Digital vs film cameras

What type of camera do you use most often?

• Digital

• Film

• Digital SLR

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have been digital since a very early Epson digital I got in the early nineties. I use a Nikon D70 as my main camera with a Nikon Coolpix 7900 as a backup pocket camera. Both are better cameras than I am a photographer so until I catch up with them they will do me fine.

I had an Epson 3000 and 3100. They were both great cameras but didn't realize how slow they were until I got my Nikon and Olympus digitals.

The D70 has been on my wish list but reality got in the way. I can't wait to get that camera.

Digital for sure. I don't even own a film camera anymore. I had waaaayyy too many wasted shots with film. Plus I am addicted to being able to see my results immediately and reshoot until I get a good shot.

ETA - My Olympus C-3000 broke last year at a Liberty Tree Tavern character dinner :rolleyes2, and for now we are using a Fuji S3000. It has a pretty good optical zoom, but it's capabilities in low lighting are not great unless the camera is perfectly still.

I started out (in 1972) on a totally manual SLR (Pentax Spotmatic). Then I bought a digital Kodak DC 4800 (pretty good camera) but was missing the SLR capabilities.

We just bit the bullet and bought the Nikon D70S. That camera has more doo-dads than I know what to do with!! I refuse to shoot in "auto" mode. Can't use that camera like a point and click. But there is so much to learn.

I am enjoying reading the Nikonian boards (lots of nice folks like here) and am learning a lot there. Hope to learn a lot here! This is so great to start this board for me!! (just kidding) (sort of).

I'm like you, Muushka. The first camera I ever purchased was a Minolta X-700 over 20 years ago. I love that camera but finally gave in last year and purchased a Canon Powershot A-80 for the size convenience. I like the ability to see what pictures I have taken immediately after shooting but I detest the shutter delay and I miss my ultra zoom lens. I know those problems would be solved if I purchased a digital SLR but I just can't quite outlay that much $$ yet. I'll be eager to see what others say about the new digital SLRs that are below the $1000 price point. Thanks for setting up this new board!

It really depends on what I am shooting. The majority of my sports and event photography has gone digital SLR where I use a Nikon D100 and a D70s with plans to move to the D2X by the beginning of next year. For landscape photography I still rely on film and I use the Nikon F100. I'd love to try my hand at medium format but too many toys and not enough time. Digital is great and the workflow is a lot less toxic than the chemical darkroom but there is still something magical about watching an image come alive in a tray of chemicals.

Jeff

Having once had a Canon EOS-1 and EOS-5, I converted to digital a few years ago and have not regretted it once :)

My large film SLRs used to sit in their nice aluminium cases only seeing he light of day when I could be bothered to get them out and carry them with me.
I even had my own little darkroom in the attic where I did a bit of black and white developing and printing.

Now with digital, I have my camera(s) with me nearly all the time. I'm taking so many more photos - which at the end of the day whether you use film or digital taking loads of photos is what it's all about :)
It's also much nicer to sit in front of my PC and play around in PhotoShop CS2 than stand in my darkroom with all the chemicals :)

I use a Nikon D70 with a firmware upgrade to D70S for most of my work, and a Minolta DiMage Z-1 as a "pocket camera". I've also got a couple 35mmSLR's (both Minolta) and a Samsung 35mm non-SLR.

My primary camera is the Nikon. I use that pretty much exclusively for my professional work, although just for grins and giggles pull out the DiMage for "fun" after the work is done with the pro gigs.

Tomorrow night I'm booked to shoot a band, I'll use the Nikon for the stage work, but very likely will switch to the DiMage for any candids I do offstage. The DiMage is lightweight and "manueverable" in tight, faced paced places (like dressing rooms) that the Nikon can be cumbersome to use. It 100% depends on the available lighting though. I do not use flash for this type of photography.

Additionally, graphics people and photo editors much prefer digital, as there is no degradation like there can be with moving film to digital via scanner.

Anne

I probably use both 50/50. MY SLR is a Nikon 2020 and I love the pictures it takes, I can't give it up. I also love my digital Nikon coolpix880. I find that I use them both most places I go, but I see I am starting to take my digital when I don't want to carry the SLR, so I might be going toward that more in the future.

have been for a few years. My first digital was HP850 and I loved it. It took amazing pics but then it died. And they could not fix it. So sad. So now I have the Canon XT and love love it!

I am a junky for seeing my pics the minute I get home, making collages, painting out people in the background....l love digital and havent touched my film camera in several years.

AZ JazzyJ said:
Digital is great and the workflow is a lot less toxic than the chemical darkroom but there is still something magical about watching an image come alive in a tray of chemicals.

Jeff

I have to agree - I wish I could have the chemical smell when I am working in Photoshop! Make me feel like I was really creating again!

I use the Canon 1D series for the digital and when I have the urge to use Velvia, I use the Canon 1 film body.

Honestly, the parks are so photogenic, that you can get great shots even with a pinhole camera......

We have both film & digital in our collection. Husband (Beauregard!) likes to still use both, but I prefer the digital.

safetymom said:
The D70 has been on my wish list but reality got in the way. I can't wait to get that camera.

Safetymom, save your pennies .. it is worth every pennY!!

I am embarrased to say that I am still using film.

I am just so overwhelmed by what digital camera to buy that I cannot make a decision. I don't want slow shutter speed. I don't know what to buy and don't have lots of $$$$ to spend.

I went from an HP PhotoSmart 1.1 MP with No Zoom to a Digital Rebel :-)

The DRebel is the only camera I own, and the only one I use :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter