Did any famous celebrities get their starts playing characters at Walt Disney World?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
My mom and I were having a interesting discussion about if any celebrities got their starts playing characters at Walt Disney World and I was just curious if there were any celebrities playing characters? I do remember reading in my copies of Bop and Tiger Beat that Kevin Richardson of Backstreet Boys was the first ever Aladdin character at Walt Disney World before making it big in Backstreet Boys. Also I read that Wayne Brady got his start playing characters at Walt Disney World too

I do remember seeing Wayne Brady playing a pirate character on the Disney Sing-Along Songs video Beach Party At Walt Disney World in the scene where the kids are on a pirate ship and the pirates sang a song. Is that really Wayne Brady as a pirate character? Mom also said that Mario Lopez played a character at Walt Disney World as well but she can't recall what character he played that helped him get his start in acting

According to research online the following worked at Disney:
---Michelle Pfeiffer performed in DL Main Street Electrical Parade;
---Robin Williams was DL Jungle Cruise Skipper (such perfect casting!);
---Steve Martin at DL selling guidebooks and twirled souvenir lassos before becoming a magician at the Magic Shop;
---Kevin Costner worked as a DL Jungle Cruise Skipper (where he met and married Cindy Silva who was a character actress);
---Richard Carpenter of the Carpenters played the piano on Main Street at DL;
---Wayne Brady worked at WDW as a character performer;
---Kevin Richardson (Backstreet Boys) was a WDW character performer and backstage tour guide; once played Aladdin and TMNT at DL;

[Source w/pictures: https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2020...ore-they-were-famous-heres-where-they-worked/]

Found elsewhere on the 'net:
---Kathryn Joosten (Desperate Housewives) worked at MGM Studios now Hollywood Studios as a street performer;
---Joanna Kerns worked as an actress and took on the role of the Blue Fairy in the Main Street Electrical Parade;
---Ronald Reagan welcomed guests on the opening day at DL;
---Alyson Reed before being on the Disney Channel original High School Musical played Alice in Wonderland at DL;
---Terri Garr played the Statue of Liberty in Disney's Summer Spectacular Show in 1970 and at DL as a dancer in the parades;
---Colleen Ballinger (from Miranda Sings) was a performer at DL in the "High School Musical" parade and Playhouse Disney show;
---Taboo of Black Eyed Peas was a DL janitor before becoming a rapper;
---Sarah Butler of "I Want to Spit on Your Grave" fame and CSI Miami played Belle at DL;
---Leanza Cornett (Miss America 1993) in 1991 was the first actress to play the Little Mermaid at WDW;
---Ron Ziegler (Nixon's White House Press Secretary) worked as a DL Jungle Cruise skipper;
---Alexis Mateo (a RuPaul's Drag Race contestant) worked at WDW for 5 years as a character and dancer;
---John McEuen (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band) worked at DL at the same time as Steve Martin;
---Kara Monaco was Alice, Ariel, Cinderella and Snow White at WDW before becoming a Playboy Playmate;

Elsewhere:
---Taye Diggs worked at Tokyo DL
---Jennifer Hudson performed on the DCL

I'm sure there are more!

I remember that former Deal Or No Deal model Sara Bronson got her start playing characters at Walt Disney World as well as Disneyland and among the characters she played were two of the Seven Dwarfs from Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs and Tigger Goofy and Donald Duck and then moved to Disneyland where she performed in Disney's Electrical Parade which led Sara Bronson to audition for Deal Or No Deal as briefcase model #7

According to research online the following worked at Disney:
---Michelle Pfeiffer performed in DL Main Street Electrical Parade;
---Robin Williams was DL Jungle Cruise Skipper (such perfect casting!);
---Steve Martin at DL selling guidebooks and twirled souvenir lassos before becoming a magician at the Magic Shop;
---Kevin Costner worked as a DL Jungle Cruise Skipper (where he met and married Cindy Silva who was a character actress);
---Richard Carpenter of the Carpenters played the piano on Main Street at DL;
---Wayne Brady worked at WDW as a character performer;
---Kevin Richardson (Backstreet Boys) was a WDW character performer and backstage tour guide; once played Aladdin and TMNT at DL;

[Source w/pictures: https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2020...ore-they-were-famous-heres-where-they-worked/]

Found elsewhere on the 'net:
---Kathryn Joosten (Desperate Housewives) worked at MGM Studios now Hollywood Studios as a street performer;
---Joanna Kerns worked as an actress and took on the role of the Blue Fairy in the Main Street Electrical Parade;
---Ronald Reagan welcomed guests on the opening day at DL;
---Alyson Reed before being on the Disney Channel original High School Musical played Alice in Wonderland at DL;
---Terri Garr played the Statue of Liberty in Disney's Summer Spectacular Show in 1970 and at DL as a dancer in the parades;
---Colleen Ballinger (from Miranda Sings) was a performer at DL in the "High School Musical" parade and Playhouse Disney show;
---Taboo of Black Eyed Peas was a DL janitor before becoming a rapper;
---Sarah Butler of "I Want to Spit on Your Grave" fame and CSI Miami played Belle at DL;
---Leanza Cornett (Miss America 1993) in 1991 was the first actress to play the Little Mermaid at WDW;
---Ron Ziegler (Nixon's White House Press Secretary) worked as a DL Jungle Cruise skipper;
---Alexis Mateo (a RuPaul's Drag Race contestant) worked at WDW for 5 years as a character and dancer;
---John McEuen (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band) worked at DL at the same time as Steve Martin;
---Kara Monaco was Alice, Ariel, Cinderella and Snow White at WDW before becoming a Playboy Playmate;

Elsewhere:
---Taye Diggs worked at Tokyo DL
---Jennifer Hudson performed on the DCL

I'm sure there are more!
I had seen the Kathryn Joosten reference and I wish I had paid more attention when I was there. I LOVE streetmosphere (and KJ) and can see how she'd fit in perfectly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter