"Direct" does not = "Non-Stop"

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I notice many posts here on the Transportation board talking about "direct" flights when they really mean "non-stop". In the travel business there is a difference. A non-stop flight goes from point A to point B without an intervening stop. A direct flight goes from point A to point C and then on to point B. What makes that different from a connecting flight is that you don't get of the aircraft at point C.

Be sure you understand the difference when booking flights, especially on some of the non-legacy carriers so you don't get surprised on your trip.

Good advice. I too have noticed that many here do not seem to understand the diffference.

A non-stop is always direct - it goes from departure airport to destination airport with no change of plane and no stops.

Direct means no change of plane between departure airport and final destination. There can be stops in between. A direct flight can be a non stop flight, but it does not have to be (by definition).

Even though by definition a direct flight makes a stop with no change in plane, the reality is many times there is an "equipment change" and you do end up having to get off and go to another gate, just like a connection. I've seen this on USAir, Delta and Northwest. I've seen cases where the first flight is delayed and they end up flying the second flight with a different plane. So it doesn't keep you safe from missing the second flight.

Hmmm... I recall the last time that one of the regulars posted this vital piece of information they were resoundly bashed by at least one reader. (Debbie, I cannot recall if it was you, or NotUrsula, who received an undeserved flame)

To the OP, THANK YOU for clarifiying what is an important piece of information and which is often misused here. Misuse of the term with an airline agent may result in extreme disappointment for the passenger.

Even though by definition a direct flight makes a stop with no change in plane, the reality is many times there is an "equipment change" and you do end up having to get off and go to another gate, just like a connection.

Yes, technically a direct flight is just a single flight number that covers multiple segments. Most of the time you will not have to change planes but sometimes the equipment change is planned into the schedule from the beginning.

Continuing in the same vein;
Adjoining does not = connecting

In hotels, a connecting room is one where there is a door to the room next to you inside the room. An adjoining room merely means the two rooms are next to each other - there is no door between the two.

Even though by definition a direct flight makes a stop with no change in plane, the reality is many times there is an "equipment change" and you do end up having to get off and go to another gate, just like a connection. I've seen this on USAir, Delta and Northwest. I've seen cases where the first flight is delayed and they end up flying the second flight with a different plane. So it doesn't keep you safe from missing the second flight.

I just took a "direct" flight from Orlando to Paris....

Or course you have to get off at terminal A in Atlanta and HOOF it to terminal E because it's NOT the same plane, (Never will be LOL!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter