Dh wants me to cancel trip and wait for code. Good idea?

mama23babies

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I was so excited to book our trip this Dec 5-12. Then DH got wind of this code that's come out, a friend of ours got one. The goofy one, with dates that extend til the end of Nov. We've gotten two codes this year, neither of which we could use. And just days after we book our trip, people started getting this code, and we haven't received anything. So, DH thinks that it's because we've already booked. He thinks if we cancel then we might get something, and then we could rebook. I'm nervous.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Deb

I posted this on the resort board as well...

Hi all,

I was so excited to book our trip this Dec 5-12. Then DH got wind of this code that's come out, a friend of ours got one. The goofy one, with dates that extend til the end of Nov. We've gotten two codes this year, neither of which we could use. And just days after we book our trip, people started getting this code, and we haven't received anything. So, DH thinks that it's because we've already booked. He thinks if we cancel then we might get something, and then we could rebook. I'm nervous.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Deb

I would wait and see if you got a code and rebook for other dates or try to put the code on your existing ressie.

Hi, Deb, I moved your Resorts board post over here to Codes and Rates, and merged the two threads together. I'm sure you'll get some good info from our code experts! :)

I really don't see the benefit of cancelling the trip. The code fairies may or may not care that you cancel it. Many people have received codes even after booking trips. At least if it is booked you know you have something that works for you. If there is a public code released later or you get a pin code you can use all the better. Granted, you would have to rebook what is available with the pin or code but think of this... if what you want is not available with the pin or code you wouldn't be able to book it anyway so really there is no loss to book now.

For a package you'll have to plop down the $200 but any savings you get will be taken off your total price regardless. I would just keep your booking.

:thumbsup2

Get a AAA card. They aren't expensive, and they can really save on room rates. I've never understood why anyone would pay rack rate.
There are limits on room availability, but flexibility is the key. Now you can tell DH you have a AAA code. :laughing: (And if you're booking room only you don't have to deal with a AAA travel agent. You can do it yourself with CRO, over the phone.)

And about canceling and crossing your fingers...not a good idea. There is no guarantee you'll get any code at all, and if you do it very well may not work with your dates. A better idea is to keep an eye out for General Public codes. You can always apply a better one (if available) on your AAA room. :thumbsup2

Thanks for your help. I also feel like I'm safer keeping my ressie for now. I will look into the AAA card and see if that does anything. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'll be listening!

Thanks,

deb

Thanks for your help. I also feel like I'm safer keeping my ressie for now. I will look into the AAA card and see if that does anything. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'll be listening!

Thanks,

deb

Hi Deb,
Here's the scoop on AAA discounts: http://www.mousesavers.com/disneyresorts.html#AAA

If you scan down about 3/4 of the page, it tells the % off for each level of WDW hotels.

We had gotten a pin code a coupe of weeks ago and it wasn't for the dates we needed. Bummer! On a whim I called anyway this week. I gave my pin number to the reservationist and she said this number was good through 12-17 not 11-? like it read on the email. The pin said value and it was also good for mods and deluxes. I was quoted prices in each level. I took the value and it saved me $185. :cool1: My point, even if you get a pin code and its not what you need check anyways. I'd also keep the reservation and then change it if you get a pin code, etc. Happy Planning!

Lynn

I don't know how or why, but we receive all the pins. We are booked and paid for our trip in september. We also have the newest pin released. So I see no reason to cancel your reservation. I would call and see if by some chance you or your husband have a pin attached to your names. They send them out by snail mail and also by e-mail. I have heard of people who have found one in a rarely used e-mail account. Make sure you update all disney sites with a current e-mail. Good Luck. Oh and they usually wind up in your junk in box.

I had already had my trip booked for December, and I received a pin code. I just called and had them apply the code to my existing reservation - no problems. My brother had already had a trip booked for your exact dates, and he also received a pin code after the fact. So he did the same thing and called and had the code applied to his existing reservation. So already having your trip booked doesn't seem to affect the receiving of pin codes. Both of our emails said the dates were through the end of November, but the smaller print said that they were also good from 11/28 - 12/17.

Hi all,

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Deb

For what it is worth, we ALWAYS get codes when we don't have a trip booked and we NEVER get one when we do have a trip booked.

ALso wanted to add, we got a code when we had a reservation booked through AAA, which gives me pause to the idea that Disney is "blind" to the AAA bookings.

I'd keep your reservation....Just because you cancel it does not mean you wil get a code....I have only gotten one once, and my AAA discount wound up being better...I usually book through AAA, their package discount is pretty good, and IF you do get a code, they will apply it if it's better. I'd hate to see you cancel now and then not get a code, and what you wanted is no longer available.

because Disney is even hoping you may do a second trip. They don't know if you will cancel or apply the discount to existing reservations. I wouldn't go through it again.

If this turns into an argument, then I would cancel. Spouses can be stubborn, but I have never heard of this working for anyone to get a discount code. If it did it was coincidence.

Discounts (pin codes) have been earlier than in past years; so, I know everyone is more anxious. Typically, December codes are not released until September.

At least this year, I don't think it will matter so much about times getting booked up for December; so, it probably won't hurt to cancel, if it keeps peace between you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter