DHS Construction update thread (Read Post 1) Updated 8/21/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's pretty unlikely that SWL is done by summer 2019. It just doesn't seem to be far enough along at this point unless they're going to kick it into a gear that we haven't seen them operate at previously.
Disagree.

No one knows for sure but from what I have read from others I would be surprised it SWL is open in WDW by summer of 2019 - maybe at DLR but not WDW. I think it is dangerous to plan around a projected opening time anyway. If the main thing for your next trip is SWL and you can only go in the summer, I would plan for summer of 2020

I think crowds for it will be absolutely insane - though I suspect they learned how popular these extra EMHs for Pandora have been and motivated people to stay on site so I suspect they will do something similar. I wouldn't be surprised if they figure out some hard ticketed event for the morning or something as well - so there will be ways to do to
DL is farther along and should be open by early 2019.

I would be pleasantly surprised if SWLand opens at the end of 2019. I am expecting 2020
No matter when it opens it will be insanely busy and I would not be surprised if they do charge to go into this new land for the first couple of months, like a hard ticket. They have to manage the crowds somehow
No reason to expect 2020 at this time.

I'm expecting 2020 too. I've seen many say so and it makes sense based on Disney's history.

You could go and skip DHS like we've done. You feel like there's plenty to do but you will be skipping it if you don't go at all anyway. We are pretty burnt out on most of the park nowadays.
Disney has said 2019 and there is no reason to believe otherwise right now. It's picked up lately.

Don't understand why so many are expecting SWL to open in 2020 when Disney has specifically said 2019.

ROL comes mind...lol. Also thinking of how long Pandora took. I know there's a bigger rush on SWL... But things can and do often go wrong. I woukd also hope that they'll take their time and make sure all the kinks are worked out - so it's not a repeat of FEA or even the problems they've already had with Pandoras rides.

ROL comes mind...lol. Also thinking of how long Pandora took. I know there's a bigger rush on SWL... But things can and do often go wrong. I woukd also hope that they'll take their time and make sure all the kinks are worked out - so it's not a repeat of FEA or even the problems they've already had with Pandoras rides.
This isn't RoL. They have only said 2019. That gives them 12 months to open. That's why they won't give an opening date yet.

Also what problems have they had with the Pandora rides? They've been some of the most reliable rides in WDW.

My point is I don't understand why it wouldn't open in 2019. There is nothing currently that suggests that.

It very well could be done by 2019. I hope it is and I would expect that they are going to do everything they can to get it open by then. But the empirical evidence of recent WDW projects is that they're just not great at hitting their dates. If the opening of SWL is going to be a key driver of when to take a trip to WDW, as it sounded like it was going to be for the OP of the thread that you merged, i'd recommend being skeptical about what Disney is saying at this point.

It very well could be done by 2019. I hope it is and I would expect that they are going to do everything they can to get it open by then. But the empirical evidence of recent WDW projects is that they're just not great at hitting their dates. If the opening of SWL is going to be a key driver of when to take a trip to WDW, as it sounded like it was going to be for the OP of the thread that you merged, i'd recommend being skeptical about what Disney is saying at this point.
Pandora hit its date. The only thing in the last year that didn't was RoL. One instance doesn't make me skeptical.

I merged because there is no sense in having 20 threads regarding the same things. Every day another when is SWL or TSL going to open thread starts.

This isn't RoL. They have only said 2019. That gives them 12 months to open. That's why they won't give an opening date yet.

Also what problems have they had with the Pandora rides? They've been some of the most reliable rides in WDW.

Um..there was an entire thread dedicated to breakdowns, several comments about the rides being down, the ride over heating to the point of triggering an alarm, people being evacuated...

Um..there was an entire thread dedicated to breakdowns, several comments about the rides being down, the ride over heating to the point of triggering an alarm, people being evacuated...
I'm very aware of what's going on with Pandora. The rides aren't breaking down that frequently. The beauty of the FoP is one thread can go down but it SWL till has 3 others to work with. Opening day for Pandora was nearly flawless with how well the rides operated.

Pandora hit its date. The only thing in the last year that didn't was RoL. One instance doesn't make me skeptical.

I merged because there is no sense in having 20 threads regarding the same things. Every day another when is SWL or TSL going to open thread starts.

they didn't hit their original 'date'. a few years out, they were talking about it being open in 2016.

they didn't hit their original 'date'. a few years out, they were talking about it being open in 2016.
Talking about and official dates are two different things. Disney started officially saying 2017 then later gave an actual date in 2017.

I'm very aware of what's going on with Pandora. The rides aren't breaking down that frequently. The beauty of the FoP is one thread can go down but it SWL till has 3 others to work with. Opening day for Pandora was nearly flawless with how well the rides operated.

I'm happy for their opening day success. But call me crazy I don't think brand new rides should be requiring evacuation due to overheating within a week or so of opening.

Talking about and official dates are two different things. Disney started officially saying 2017 then later gave an actual date in 2017.

dude, they published their official date three months out. again, that poster was looking for advice on how to plan a trip around that land opening. she said she only goes in the summer. and all that disney has said is 2019. which means anytime in 2019. you're telling her that she should just go ahead and run with that?

dude, they published their official date three months out. again, that poster was looking for advice on how to plan a trip around that land opening. she said she only goes in the summer. and all that disney has said is 2019. which means anytime in 2019. you're telling her that she should just go ahead and run with that?
Someone shouldn't plan a trip based on an opening. I'll always be the first to say that. That said I don't believe we should doubt Disney saying 2019 at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!