diapers in hotel rooms...what do you do with them?

Three must haves on any trip (pack 'em or include them on grocery delivery):

1. Gallon size Ziplocks: use for extra snacks, wet clothes, wet ponchos, half eaten lollipops, smelly trash like dirty diapers, extra clothes in the park -- just squeeze out the air. 101 uses!

2. Large kitchen trash bags -- bring smelly trash out of your room and find a trash can on the way to the parks. Also expands the mini room trash can, holds wet towels to go back to housekeeping instead of the floor, acts as a dirty clothes bag, etc. Even on solo business trips, I bring two per day.

3. Pump liquid hand soap (see # 1 and 2 above). Best.tip.ever.

When DS was in diapers, I took a gallon size ziplock and added a clean diaper and a disposable pad (available near adult incontinence items). If you want to get fancy add a small ziplock sealed with 3-5 wipes (they stay moist in a small sealed bag). Squeeze the air out and add several diaper kits to your park bag, backpack, stroller bin, etc. Makes change time in the parks much easier!

When it's time for a change, grab your ziplock/wipes, remove pad and clean diaper. Dirty diaper, wipes, and used changing pad go back in gallon ziplock for disposal. Great for hotel rooms, cars, parks, etc.

If in the room, put Ziplock in trash bag to go out with you (or give to housekeeping at turndown).

Please don't flush diapers or wipes. Like most hotel room rules, if you wouldn't do it at home, please don't do it elsewhere!

Last edited:
I just use those Munchkin brand scented bags for #2 diapers. They've always worked fine. I bring enough kitchen trash bags that I have one each day just for diapers. I leave it next to the bathroom trash every morning and it always gets taken.

Oh, and never, ever flush a diaper!

It may help to empty the diaper into the toilet and flush it down, and then tie up the "empty" diaper in either a ziploc, grocery store, or scented bags.:thumbsup2

Dump the poop in the toilet, and then tie up the diaper in a plastic bag like the ones already mentioned.

Like these posters said, flushing the waste is not only a good idea, you will see it is strongly recommended on the diaper box (we are actually not supposed to send human waste to landfills). As a cloth diaperer, we refer to that type of poop as "ploppable", meaning you just take the diaper and turn it upside down and the solids just plop into the toilet. No mess, no contact with the poop, and the diapers don't smell up the room! It's a win all around!

However, do not ever flush an entire diaper as the previous poster suggested! It is bad for the environment and a great way to clog up your toilet and risk an overflow of human waste into your hotel room. :crazy2::scared1::confused:

Agree with most of the pp with scented bags and/or ziplocks. Dump any solids into the toilet and bag up the diaper.
Please don't flush them as was suggested above!!

Have a great trip!!! :)

lol the original post is over 10 years old. I suspect the person who suggested flushing a diaper was just trolling

It may help to empty the diaper into the toilet and flush it down, and then tie up the "empty" diaper in either a ziploc, grocery store, or scented bags.:thumbsup2

This Is what we use to do in our diaper days! Not with our first, it took us a while for that to click. We even did it at home. I didn't have a diaper genie and I still wrapped them in the blue scented bags.

Also not to be mean but we put th diapers in a garbage that was emptied more frequently.

Honestly, we flush them. This is the first time I have admitted it thanks to the anonymity of the internet, but super stinky diapers get flushed down our hotel room toilet. This started about 4 years ago when we had only 2 children (4 now). We were in Chicago staying at a cheap hotel with outdoor entry, it was snowing and subzero temps. We were driving to see family in Cleveland when the weather made us stop unexpectedly and take a hotel room. My wife had changed both kids as she was getting them ready for bed. Both diapers went in the room garbage as usual. This is still how we dispose of most hotel room diapers, but after about 2 hours the smell coming from my oldest sons diaper, around 3 then, was unbelievable. I bundled up to go find an outdoor trash to throw the stinky diaper in, but after failing to find one and almost freezing, i headed back to the room with diaper in-hand. Stinky diaper joined the other diaper once again in the trash, but only for less than an hour. I wanted to open the front door and throw it out, but my wife wouldn't allow it. So, i came to the conclusion that we would unroll the stinky diaper bomb and flush it. We had never unrolled one before, or since, it was a poop smelling nightmare. I flattened it out and put it in with poopside down and flushed. It disappeared immediately. Room started smelling better right away. Every since super stinky diapers go straight to the bathroom for flushing and not the trash can. I know, we are terrible. Try it, it works.

Not sure if this is real but I hope you realize you might be costing the hotel THOUSANDS in plumbing fees by doing this. I really hope you're joking.

with our trip fast approaching, I'm thinking about things I've never really thought of before. lol. anyway, we will have two in diapers when we head to wdw next month. what do we do with poopy diapers when we are in our room? we certainly don't want to just throw them in the garbage in the room (ewww, stinky), but what do we do with them?

put them in a plastic bag and throw them in the outside trash cans. At our resort there were some near the ice machines, near the elevators, etc.

You know I never thought of this and we're at a DVC resort so we only get trash on Day 4. Ewwwww. :) I have those scented bags but I will probably take them right to an outdoor trash unless it's the middle of the night.

All DVC resorts have trashrooms (on every floor I believe). When you check in ask for the location or find out online before you go. In my experience they are usually centrally located either near an elevator or laundry room.

Bring bags from home. The last like 5 trips - there have never been bags in the garbage cans in the hotel rooms!

whoops - I just noticed this thread started in 2006!! hahaha guess my reply isn't relevant anymore!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter