Dental advice needed...does my DD need a bridge?

I had one removed 25 years ago cant be seen and no issues

Same here, I had the bottom, second from back removed about that long ago. I was around 21 and had no dental (or medical for that matter) insurance. It wasn't until a few years later when I did have insurance that a dentist mentioned an implant, but at that point, it was already too late because the gap had closed a bit. Anyhow, I don't know if I was just lucky, but you'd never know I was missing a tooth back there and it hasn't affected my bite, the way my other teeth look, etc. If your DD has the money, then an implant would be preferable, but even with dental insurance, it will still probably cost around $3K.

I had the 2nd from the back, upper right removed in 1975! Did not get a bridge or anything but I do still wear a retainer to sleep at night so there's been no movement. My other teeth have not been affected either. No one can tell and I am certainly able to eat just fine.

get the implant! The top tooth will start dropping and will eventually need to be pulled. I lost a top molar that way...I opted for an implant on the other side so I could save the top tooth.

Jill in CO

I had the last upper molar on the left and the next to last upper molar on the right removed back around 1978. On the left side, my wisdom tooth came in and took the space of the missing tooth. On the right...well, the space is still there. Nothing shifted or moved around, and I've never had any problem eating. The dentist tried to scare me into having expensive bridge work done but there was no way I could afford it at the time. It's been almost 40 years, with no problems!

I had the last upper molar on the left and the next to last upper molar on the right removed back around 1978. On the left side, my wisdom tooth came in and took the space of the missing tooth. On the right...well, the space is still there. Nothing shifted or moved around, and I've never had any problem eating. The dentist tried to scare me into having expensive bridge work done but there was no way I could afford it at the time. It's been almost 40 years, with no problems!

Because you lets say ran a red light and did not get into a collision does not mean others should do as you did. Your Dentist did not try to "scare" you but rather gave you sound medical/dental advice that was then and still today, supported by fact.

WISE person/patient listens to his/her medical/dental provider's recommendations, gets second opinions if desired and then has the procedure, treatment, etc. done if need be. It is really foolish to play doctor/dentist in regard to your own care, the care of family or friends.

By the way, I am a retired medical professional that has seen so, so many patients that truly regretted playing doctor.

As a dental hygienist just want to recommend that the patient be willing to adhere to proper DAILY brushing and flossing around the implant. Some times patients are under the impression-hey its a metal rod implant I don't need to floss that....wrong! That being said the current standard of care treatment would be for an implant with crown. Be aware there are usually at least 3 fees(stages of treatment) involved (at our office anyway) 1. implant placement, 2. abutment and 3.actual crown. It can be done is stages to spread the cost/ins payments out over a number of years. A big investment to say the least! Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!