Dining Plan - doing the Math

The dining plan also saved us a TON of money. We got on Deb's site and picked out restaurants that we truly wanted to eat at during our trip - CS and TS. Then we looked at the menus and added up the total for the things that we would normally really want to order. We added all that up, and it was almost $400 more than what we could get on the dining plan. We booked through AAA, so we saved about 20% off the total package as well.

We did the math as well and for our family of 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 infants the DP was the way to go free. If you are at a value for 99.00 a night, the AP purchase price, plus the less cost of 30.00 a day for room discount, but add in the food which in one sitting can easily add up to 30.00, it just wasnt worth it. So we are all on the free dinning plan at 99.00 a day for room and food. I love not worrying about the cost of the food, the kids wanting dessert, being able to do MORE character dining than we otherwise would do...We are also going to the Luau this time because we will be two days at Universal so we can save two TS meals for the Luau.

ms.ojo said:
Now if free dining were to be extended again into Oct or Nov I would DEFINITELY book a MYW pkg and go for a quick trip before our next big planned trip in April 2007. :love: (I can't book in Aug/Sept unfortunately and take advantage of the current pkg)

Just another note, last year they did offer quite a discount on packages including the DP in November.. (I don't remember the full length of the promotion.) While it wasn't 'free' dining it was still a lot better than paying the $99 rack rate for regular season plus dining.

And I completely agree with everyone that says it is worth it. I've taken 2 short trips with a friend since our family trip in Nov. In February we didn't eat a single TS meal because of wanting to be frugal (at WDW, ha!) and in May we ate at Marrakesh and Sci-Fi Dine In for dinner and I was very concerned with cost, which kept me from ordering what I would have on the DP. It's not that I didn't have enough money to splurge on either trip (in fact, the February trip was my treat and I was in a splurging mood)-- but I just have trouble not worrying about it if it's not already covered. I'm a worrier, I grew up without a lot, I'm that person that everyone knows who goes and puts back a couple of items right before they make it to the checkout at the store-- it's ingrained. So, the DP was SUCH a relief, I could just eat without staring at my entree and pondering what I could skip buying to justify my dinner. :rolleyes: :goodvibes

We went last year without the dining plan and just returned with the dining plan. Let me just say that we spent about the same amount of money, but we really enjoyed this trip so much more. (Last year, it was mostly counter meals and only a few sit-down meals).

We went to the food court our first night there, and just for four hamburger combos it was $54.00. We ate and ate and ate more. We don't usually eat appetizers and desserts at home, but this was our vacation. I think we saved $400-$500 being on the dining plan.

Now, if we were paying OOP, we wouldn't order the appetizer and dessert, so technically we probably didn't really save any money, but it was so nice not worrying about money and did we stick with our budget for the day. I could order what I wanted and I didn't have to worry if the kids ordered something that I knew they would never eat. The kids tried new things that they would never try at home and I would never want to pay for since I knew it wouldn't be eaten.

So, for me, it wasn't about saving money. I knew I could do that on my own. It was about convenience and enjoyability. I enjoyed myself so much more this year than last year. The kids enjoyed themselves because I let them have whatever they "think" they wanted.

Also, don't forget that the dining plan includes tip and tax. For $100 meal, that's $18.00 tip and $6.50 tax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter