dietary needs- buffets

Mrs~Incredible

Mouseketeer
My DH will have some special dietary needs when we travel to WDW this fall.

I imagine that most table service places will be able to accommodate, but I'm a bit worried about the buffets and wondering if we should avoid them...

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks!

I guess if there was more specific info as to what his dietary needs will be it might help with more specific input -- is he diabetic, dialysis, post gastric bypass -- every medical situation might need different dietary restrictions.

I think with those restrictions he should have a good amount of flexibility at buffets. If there is any question on ingredients I am sure the CMs or chefs can inform you. Probably your best bet is to look over the menus before committing to a restaurant. Likely need to stay away from Mexican and African themed foods.

Specific spices or all food must have no seasoning whatsoever?

Call in and have it listed on your ADR. When you get to the restaurant, remind the check in person that you have a member of your party with dietary restrictions. Since those aren't on the Top 8 allergen list, a chef ahould come out to discuss safe options and can get food made in the back without seasonings.

Disney does really will with allergies/dietary restrictions. I have over 10 allergies incuding garlic and mustard and eat very well at Disney.

When you arrive at each buffet they can get a chef to walk you through the buffet and show you which foods are OK and which to avoid. They do this all the time for various food allergies.

Put in on all your ADR's and they ask to speak to the chef and they will handle it from there. I am allergic to coconut of all things... no coconut products for me either, so I have to be careful and if I am unsure of something I ask and they have the chef come out and talk to me and tell me what my options are, at the QS serves they have a book that I have looked at to be sure no coconut water or milk or whatever is added in the dressings, sauces, or desserts.

Disney does a great job on this, for goodness sake don't be shy and ask to see the chef...

Just ask for a chef and he will walk around with your DH and tell him what to avoid.
We have done that with DGD several times for her allergies.

Since the dietary restrictions are beyond the usual allergens and are common ingredients in savory foods, it's best to contact Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com. They will be able to let you know which restaurants can best accommodate your DH's needs and will also let chefs know of the restrictions in advance.

Specific spices or all food must have no seasoning whatsoever?
He will not be allowed to have pepper (red pepper/black pepper/white pepper/any vegetable pepper even bell peppers), curry or any acidic-spicy sauces/marinades.... I think garlic in moderation is ok.

I think for the most part we will be ok with table service- luckily we can see menus ahead of time to choose items on the blander side.

For the buffets,we can pick some with dishes that look more mild and then ask the server/chef if we have any more questions.

Thank you everyone for your input!

We both love food- living within the guidelines of a new restriction will be challenging (as many of you already know) but I think we can have an awesome trip with good eats!!

We avoid a pretty extensive list of foods and have found that the buffets are generally our best options for dining because they have so many more ingredients to work with. They can prepare foods in the back for you without the things you are avoiding if there aren't enough safe options on the buffet.

Last edited:
I have one family member who has a dairy allergy and also can't have any hot spices like black pepper and another family member who can barely have any salt. We eat all our meals TS and have been to mostly breakfast buffets but also go to Boma for dinner and have even been to dinner shows. Disney is so great with allergies. You will have to note other when making ADRs and a chef will come out and walk the allergy person around the buffet and then can prepare things in the back. At Boma they made whatever meat my family members wanted as they always have some that have not been marinated yet and they got a baked potato and steamed veggies.

I have one family member who has a dairy allergy and also can't have any hot spices like black pepper and another family member who can barely have any salt. We eat all our meals TS and have been to mostly breakfast buffets but also go to Boma for dinner and have even been to dinner shows. Disney is so great with allergies. You will have to note other when making ADRs and a chef will come out and walk the allergy person around the buffet and then can prepare things in the back. At Boma they made whatever meat my family members wanted as they always have some that have not been marinated yet and they got a baked potato and steamed veggies.
That is awesome news, thank you for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts