised we've heard so little about it, but I've never traveled internationally with ABD. A while back I proposed us getting together on Google Hangout to chat about the trip. Rather than taking more time to learn about Google Hangout, I am thinking it may be easier if we all just jumped onto Skype. We use it to record the Disneyland show and Connecting with Walt, and I use it to talk with friends and family domestically and internationally. If I can figure it out, pretty much anyone can. Also, Skype allows us to actually talk with each other rather than typing our conversation which may be more convenient - but troublesome as we will inadvertently step on each other. I have questions about the Visa application, travel insurance for the Tokyo leg of the trip, currency, power converters, packing tips, etc. Pretty much all the things I thought we'd be getting advice on by now.

Would folks like to get together for a Skype call on Sunday, August 20 at 12 noon (PDT)? This should be a fairly convenient time in all time zones. If you don't already have Skype, you can download it and set up an account fairly quickly. Then search for my name. I'll accept the calls as they come in. I'll log on a bit early. If this time isn't convenient for some folks, we'll schedule another time with more advance notice.

Oh, I don't know what Country Kitchen is, but I'm willing to find out if it's not too late to join.

Hi Michael
Not sure how much help we'll be, living in the UK but it would be nice to put faces to names.
Hopefully we can attend, what name should we search for as there seems to be a lot of people with your name?
Ian&Diane

Michael,
I would love to join the skype discussion however 1pm your time would be better for me. I am going to the theater Sunday afternoon to watch an American in Paris. I would probably be late joining at either time but would have a better chance catching more of the discussion at the later time.

Chandra

A CIBT price update for those looking into this option. Good news, I an email from CIBT saying our visas were approved and being mailed back! We should get them Monday. Bad news, it was more expensive than I expected.

The exact breakdown for those looking at prices is:
China Tourist Visa 10yrs $140pp
Standard service fee $139pp
Document Prep fee add on $75pp
Digital photo fee add on $25pp
UPS Next Day $42
Consular Processing Fee $16
Inbound shipping label $38
Passport Replacement Coverage? $40pp (I didn't select this, but it was added on. I'm guessing because I requested a 10yr Visa)

So for 2 people it was $900+ without the discount. The Document prep fee and passport replacement are about the only things that are avoidable. If anyone has specific questions on the application, or what to fill in where let me know. If you can make it to a consulate yourself, there's no reason to pay these crazy fees.

However, I'm glad I did for us. I would have had a hard time making it to the consulate. On top of that, as some of you know from Facebook, my car was totaled by a valet driver on Thursday... so whatever little free time during the week I had went right out the window.

Not to get off on a tangent, but this has been a minor grievance of mine with ABD. It would be helpful if they provided an FAQ email on applying for and acquiring these visas. Obviously there's a lot of confusion and uncertainty here about specific questions. I went through a similar stressful process traveling as a solo parent with my son to South Africa earlier this year. S. Africa (unlike any other country I've been to) will refuse you entry unless you have their specific and confusing form filled out by the other parent along with the correct supporting documents. It was stressful and ultimately another DISBoard member helped me fill everything out correctly. ABD provided a warning for solo parents that SA is strict and they weren't liable if you are refused entry for not having correctly filled out documentation. Aside from that, you were pretty much on your own to research it and figure the requirements out.

Kevin,

Could you add Tami and I to the list as well?

We also signed up for the Tongli Water town tour on the 25th, too. We only booked one post day and are leaving in the evening on the the 26th.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Great! Do you know if we are going together to Tongli or are they running a 2nd tour at the same time?

The passport replacement coverage was a box that you had to opt out of, otherwise it was automatically added. I know that I opted out but we'll see if they honored that.

Chris

The default of opt-in for added service charges is one of the chief complaints of folks who have used CIBT. I don't mind doing business with a company that list their charges up front so that I can make an informed decision. CIBT appears to be a business that likes to make a customer guess about what the final bill will be.

Hi Michael
Not sure how much help we'll be, living in the UK but it would be nice to put faces to names.
Hopefully we can attend, what name should we search for as there seems to be a lot of people with your name?
Ian&Diane

Search for the name Michael Bowling California. Michael's account should show up. His address is mouseketeer.michael (I think).

Last edited:
Kevin...am I too late to be added to the Country Kitchen reservation? I somehow missed all these posts the last few days. Must have been preoccupied with all the Bisa application nonsense. I am not having fun with that.

Will try to figure out Skype for this afternoon! Seem to be a bunch of Michael Bowlings in CA when I searched. Which city?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter